This hotel might have water views but it has been built on land wedged between a freeway on one side and a freight railway line on another. It is also poorly soundproofed resulting in either traffic noise for the waterview rooms or freight train noise, including the horn sounding, for other rooms. Even when there is an otherwise quiet period, it is inevitably interrupted by noise in adjacent rooms or in the corridor. I did not sleep well on my first night due to road works on the freeway being performed all night long. The hotel should have known about this.
The service is patchy. On check-in at 6pm I was shown a nice room on a high floor with waterview and the Jefferson memorial in the distance. But after unpacking I was informed that I was being moved elsewhere due to someone else having reserved the room! The room they attempted to move me to was darker and in a less desirable wing with restricted views. I rejected the room and after much negotiation was "upgraded" to a suite in the same wing, but with only a King bed and not twin beds as booked. The roller bed was comfortable though.
There is only one bank of elevators serving both wings of the hotel, resulting in lengthy walks if you are in the wrong wing (like I was). The hotel also needs some up dating as far as soft furnishings. Also, one of the towels in my "suite" was threadbare. The gym is adequate and the pool is great. The breakfasts are ordinary 4 star fare.
Overall, the hotel is located on the wrong side of the Mall although it is in within easy walking distance of the Smithsonian Science museums.
I was on a amex platinum package, but the price was outrageous considering this hotel, despite its name, is no 5 star hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The hotel's unique location on the southwest waterfront makes Mandarin Oriental, Washington D.C. The only hotel offering views of the Jefferson Memorial and Washington Monument, Tidal Basin and Washington Marina. In addition to exceptional accommodations and gracious service, the hotel features the Forbes Four-Star Spa at Mandarin Oriental, Muze, with locally sourced, Asian-inspired fare and fabulous views, and the AAA Five Diamond CityZen. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Mandarin Oriental, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, HotelTravel.com and Tingo so you can book your Mandarin Oriental, Washington D.C. reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mandarin Oriental, Washington d.c. Hotel Washington Dc
- Mandarin Oriental Hotel Washington Dc
- Mandarin Oriental Washington Dc
- Mandarin Washington Dc
- Washington Dc Mandarin Oriental