“You get what you pay for...” 2 of 5 stars

Add it.
Capital Comfort Hostel
1610 7th Street NW, Washington DC, DC 20001   |
London, United Kingdom
“You get what you pay for...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here as one of my final places on a world trip. I left after 2 nights and checked into another hostel in DC. you can only pay by card which I found odd as most travellers deal in cash. Then I was led by the co owner 3 blocks away to where my room was because it was a "cheap one", whilst asking me on a date. The front door was constantly open with no lock so I didn't really feel safe. The room was split in 2 but was genuinely a sauna... There was 1 industrial fan for 2 rooms... Both nights I woke up constantly because it was so hot. The bathroom was okay! But the kitchen was disgusting... I felt like I was in a squat. Would not stay again!!!

• Stayed August 2013

18 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
brh1976
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

This hostel is spread across two different buildings. The 4-bed and 6-bed rooms are at the indicated location, while the 14-bed rooms are 4 short blocks away. I have stayed at both buildings.

The main location, where the smaller rooms are, is very strange. As other have indicated, the rooms on the first floor lack windows. A few of them have skylights that are maybe 14 feet/5 meters off the ground, but others have neither a window nor a skylight. I'm not sure this is legal, as there is no alternate way out in case of fire. The bathroom in this location is also coed. It has two toilet stalls and two shower stalls. While the showers themselves have shoer curtains, the shower area isn't curtained off in any way. This means you basically have to dress, undress, and towel off while in the shower unless you want to possibly be naked in front of anyone else using the bathroom. These facilities are shared by perhaps 35+ guests.

Because of these failings, the 14-bed location is probably better. It is a rowhouse, and each floor of it is a single 14-bed room. Each floor also has a normal bathroom like you would find in an apartment. Despite having more beds, it actually feels more spacious because there is more space between the bunks and there is ample from the windows at the front and back of the building.

The management is kind of inefficient, and there's really only one guy who knows what he is doing (and even then it takes time to get things done). In my first couple of days, I thought the manager was very friendly, but then I noticed him seriously hitting on one of the female guests who was traveling solo. It was pretty uncomfortable, even as a male observer: another tripadvisor reviewer has written a pretty damning review of her experiences here, and I think female travelers should take her warning very seriously, especially if they are traveling solo.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Washington, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

1.The real address probably far away from the described location , so you have to walk a extra trip to your sleeping place.
2.It will charge you from your credit card in advance no matter you check in or not , so I prepared too many cashes for these 6 days' stay. ( I don't really like it )
3.Weak WiFi signal , So I have to spend some time at the kitchen with a lot of mice , unbelievably , you just see couple big/fat mice run across you.
4.Extremely less restroom than you expected , sometimes , you have to wait for a long long time and then quit.
5.Poor Kitchen facilities , I think you have to bring both food and pan then you can cook here.Plus , No any desks or chair in the Kitchen , No kidding!
6.Dirty floor , I think that's why mice can fertilize here.
7.It's Not cheaper than it's value

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
New Haven, Connecticut
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

This is the worst hostel ever they left me stranded I had to sleep at train station I booked it for 2 nights and I think they are the only hostel out there that requires people to call and confirm even though I did that they gave my bed away and had an audacity to try and charge my credit card luckily I got a new one a day before my travel so they lost out. This people are out to scam travelers stay away

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013 via mobile

Ive stayed here several times. I like it a lot. Staff are friendly and facilities are clean. 24 hour 7/11 around corner plus the metro is there too. I can walk to the capital and all the tourist sites too. The price is reasonable.

• Stayed February 2013
Brisbane
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

Staff member spikes drinks and then sexually assaults travellers.
Do not stay here under any circumstances.
It is dangerous.
Unable to report to police, as have now left DC.
I do hope someone sacks the man.

Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

My wife and myself stayed at that hostel few days of june 2012 . Our bedroom was on the first floor next to the large screen TV on the living room . Our bedroom had no window . The place is very noisy , you can hear conversations from the living room and worse the loud music from the restaurant next door . The worst came out during the night , we were bitten by an army of bedbugs after examination we discovered that there was an infestation of fleas from all sizes . We talked to the management but they ignored the issue and they declined to give us an other room . To my knowledge few other guests had also complained about bedbugs in their room . We didn't get a refund for the night spent and the manager was reluctant to credit back the money we spent for booking four other nights. Obviously in regard to the previous review the problem of bedbugs hasn't be addressed by the management yet . Don't waste your time , money and blood , stay away from the place !

Room Tip: All the bedrooms on the first floor unlike the second floor have no window . ( there are only three...