“Suited Our Needs” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #85 of 130 Hotels in Washington DC
London, United Kingdom
“Suited Our Needs”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

Having read a few of the other reviews I am surprised as we found this a nice modern hotel with all the facilities and amenties as advertised on Hotels.com

When we arrived they had no reservation for us despite Hotels.com having debited my credit card with the full amount some 7 weeks beforehand, luckily for us the hotel wasn't busy and the receptionist took a copy of our booking & payment confirmation form that Hotels.com had emailed us and there was no further hassle - won't use Hotels.com again though as I had also phoned from the UK to confirm this reservation with them and they had confirmed it verbally as well as by email - waste of time, phone call and premium call charges.

There was a conference at the hotel the next morning and so we didn't have breakfast at the restuarant but caught the shuttle to the station instead and spent the day touring DC after which we caught the shuttle back again.

Very pleasant stay suited our needs perfectly.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Milwaukee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

Prior to arrival I read reviews and I called for specific details about the shuttle. I was told that it was free, available for drop off and pick up and that it would take us to the airport. I had planned to land at Dulles, but I was told by hotel staff that the shuttle would only take me to Reagan. So, I changed airports. Kellogg was chosen over Westin (which was in a better location and less expensive). I thought the convienience of the shuttle was worth the extra money. To my suprise the hotel looked like the pictures on the internet. Alva (the clerk at the front desk) was friendly and she remembered my phone calls. Gerald the shuttle driver, was awesome. He was personable, dependable and informative. The first few days were great (minus a few minor issues that could have been much worse). After the 3rd day, problems started. Even when scheduled in advance, the shuttle was unavailable and no one told me. So, I came down strairs expecting a shuttle ride and was shocked when I would have to get a taxi or use the University shuttle to the train station and catch a cab from there. Small problems such as no coffee pot in the room caused some dismay but those problems were overshadowed by the kindness of Alva, Gerald and an African American female manager who called a museum for us and showed us how to get to the museum on the subway. At first Ms. Washington (a different staff member) was cold and somewhat unprofessional but her attitude later changed for the better. By the end of the week she was OK too. I left items at the hotel and they will be sent to me (at least that what I was promised) Overall, it was an OK experience. It definately could have been better but also it could have been MUCH Worse.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Newcastle, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

This hotel was a well appointed hotel with really nice rooms with everything you'd expect from a good quality hotel. Only gotcha was the free shuttle which runs to a time table and only goes to Union Station not anywhere we wanted in the city centre as understood and finishes too early in the evening. Taxis were no problem though. The uni setting makes for a very peaceful location. Due to nearby construction there was some noise across the street in the morning but obviously won't last. Free wifi was excellent.

Room Tip: For the remainder of 2012 ask for a room at the back of the hotel to be away from the construction...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Charlotte, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

We stayed at this Hotel while in DC looking for a new apartment. Ironically, I am a Doctoral student at this University. BUYER BEWARE; read carefully what your reservation says if you book through another site at a discount. We were supposed to have a coffee maker in the room, and there was none. Yet all of the fixings, grounds, stirrers and mugs were present. My partner went down to the front desk to ask for the coffee maker. They promised one would be sent up. The next morning rolls around, and I am sure many of you can sympathize -- NO coffee available in the morning is basically torture, to say the least. The clerk gave us coffee from the self serve starbucks machine located in the lobby. However, the following morning -- and still no coffeemaker-- we went down to the lobby and helped ourselves to a cup of coffee.

The lady working at the front desk practically barked at us in front of the entire venue. I do not particularly enjoy being accused of thievery, nor do i appreciate being barked at by a hotel clerk to say the least. There are hundreds of ways in which this situation could have been handled professionally. But I digress. From the looks of the hotel front desk employees, none of them have any relevant training in Hospitality and Tourism. I suppose you really DO get what you pay for.

And here's the kicker: I am deaf and use sign language to communicate. The clerk in question couldn't even manage beyond 'hello, goodbye, and finished.' I am surprised someone with such a rude, cold demeanor could maintain employment in this economy with so many deserving people out of work.

The rooms, to be fair -- are decent, clean, modern. If you're looking for stellar service, I would recommend spending your money elsewhere. If you're on a budget and don't mind a few misgivings, then this will fit the bill.

Room Tip: Ask to face the campus green instead of Faculty Row.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Cape Town Central, South Africa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012

We spent 2 nights here in May. Visiting DC for the first time we had no idea about the location. Its a conference centre situated in the campus of a deaf university. Quiet pretty environment, lovely huge room with free wifi. They have regular shutttles in the day to Union Station but the downside is if you return later than that you have to take the metro and walk about 10-15min in the dark down Florida road. We felt unsafe walking in the dark in that area, not the distance, just the darkness/dodgy feel. Also the breakfast ends at about 9:30 and many people were surprised to see the breakfast being removed at exactly that time so people who arrived late were able to just grab some items while they were being wheeled away. I know we may have been tardy, but just something to note. Otherwise Washington and all the memorials/museums are easy to access via the metro and Union Station so we would probably stay in a more central hotel next time.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2012

This hotel is good but a little strange I felt like I was on an army base it is a gated community several different buildings laying around. I was on a family trip so I def. felt 100% safe. I would def. stay here again about 13 mins from the white house. Very safe feeling place would def. recommend clean,comfy & convenient .

Room Tip: Ask security to direct you to the hotel the hotel building looks identical to the other 10 buildings...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for a weekend college visit with my daughter. Evening check-in was professional and efficient with a phone call to our room to make sure we were satisfied. The organic toiletries were a pleasant surprise. Beds were very comfortable with premium bedding (very high on my priority list). Staff was knowledgable of the area and able to provide pertinent tips on both walking and accessing the Metro. The shuttle to Union Station is a big bonus. We did not take advantage of the on-site Bistro or restaraunt but it deserves mentioning as well. The only reason this was not a perfect stay was the disruptive group of children on our floor the last night that took about two hours to correct (after multiple complaints by patrons). It is very likely that we would stay here again regardless of the reason we're in DC!!

• Stayed February 2012

Been to Kellogg Conference Hotel at Gallaudet University? Share your experiences!