“Nice hotel outside of the center.” 4 of 5 stars

Kellogg Conference Hotel at Gallaudet University
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   800 Florida Ave. NE, Washington DC, DC 20002   |
Ranked #92 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
Szczecin, Poland
“Nice hotel outside of the center.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2014

I was there for a week. At first glance I though it is more student's house but then it turns out it is hotel after all :-)
Rooms are OK, there is a lot of stuff you won't use (for deaf people).
Breakfast is also fine. Just remember to decide which option you'd like to eat (there are two price versions - the more expensive is not worth of it's price).

Be aware that most of the staff is deaf so the best option is to have piece of pare and a pen with you (just in case of communication issues).

The only thing that might bother is poor public transport (but it seems it is common in USofA).

Room Tip: Avoid the room next to soccer field.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Ridgefield, CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2014

This hotel, located on the campus of a university for the hearing-impaired, is open to all visitors. It is a great value in overpriced Washington and includes a no-cost parking pass to a nearby campus garage. We found the room to be very clean and the breakfast options and quality well above average - except that hot meal options are limited: eggs or sausage patties. The coffee was very good and the baked goods excellent. We booked the top (5th) floor which was very quiet. One caution: the provided alarm clock is extremely loud and vibrates the bed as well - a consequence of the hearing impairments of some guests. Be sure to turn the volume dial on the back side well down! Not in "center city," but fairly close to the NoMa Metro stop or take their shuttle bus to Union Station. The shuttle ends around 9:18 pm from Union Station, so you may have to cab it back.

Room Tip: Ask for top floor placement if you like quiet, especially if a conference has booked at the same tim...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

The room was nice. Beds were comfortable, size of the room was good, etc. No complaints. The hotel is quite centrally located, so that is great if you're touring around DC, and I believe it is a lot less expensive than other centrally located hotels.

The hotel is on the campus of Gallaudet University, and there is a shuttle that takes you to Union Metro Station. The scheduled shuttle runs finish kind of early in summer (7pm - last pick-up at Union Station taking you to the hotel) so we usually ended up taking cabs back to the hotel. That wasn't a big deal because it only cost $10 (not including tip). They also have another shuttle service which picks you up or drops you off at the location of your choice (within a certain distance), but I don't think it operates on weekends.

I have read mixed reviews about the immediate neighbourhood. I didn't want to chance walking to the nearby Noma Metro Station in the dark so we opted to take cabs from Union Station rather than walk. We walked to the nearby Union Market during the day, and it seemed fine, but I didn't want to take a chance just to save $10.

The breakfast was pretty expensive and not all that great. It cost $30 for two people for the buffet that included eggs, and the food was kind of cold-ish. The wait staff also did not speak, they only signed. That wasn't a big deal; we were able to communicate with them quite easily, as did others who did not sign, we noticed. Since the breakfast was a buffet, you didn't need to have detailed conversations with the wait staff, anyway.

Since we didn't want to eat cold and overpriced eggs after that first time, we opted for eating breakfast at Subway at Union Station the rest of the days.

Overall, I'd stay there again. It was comfortable, the room was reasonably priced, and well-located.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Clement G, Manager at Kellogg Conference Hotel at Gallaudet University, responded to this review, August 12, 2014
Thank you for sharing your review so others can benefit from your experience. We are fortunate to be in such a convenient location for all the reasons that you mentioned. Many of our guests enjoy having the option of walking to the Metro/mall or taking the complimentary shuttle. I am glad our location was convenient for your needs.

It is nice to read that you had a good room service experience and your room met your expectations. Regarding the breakfast cost, I have conveyed your review to our Chef as well as our F&B Director. We will certainly look into it.

Thank you again for your review and I hope you return soon! As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Charleston, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

This hotel is very conveniently located to Gallaudet University-its right on the campus! The hotel was modern and well-kept. The staff were pleasant and accommodating. The room was clean and well maintained. I would recommend it and stay here in the future for my visits to the university.

