“Great hotel, location not central” 3 of 5 stars

Kellogg Conference Hotel at Gallaudet University
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   800 Florida Ave. NE, Washington DC, DC 20002   |
Ranked #81 of 130 hotels in Washington DC
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Great hotel, location not central”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012

We spent 2 nights here in May. Visiting DC for the first time we had no idea about the location. Its a conference centre situated in the campus of a deaf university. Quiet pretty environment, lovely huge room with free wifi. They have regular shutttles in the day to Union Station but the downside is if you return later than that you have to take the metro and walk about 10-15min in the dark down Florida road. We felt unsafe walking in the dark in that area, not the distance, just the darkness/dodgy feel. Also the breakfast ends at about 9:30 and many people were surprised to see the breakfast being removed at exactly that time so people who arrived late were able to just grab some items while they were being wheeled away. I know we may have been tardy, but just something to note. Otherwise Washington and all the memorials/museums are easy to access via the metro and Union Station so we would probably stay in a more central hotel next time.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

107 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2012

This hotel is good but a little strange I felt like I was on an army base it is a gated community several different buildings laying around. I was on a family trip so I def. felt 100% safe. I would def. stay here again about 13 mins from the white house. Very safe feeling place would def. recommend clean,comfy & convenient .

Room Tip: Ask security to direct you to the hotel the hotel building looks identical to the other 10 buildings...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for a weekend college visit with my daughter. Evening check-in was professional and efficient with a phone call to our room to make sure we were satisfied. The organic toiletries were a pleasant surprise. Beds were very comfortable with premium bedding (very high on my priority list). Staff was knowledgable of the area and able to provide pertinent tips on both walking and accessing the Metro. The shuttle to Union Station is a big bonus. We did not take advantage of the on-site Bistro or restaraunt but it deserves mentioning as well. The only reason this was not a perfect stay was the disruptive group of children on our floor the last night that took about two hours to correct (after multiple complaints by patrons). It is very likely that we would stay here again regardless of the reason we're in DC!!

• Stayed February 2012
Chesapeake, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2011

I just returned from a week's stay at the Kellogg Conference Hotel for a conference that was from Tuesday to Friday morning. I drove right onto the Gallaudet campus in my personal vehicle, so have no insight into the Metro or getting to the hotel from the airport.

Check in was a breeze and I was delighted to learn that the parking fee for the hotel was a paltry $18/night. Compared to other DC hotels, that's a steal. I was directed to my room on the 4th floor. The room size was smaller than I am accustomed to. It was a two queen bedroom, but the room was sized to hold the two beds and nothing much else. I did have a nice desk chair to work from and bureau for my clothing, on top of which was a Samsung flat screen television (32", is my guess). I prefer rooms that might hold one queen bed, plus a table and sitting chair or two. I do not like using a bed as furniture for watching television or having a conversation with a visitor to the room.

Internet in was free and freakishly fast for a hotel. I had both wired and wireless available to me in my room, but did learn that others in my conference did not have the wired option in their rooms. Luck of the draw, I guess. My business issued laptop only takes wired. I was told the other rooms were as well wired, but they were "turned off".

The food in the hotel at their breakfast and lunch bistro was fantastic. Both meals were buffet style with different prices for the options available. Lunches were especially non-traditional and flavorful. Being the school is for the deaf, the staff in the restaurant was as well deaf. I still managed everyday of my stay to get wonderful meals and learned to say Thank You in sign language.

A very nice stay for this conference.

Room Tip: Rooms are wired for internet (not only wireless), but are turned off. I was told that the front des...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2011

Fossil I really enjoyed my stay here, the hotel rooms are clean and well appointed, only a few years old I think.

The staff are really nice and the facility are good.

As its on a University campus it was pretty quiet and felt safe.

It’s a conference centre so you will have a loot of business types getting around but that’s no problem.

Parking was in a multilevel secure car park about 300m from the Hotel. No worries with walking from there to the Hotel at night as its well lit and patrolled by Uni Police.

If you are looking to stay out of the City but not to far and have a clean, well appointed Hotel with lovely staff then this Hotel is for you.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
Munich, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2011

I have known of Gallaudet University as the first American institution for deaf-mute persons and wanted to try out Kellog Conference Center as Gallaudet is reasonably close to Union Station, and therefore to downtown D.C. This is true--but I would advise against walking (certainly not at night) through a depressed area. The free shuttle runs very often and is mostly on time (though not during rush hour)--it's the easiest way of getting to the hotel. There is a parking garage near the hotel, but parking is something like $ 18.00 for 24 hours--not exactly cheap.

The Conference Center itself is nicely furnished, clean and inviting; the rooms are on the small side but perfectly adequate. Breakfast is very good and generous--and your servers will be deaf-mute (only the supervisor can speak). But that is perhaps the most astounding--and exhilarating--experience: To see how happy and perfectly functioning this group of students is, who would not consider themselves "handicapped."

I would recommend the Kellog Conference Center for anyone who wants to gain insight into a world that will normally be closed to most of us.

Room Tip: No preference--rooms are on the upper floors, above the conference rooms, anyway.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Stuttgart
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2011

A place we can only but recommend; very nice atmosphere and safe surrounding at the university area; friendly and helpful staff; quiet and clean room; free and fast Internet; good breakfast you have to pay for; free regular bus service to train station which was great; expensive parking. We definitely will book in again when coming to Washington

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Been to Kellogg Conference Hotel at Gallaudet University? Share your experiences!