“It's official, I'm a hotel SNUB!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mandarin Oriental, Washington D.C.

Save Saved
You added Mandarin Oriental, Washington D.C. to your Saves list
Mandarin Oriental, Washington D.C.
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1330 Maryland Avenue, SW, Washington DC, DC 20024   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Complimentary 3rd Night
Ranked #35 of 130 hotels in Washington DC
New York
“It's official, I'm a hotel SNUB!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

I stayed at this property last week for a business trip. I had never stayed at a Mandarin property so I was super excited about my stay. Despite a few minor preferences and a bad dish from room service, I really enjoyed my stay. See details below.

Food - I had a tight meeting schedule so I was only able to order room service. The service was accurate and fast. I ordered the Sea Bass and a salad. Unfortunately, I did not care for the fish and the in-room dining staff graciously removed the charges from my bill without me asking them.

Service - Generally speaking the service was on par for a luxury hotel. The check-in staff was wonderfully and very friendly. The only surprise was the staff in their Taipan Lounge! I COMPLETE FAIL. I wasn't greeted upon arrival with my enthusiasm nor was I offered water, nuts, ect.... (REALLY BAD SERVICE EXPERIENCE).

Gym - doesn't open until 5:30 which is somewhat problematic when I'm on-site for a conference and I need to work out before my attendees come down
Spa - I didn't have the opportunity to fully experience the spa this time but I will be back.

Atmosphere - I love the decor and vibe. Very trendy but not over the top.

Location - In terms of proximately to downtown the locations is off the beaten path but a short 10/15 minute cab ride.

Little Things - So here's where the SNUB in me comes out. They did not have any plugs near the nightstands...I HATE this. My welcome amenity was below average (a box of mini-chocolates).

Price/value - NA

Return(ability) - Yes, I will be back and would recommend for the business/leisure traveler that doesn't mind being a distance from center city.

Room Tip: Ask for water view or 8/9 floor rooms.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

759 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
  • Polish first
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

We really enjoyed the luxury and convenience of this hotel. We were in the area for a charity event, and this hotel fit our needs perfectly. We also had a wonderful evening out with friends and slept very well on the extremely comfortable bed. Fortunately we had a car so that we could get around the city. We rarely interacted with the staff, but when we did so, they were polite and accommodating.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

We stayed four nights in a water view suite. We were dropped off by our daughter, who the doorman referred to, on and off as we encountered him, as "the princess." He knew (I am not sure how), and correctly pronounced my last name (not an easy task). Very cordial. The staff at the front desk were polite and always helpful, as was the concierge. The suite was beautiful, quiet, and clean. Our suite included a balcony, which overlooked the Potomac and the Pentagon--a very wide view. We tried the MO in Boston a couple of years back, and made a point of staying at another when we got a chance. This one didn't disappoint. If you like places like the Peninsula or Ritz-Carleton in Chicago (our frequent favorites), you will probably be very happy with this MO. One thing worth mentioning: the hotel is in a quite area of the city, 3-4 blocks south of the mall. We found it very pleasant and conveniently located, and it will be our D.C. hotel. If, however, you want to stay in a more bustling part of town, this might be too quiet for you.

Somewhere
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

I have come here 3x for conference and 3x for pleasure. I always enjoy my stay. I wish the gym opened earlier for us morning folks. The oncerence facilities are great. No complaints with food. Great place to stay for a special weekend or uber important client.

• Stayed March 2013
Carmel, Indiana, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

I took my girlfriend there to celebrate her birthday, and I let the staff know. They had not one but TWO bottles of champagne on ice waiting for us. They also had chocolate covered strawberries that said Happy Birthday (it was made of chocolate, and it was delicious). They also left us a small box of some locally made DELICIOUS chocolates. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The room as absolutely amazing. It was clean, large, and comfortable. It felt very homey and from the minute we walked in to the minute we left, the experience was perfect. We didn't want to leave. We had drinks at the Empress Lounge, and even they were near perfection. The cocktails were well crafted, and even though they were very busy, I got my drink very quickly. After a few drinks, we went to Sou'Wester. She had the rock fish, I had the BBQ chicken. Everything was perfect. The server and the staff were very friendly, and the food came very quickly.

Overall, excellent experience.

Room Tip: Corner suites are epic.
Herndon, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

This hotel is off the beaten track in DC and expensive, but the luxury is worth it for a special occasion. We stayed in an Executive Water View Suite and it was perfect. This was an ADA room with roll in shower. The view was delightful; the Jefferson Memorial, trains, plains, automobiles plus boats and helicopters. You know it's upscale when the wall art has its own central switch; one for the sitting room and one for the bedroom. Shack at the concierge desk did wonders with the flowers and Grace in reservations deftly handled the accessible room request. Don't expect to walk out the door and go sightseeing on foot, but cabs are aplenty.

Room Tip: Call in for help with this.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

i consistently like to stay at mandarins for business although the HK ones are the best. i have come here twice for a large conference and did not feel the size impacted service. i had a room ready with lovely view and the typical checkin treat which at this hotel is some apple cider with the hot towel. the conference experience was very good - well laid out and the empress lounge was a good mixing spot separate from the ballroom floor. i can't imagine it was too appealling for those visitors who weren't at the conference given it is front and center of the lobby - but that made it very good for networking for the conference.
the location is really the issue for this hotel. this is in a newly developed part of town near the marina that is "in the middle of nowhere" in DC. the street the hotel is on now has a potbelly deli and a starbucks which are good snack options when you don't want to pay hotel restaurant prices. It is very well located (walking distance) to the Mall where all the museums are. so it is excellent for tourists as long as there is no massive conference at that time. for business travellers, however, it is not walking distance to anything so you have to grab cabs to your location. this area has no other restaurants that are of business level within walking distance and the subway is not walking distance.
This would be a 5 star hotel but for the location however the locatoin is great for tourists.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Been to Mandarin Oriental, Washington D.C.? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Mandarin Oriental, Washington D.C.

Address: 1330 Maryland Avenue, SW, Washington DC, DC 20024
Location: United States > District of Columbia > Washington DC
#18 Luxury Hotel in Washington DC
#22 Business Hotel in Washington DC
#38 Romantic Hotel in Washington DC
#53 Family Hotel in Washington DC
Price Range (Based on Average Rates): $$$$
Hotel Class:5 star — Mandarin Oriental, Washington D.C. 5*
The hotel's unique location on the southwest waterfront makes Mandarin Oriental, Washington D.C. The only hotel offering views of the Jefferson Memorial and Washington Monument, Tidal Basin and Washington Marina. In addition to exceptional accommodations and gracious service, the hotel features the Forbes Four-Star Spa at Mandarin Oriental, Muze, with locally sourced, Asian-inspired fare and fabulous views, and the AAA Five Diamond CityZen. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Tingo, Mandarin Oriental, Travelocity, Otel, Hotels.com, Expedia and Venere so you can book your Mandarin Oriental, Washington D.C. reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Mandarin Oriental, Washington d.c. Hotel Washington Dc
Mandarin Oriental Hotel Washington Dc
Mandarin Oriental Washington Dc
Mandarin Washington Dc
Washington Dc Mandarin Oriental

If you own or manage Mandarin Oriental, Washington D.C., register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.