“Happy Hour!” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Tapas
Dining options: Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: H and New York Ave.
Description: TAPAS STYLE PLATES WITH A SOUTH AMERICAN TWIST Under the direction of Executive Chef Will Vivas, Recess Tapas Lounge offers an innovative and authentic Latin-inspired menu inspired by traditional dishes from Venezuela, Cuba, Puerto Rico and Chile. Flavorful tapas, combined with fresh daily made Sangria, Mojitos, and a creative specialty cocktail list and wine pairing list make Recess Tapas Lounge the newest and most refreshing addition to the Washington DC destination dining community.
Los Angeles, California
“Happy Hour!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

No complaints here! I've been twice recently during the week to enjoy drinks and a bite to eat both inside at the bar, and at its outdoor seating. Their happy hour specials include a short list of drinks for $5 (Sangria, martini, Black Snapper, etc) and $5 appetizers. The drinks and food I've tried have both been very good. The mussels appetizer came with a really nice sized amount of mussels and was quite tasty. I've also had the new pesto-crusted salmon which I also recomend.

It's location is a tad hidden, but still excellent! It's around the corner from the White House, a block away from the metro, and in walking distance to Chinatown. It's a comfortable, cozy little restaurant so you shouldn't find too much of a crowd or long wait for your food. You're likely to even find parking directly in front of the restaurant on weekday evenings.

With good prices and tasty food items, I'm sure I'll be back to Recess!

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

“Excellent Tapas with a twist”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

We found this excellent place by chance. There was an outside eating area but we opted to eat inside which was in the basement of the building. The atmosphere was great and the staff were very helpful with their advice on the various options. The chef worked in Spain but has Cuban & Venezuelan influences so the food is spicier (but not too hot) than you might expect. The desserts were ok but not of the same standard on the main courses. They have a happy hour which was good for the drinks bill! Highly recommended

Visited May 2013
San Antonio, Texas
“Two is enough to make a meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

I was in DC for a business trip recently and wanted a place to eat close to the hotel. The entrance is below street level and it first seemed more like a night club than a restaurant. However, after trying the food, I can tell you they know how to cook!
The Lomo Saltado was excellent. A nice blend of flavors and a generous serving. The Scallops al Chef were also very good. Two nice size scallops and an excellent pesto sauce with plenty of olive oil. The crab cakes were also very good with a nice crispy exterior and a tender soft interior.
My only mistake was ordering three dishes instead of only two because it was more than enough food for one person's dinner

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Duluth, Minnesota
“Great happy hour specials!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013 via mobile

We had excellent food & service! Our group of 6 Sampled a variety of tapas, enjoyed everything! Loved the plantains with avocado, the grilled spinach, and the sweet potato fries. Save room for dessert--highly recommend the tres leche cake with homemade cream and the banana bread pudding (very chocolatey).

Visited May 2013
Maryland
“The tapas are great!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

I had a Groupon; it's close to a metro; my husband and I love tapas. So, what's not to like? I tried about half the tapas on the menu (far exceeding my Groupon) and really enjoyed everything. My only disappointment was the sauce that came with the calamari. It was a red tomato type sauce that added nothing to the dish. Did it come out of a can? I would have preferred a spicy sauce or at least a sauce that was tasty. Frankly, the calamari was better without it. So, if you get the calamari, just skip the sauce. The other dishes, especially the lamb and the pepper steak, were really, really good. My Groupon included unlimited sangria. The sangria was just ok. On my next visit, I plan to get something else to drink.

Until now, my favorite tapas place was in Adams Morgan, but it's not convenient to the metro. Thus, I either had a long walk, take a cab, or pay a (high) fee to park. While the food and the service are about equal to the place in Adams Morgan, being close to the metro gives Recess tapas the edge.

Don't be put off my the fact that this place is below the sidewalk. Once inside, we were greeted warmlyand seated promptly at approximately 6:30pm on a Friday. While the place does have a "in the basement" vibe and the tables are a tad close, it's not bad. One word of warning--my side of the resturant was pretty dark, and I had to use a pen light to read the menu. I don't know why the other side was better lit. (Maybe it wasn't; maybe it was an optical allusion because I was in the dark). Anyway, the service was good; the food was great. Except for that tomtato sauce, I have no complaints.

• Visited April 2013