Room Tip: Higher floors have great views.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. It is nice to read that you had such an enjoyable stay. Thank you for your nice comment about our staff.

Thank you again for your review and we look forward to your return! As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

This hotel was a joke! 4 star!!!!! Not.... We were so disappointed to see that these so call $300 night hotel with nothing but two queen size beds to offer was dirty and furniture had dust so thick. After being there two nights we had discovered when housekeeping came in the room that the insert of the bedding had urine stains and was brown. This certainly ruined everything after not trying to complain. When I called ahead to find about refrigerator, they said all we had to do was request it upon arrival. When we arrived, the said we had to pay extra. The went ahead and agreed to refrigerator and sent us one with dust, mold, and dirt. The housekeeper was shocked to see how bad it was and hurried to clean it up then decided to give us a better one. They said the would give full breakfast buffet and changed all the bedding from all the stained sheets and blankets. Since this was all prepaid, the company said it would take 3 to 5 business days to refund money to stay somewhere else. We did not have the to pay for an additional 3 days in downtown DC. I looked at all the reviews and none of them prepared for this nightmare! Will try to upload pictures.

• Stayed July 2014
Garland, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

We got a good deal on a travel package deal to D.C. so we decided to try the Kellogg Conference Hotel. Overall, we had a good experience there. It's a little off the beaten path and tucked in the back of the Gallaudet University. There is a shuttle that will take you back and forth to Union Station about every 20 minutes from 6:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. The rooms were clean and the beds comfortable. The showers and A/C worked great too. The only drawbacks are that there are no microwaves or refrigerators in the room. There also is no continental breakfast, only a breakfast buffet that I believe was $13. I would not mind staying here again, but with everything being even I would probably try staying closer to downtown next time.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for your review. We are happy and honored that you have chosen to make the Kellogg Conference Hotel at Gallaudet University. your choice hotel when you travel to the DC area. Please know we do not take your decision for granted and will continue to work hard to exceed your expectations.

We have many guests that opt to take advantage of our complimentary shuttle which is really very convenient. Regarding the microwave and refrigerators, if you could let us know before your arrival at hotel, we could arrange to keep one for your room. I certainly apologize for the inconvenience. I am pretty surprise that you could not find the continental breakfast, as we have continental breakfast every day (which is $8.99) rather at times we dont have the hot breakfast. I will really appreciate if you please inform me for your future reservation, I will certainly make sure a more comfortable stay.

Thank you again for your review and for your recommendation. We look forward to your return! As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Gainesville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

The hotel is nice and well maintained and the grounds are lovely -lots of green space and the opportunity to sit outside at shaded tables and still have hotel WiFi.
I had meetings in downtown DC so I made frequent use of the two shuttles they offer. There is a university shuttle that will take you to the Metro Stations at NOMA and Union Station. It runs every 20 minutes or so. There is also a hotel shuttle that will take you/pick you up anywhere within 3 miles of the hotel and do it on your schedule. Three miles includes pretty much all of the downtown sites and government offices. Both these shuttles are free and make this hotel an exceedingly convenient place to stay.
The rooms are large (especially for downtown DC) and very clean and well maintained. There are some food option at the hotel but even better is the Union Market just across the street that has a about a dozen restaurants as well as a few specialty shops (gourmet cheese and spices). The food choices include empanadas, fresh fish, and oysters as well as a bakery and a soda shop.
Gallaudet is a University for the deaf, but at the hotel and on the shuttles there is no expectation that you will communicate in sign language, it is all verbal. It is priced at about half of any other nearby hotel. This is definitely where I am staying whenever I am in DC.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. It is nice to read that you and your girlfriend had such an enjoyable stay.

We are fortunate to be in such a convenient location for all the reasons that you mentioned. Many of our guests enjoy having the option of walking to the Metro/mall or taking the complimentary shuttle. I am glad our location was convenient for your needs.). It is nice to read that you had a good room experience and your room met your expectations.

Rooms Division Manager

Been to Kellogg Conference Hotel at Gallaudet University? Share your experiences!