“Anniversary Trip” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mandarin Oriental, Washington D.C.

Save Saved
You added Mandarin Oriental, Washington D.C. to your Saves list
Mandarin Oriental, Washington D.C.
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1330 Maryland Avenue, SW, Washington DC, DC 20024   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Complimentary 3rd Night
Ranked #37 of 130 hotels in Washington DC
DC
“Anniversary Trip”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

This is our 4th stay at the Mandarin to celebrate our anniversary. I noticed some distinct differences from our last trip when we were upgraded to a suite after booking a tai pan level- room, and receiving a complimentary bottle of champagne. Neither of those happened this year. I know I should not expect "freebies", however, our loyalty to this hotel among the hundred+ in the DC area should account for something? We upgraded to a suite on our own and walked away with a hefty hotel bill (which should be expected). Anyway, the spa was wonderful, as usual. Room service was great. We went to CityZen last year, but opted to stay in this year. Good time overall.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

756 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
  • Polish first
Charlottesville, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

I and guest have now stayed at the M.O. on 5 separate occasions since about June, 2012, with my most recent stay the weekend of Feb. 2. Through the friendly and helpful efforts of Tim Harleth (I believe Tim to be the Assistant Manager) Tim has arranged beautiful rooms that fully accommodated each of my parties. The hotel is beautiful and all the service, from bell persons, to car parks, to housekeeping, and certainly front desk personnel has been as crisp and friendly as I have ever experienced. Bravo Tim and Co!

Room Tip: Rooms with a view of the water are to my preference.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Recently stayed at the Mandarin Oriental Washington DC for a birthday getaway and was incredibly impressed with the hotel and the exceptional customer service of ALL the staff. Prior to our stay we spoke with Jack, the Concierge, who gave fabulous recommendations and made reservations on our behalf (all of which were fabulous by the way). Our entire stay at the hotel was an incredible and very memorable experience. We absolutely couldn't have been happier. The property was gorgeous and the room very nice. Location worked out perfectly for all the restaurants and museums we visited. Would highly recommend to anyone seeking an elegant and special hotel experience. Looking forward to our next visit.

Room Tip: Enjoyed the delux city view room that overlooked Washington Monument. Gorgeous view.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013 via mobile

When I heard the company that I work for was sending us to the Mandarin Oriental, well I was stoked. But then I saw the price tag for Inauguration Week: $1,000 usd a night!! For that type of money I had high expectations, but boy was I in for a surprise.

The rooms are small, like New York type of small. But that was not the problem. The first day they left a welcoming present, a tray with "jamon serrano", nuts and chocolate. Well, that tray stayed in my room for 4 days, and no one took it out. The same thing with a replica of the White House made out of chocolate and flowers. They just keep bringing stuff in but not out.

But the granddaddy of all the thing that are wrong with this hotel is: the toilet seat in my bathroom had brown stains in it!! That is just disgusting!!

The staff did go up to my room and clean it, they offered my a bottle of wine, but I don't complain because I want free stuff (I mean this is a $1,000 dollars room!!) I complain because I want things to be done correctly.

The one good thing you can say about this place is the concierge service they have is one of the best. The problem is you don't seep on the concierge desk.

So, if you think of staying in the Mandarin Oriental my advice to you is: Run, run as fast and as far as you can.

Stayed January 2013
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We stayed at the Mandarin when the DC area suffered a major power outage and it was an unpleasant experience all round as the hotel was slammed and under staffed. We were given a "do - over" due to the circumstances which I appreciated and we took advantage of it recently. The room was as requested with a rollaway. The bar experience before dinner was excellent and the service was what we expected on the first stay. The front desk was extemely hospitable and we felt much, much better after the second stay. Yes, $40 (mandatory) concierge and $15 internet (I hate that one more) is expensive after you paid full rate for the room - I do wish they would look at that. However it is the Mandarin Oriental after all and if the service is up to par, it won't sting that much. We all have the opportunity to stay somewhere less expensive if that is the prime motivation.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Charlottesville, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

I stayed at the Mandarin a couple of months ago for a short work trip and was very impressed.

The service was excellent. I left my computer charger at home and the concierge (I believe her name was Lynn) was kind enough to loan me her personal charger.

The property itself is beautiful. My room had a stunning view of the Potomac and was well furnished The bed was very comfortable. The bathroom was incredible. I also had access to the Tai Pan club, and enjoyed a very nice breakfast there.

The only downside is that the location is somewhat removed. Also, the room service lunch I had was mediocre (but quite pricey). I should mention that the ABA rate I got was pretty reasonable, so make sure to check that rate if you are a member.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

My husband and I stayed here over the holidays for one night. We had a premium water view room which was small and had stains on the furniture. The bar in the lobby was nice but freezing. Room service was just average. You have to pay for wifi and it is not very strong! Parking $50 for one night! Did not feel like it was the luxury experience you would expect from the mandarin. We will try the ritz or four seasons next time.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Mandarin Oriental, Washington D.C.? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Mandarin Oriental, Washington D.C.

Address: 1330 Maryland Avenue, SW, Washington DC, DC 20024
Location: United States > District of Columbia > Washington DC
#20 Luxury Hotel in Washington DC
#24 Business Hotel in Washington DC
#39 Romantic Hotel in Washington DC
#53 Family Hotel in Washington DC
Price Range (Based on Average Rates): $$$
Hotel Class:5 star — Mandarin Oriental, Washington D.C. 5*
The hotel's unique location on the southwest waterfront makes Mandarin Oriental, Washington D.C. The only hotel offering views of the Jefferson Memorial and Washington Monument, Tidal Basin and Washington Marina. In addition to exceptional accommodations and gracious service, the hotel features the Forbes Four-Star Spa at Mandarin Oriental, Muze, with locally sourced, Asian-inspired fare and fabulous views, and the AAA Five Diamond CityZen. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Tingo, Mandarin Oriental, Travelocity, Otel, Expedia, Despegar.com and Venere so you can book your Mandarin Oriental, Washington D.C. reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Mandarin Oriental, Washington d.c. Hotel Washington Dc
Mandarin Oriental Hotel Washington Dc
Mandarin Oriental Washington Dc
Mandarin Washington Dc
Washington Dc Mandarin Oriental

If you own or manage Mandarin Oriental, Washington D.C., register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.