The Mandarin DC is a good business hotel with comfortable rooms and several large conference spaces. The highlight of my experience was the view offered by my relatively small corner room – I could see the Washington Monument not just from the bed, but also from the over-sized tub in the bathroom. Although the bedroom was smaller than I expected, it offered two walls of windows (the other window overlooking the Jefferson Memorial), and the bathroom was most spacious with a separate large shower (with a bench) and bathtub.
The food in the hotel is decent, and I enjoyed prompt room service for breakfast as well as a very good dinner catered by the hotel. The conference rooms are large and definitely a notch above your mainstream, rather dated conference rooms at less luxurious American chain hotels.
My points of criticism concern the hotel’s location and the unreliable front desk service. Firstly, although my room offered one of the better views at the hotel (I assume), the room was right above train tracks. Yes, train tracks. This did not make for the soundest sleep. Secondly, the check-out process what indeed a process.... Despite only one other person waiting in line with me, it was an easy 15 minutes from the time I stepped behind this other guest and from when I was finally out the door. I was also disappointed to see that the hotel made an error on my bill and over-charged me. For some reason it took a long time to make the correction, and for some other reason, they were unable to print out a copy of the corrected bill. I never received the invoice via email, and had to follow up twice to resolve the issue. While this was certainly a hassle, I did find the staff otherwise professional and very friendly.
While I recommend this hotel for larger groups, business travelers, and for event spaces, it does not come without flaws, and you must remember to ask for a room away from the choo-chooing of the trains. For those seeking a romantic getaway, I would probably look to one of the smaller establishments near Farragut West / McPherson.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The hotel's unique location on the southwest waterfront makes Mandarin Oriental, Washington D.C. The only hotel offering views of the Jefferson Memorial and Washington Monument, Tidal Basin and Washington Marina. In addition to exceptional accommodations and gracious service, the hotel features the Forbes Four-Star Spa at Mandarin Oriental, Muze, with locally sourced, Asian-inspired fare and fabulous views, and the AAA Five Diamond CityZen. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Tingo, Mandarin Oriental, Travelocity, Otel, Expedia, Hotels.com and Venere so you can book your Mandarin Oriental, Washington D.C. reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mandarin Oriental, Washington d.c. Hotel Washington Dc
- Mandarin Oriental Hotel Washington Dc
- Mandarin Oriental Washington Dc
- Mandarin Washington Dc
- Washington Dc Mandarin Oriental