“A great experience” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Elizabeth's Gone Raw is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #372 of 2,700 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: Vegan
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 14th Street NW
Transit: Elizabeth's Gone Raw is located two blocks north of McPherson Square Metro station on the Orange and Blue lines. Walk out the 14th and H street exit. Once on the street level, walk three blocks in the direction of L Street. Turn right at 13th and L street. Elizabeth’s Gone Raw is the sage townhouse halfway down the block.
Washington, DC
“A great experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

My husband was a little wary, but once the food started to come out, he was hooked! The staff is very friendly and explains all the dishes. Each course is delicious and although I was stuffed, I wanted to keep eating. The room is beautiful and this is a great place for a special occasion. The dishes are very hearty and it is amazing to see what they do with vegan food. It was a wonderful experience and definitely one I would recommend to anyone. Only open on Friday evenings, make a reservation.

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Chapel Hill, North Carolina
“Food and Staff Fantastic”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I really enjoyed our anniversary dinner at EGR. The food was our first experience with a raw and vegan menu.

I was first impressed by the staff. Waitresses and owner were super and very personable. The sommelier was very knowledgeable and excellent. He picked a wonderful pairing for the menu.

So the only criticism I can offer is that the drinks were a bit too expensive before dinner. The wine pairing was $50 pp, but honestly I feel that it was worth the extra $$. However, my wife had a mixed drink and I had a beer and it was almost $25. Our meal was $150 and a good value. Only advice, have happy hour drinks elsewhere if you want to save a little $$. Otherwise, get ready for a fantastic meal!!

North Carolina
“An interesting experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

A friend told us about EGR. It is a great atmosphere, beautiful and enjoyable setting with fantastic servers. The food is a unique experience. I loved the first 3 courses but was not enamored with the main (ruttabega risotto) that tasted like coleslaw...the wine pairing was amazing and well worth it. I would say our price tag of 350 was a shock but it was our anniversary

Holland, Massachusetts
“An experience worth trying, go with an open mind”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

I eat mostly vegan and my husband does at home, but not out. Neither of us had ever tried raw. The atmosphere was spectacular, the staff extremely attentive and genuine. We are open minded eaters and had tried many "fake" foods like cheese and bacon, so those were no threat. The presentation and explanation was excellent. There were 6 courses, we each had 3 we loved, 2 we thought were ok and 1 we didn't care for but could eat. Interestingly they were different like and dislikes for both of us, except we both loved the dessert. We both tried special gluten free Belgian beer. It was good, but pricey at $13. We left stuffed and glad we went there.

• Visited October 2012
Vienna, Virginia
“What's not cooking?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

This restaurant requires advance planning, as it is very popular and is only open on Fridays, so reservations are essential. Elizabeth's is an upscale ($75 per person) vegan restaurant with menu items containing no meat, dairy, gluten, processed sugar, or caffeine, and all its food is served in a nearly raw state. Nothing is cooked above a temperature of 118 degrees. I am not a vegan or even a vegetarian but I have to admit I was generally impressed with my meal. The menu is Une dégustation, i.e., it's a tasting menu, and ours consisted of 6 consecutive servings, beginning with a delicious but thimble-sized "amuse" of puréed carrot and saffron soup. This was followed by a healthy portion or wild arugula salad and fig flat bread, then a tasty appetizer of 3 baby bella mushroom "sliders." The sliders simulated what you'd ordinarily find in your local sports bar, except that mushrooms replaced the burgers, and coconut (really!) convincingly substituted for bacon. A macadamia paste stood in for cheese. The "intermezzo" was a small bowl of celery and granny smith apple soup with exactly those flavors, a surprisingly pleasing combination. The main course of basil and pinenut linguini was plentiful. I like linguini and the "noodles" seemed real though they were actually made of zucchini. This dish was garnished with currants, tomatoes, and sprouted wild rice. The rice flavor was a little too earthy for my taste, like I was eating right out of the soil. After this course I felt quite full, but dessert was yet to come, and this was the most substantial serving of all - a caramel apple crisp spiced with cardamom and topped with lemon "whipped cream" that was actually a purée of cashew nuts. Way too heavy for me to handle at this point, so most of my dessert came home with me in a doggy bag. Elizabeth's has a small, pricey, and somewhat esoteric beer menu. Given the cost I went for quantity over quality and chose a 500ml bottle of gluten-free Green's Tripel Blonde (8.5% abv) from Belgium for $16, which reminded me of a lighter version of Leffe Blonde. My wife had a glass of good pinot for $9. (We had declined the restaurant's offer of separate wine tastings to accompany each serving at $50 per person.) I enjoyed my meal at Elizabeth's. Elizabeth and her service staff were extremely courteous and informative, and it was obvious that great care went into the creation of every dish. Still, best be prepared to part with a couple hundred bucks for a dinner for 2.

• Visited September 2012