“Incredibly delicious food, many vegetarian options” 5 of 5 stars

202-466-2500
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Rasika West End is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 2,768 Restaurants in Washington DC
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: New Hampshire & M Street
Alexandria, VA
“Incredibly delicious food, many vegetarian options”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

We returned to one of our family's favorite restaurant in DC (along with its older sibling, Rasika, Penn Quarter) after an absence of several months and found the food even better than before. One of our party of four is a vegetarian; there were so many wonderful choices for her that our three omnivores all decided to concentrate on non-meat options this time. (We've loved the black cod and other seafood and chicken options in previous visits.)

Palak chat to begin,of course but then several other wonderful veggie choices: a layered eggplant and potato first course, superb smoky lentils (amazing sauce had us scraping the bowl with Nan), an okra and tomato dish, potato dumplings (also in incredible sauce, with apricots), rice, more spinach, the bread basket with added kulcha with goat cheese and a good, moderately priced bottle of wine.

Service was attentive, although our server latched onto our son as his favorite conversation partner, chatting with him each time he visited our table, with little acknowledgement of the two females. We like sitting in the raised library section, but on this hot day, two of our chairs were directly under the A/C unit that was blasting cold air, so if this is a concern, ask to be seated elsewhere. Despite the chilly air, it was a superb meal.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Arlee, Montana
“Best Indian Food on the Planet”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

This was hands down one of the best meals I've ever eaten. We found it on yelp or an app like that and followed the directions. It was hot...so hot...and we considered not staying because without reservations we had to eat outside. But a couple emerging from the restaurant overheard our ambivalence and convinced us to stay. So glad we did.

All I can say is, amazing! This genius mixing of flavors and textures in every dish was an incredible experience ... and believe me, I do not usually feel this way about food! We shared the crispy spinach appetizer... possibly the most insanely delicious thing I've ever eaten. Ever.

I had the railway lamb curry. It was delicious. My friend got the tandoori chicken tikka and it was even more delicious. Like, incredibly delicious.

The desserts are out of this world. I didn't order my own but had bites of others'.

Service: Impeccable. Our server was considerate and careful in his explanation of each dish. The attention to our table lacked nothing. After he learned we were all award-winning teachers, he brought us complimentary champagne!

The prices were also totally reasonable! The server actually split the shared dishes up so we each had a percentage of those - I've never seen this done on separate tickets before. I drank water but had parts of two appetizers plus my lamb dish and chai, and my ticket was $39.

Read my other reviews ... I don't usually use so many superlatives. I will definitely return to Rasika when I get back to DC.

• Visited July 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
geneva switzerland
“excellent food !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

we walked in for an early dinner and got a terrace table on the spot (pavement terrace) .. the food was excellent ! we had one nan bread, 1 starter, 2 mains and a coffee for ~USD 75 .. however best butter chicken EVER ..

not cheap but not overly expensive either - european capital city prices - but i don't mind that when it's gooooooooooood ! .. service was fine ..

we tried to go back the next day but they were fully booked ..

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
zashaari
“Not spicy enough”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

We had the lobster pulao, dhal, shrimp curry and fish. All were good though not spicy enough for my M'sian taste buds. The pulao was a little over salty.

Visited June 2014
orlando, fl
“Overpriced, small portions”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

We wanted to eat Indian for dinner and out of all the choices near our hotel, this one had the most reviews, most of them positive.

We got there before the after-work crowd so we were seated quickly outside. Inside seating would have been a longer wait.

We had 6 people in our party, 4 adults and 2 children.

We ordered drinks, appetizers, and dinner.

I highly recommend the mango shrimp. Tasty and subtle flavors and cooked to perfection. But you only get 4. Our server recommended the Palak Chat, which was also very good. Baby spinach that is lightly fried and served with yogurt chutney. Again, very small portion.

For dinner, we ordered Tandoori Chicken Tikka, Grouper Nimboo, Andhra Chicken Curry, and Chicken Pudina Korma. For breads, we ordered the Bread Basket.

The tandoori was dry - and again, only 4-5 small pieces. For $17, that's a lot for nothing. The fish was very good and interesting combination of flavors. The fish was cooked well. The other two chicken dishes tasted fine, but really nothing special. The chicken had clearly been pre-boiled and just dropped in the sauce before serving to us. The chicken had not had time to absorb the flavors of the curry.

The bread basket was good, but just not enough to justify the price.

I wouldn't recommend this restaurant for dinner. Maybe just for the appetizers and people watching.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere