“Very nice and comfortable hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mandarin Oriental, Washington D.C.

Save Saved
You added Mandarin Oriental, Washington D.C. to your Saves list
Mandarin Oriental, Washington D.C.
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1330 Maryland Avenue, SW, Washington DC, DC 20024   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Complimentary 3rd Night
Ranked #35 of 130 hotels in Washington DC
Idaho Falls
“Very nice and comfortable hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

I like to stay here when traveling to DC. The location is good, rooms are well appointed with a luxurious bathroom. I stayed in one of the standard king rooms and was very comfortable. The staff is friendly and helpful but the poor desk clerk could have used some assistance in handling the busy morning checkout. I will stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: I have stayed on all sides with comfort.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

773 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
  • Polish first
Hoboken
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

This hotel definitely does not deserve the Mandarian Oriental Name. I traveled down to DC for the giants at redskins game with someone who works for me. I also booked my reservations throught the American Express Centurion Travel program so I have stayed at the St. Regis and other great hotels in DC. However, I thought I would try the Mandarin but what a mistake I made by not picking another hotel. Upon Arrival, security was so concerned with actors and actresses who were checking into the Hotel for an awards program at the Kennedy Center that we were treated like trash. The rooms are small and attrocious for a Mandarin. The attitude of the staff is amazing. Most of the staff needs to take a class on customer service. The Breakfast buffet looked more like something you would get at a Motel 6. Finally, to top it off after returning from the game, since I have some health issues I asked the only person at the front desk to get me security because I needed oxygen, she didn't even lift her head up and when the wonderful security guard came down he had no clue. Finally, I got oxygen from EMTS. The next morning, my family had to fly down from NJ to make sure I didn't have to be admitted to the Hospital but Ron the Safe and Sound manager who is an incompetent fool explained to one of my family members if I had to stay extra he would have to charge. He didn't have the courtesy to help or ask if I needed any assitance just about what the charge would be. Then housekeeping and the mini bar service knocked at my door 3 times eventhough wonderful Ron had told me he would make sure I got rest. I don't say this amount many people but Ron and most of the staff at the Manadarin should find another line of employment because they certainly don't have customer service experience.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

Stayed at this hotel for a conference. It's a bit isolated - not much within walking distance - but this wasn't a big problem for us as we were attending events within the hotel for most of the stay. Very grand building, the rooms are pleasant, if a bit bland, but that's expected with a luxury hotel chain. The bathroom was the nicest part, with an enormous, full-length tub. The beds are comfortable and the bedding was excellent quality. There are no coffee makers in the rooms but they will bring one if you call the desk and ask for one - however, they will not replenish the coffee and there is no cream or whitener provided. You are a bit at the mercy of the hotel restaurant and room service otherwise. The food is good, but expensive and there's not much selection nearby. Not one I'd pick unless I was driving (which I tend not to do in a city with a good metro system).

So all in all, a very nice hotel if the luxury chain experience is for you. I tend to prefer boutique hotels and quirkier places that are a little less formal, so it didn't blow me away but I didn't have much complaint, either.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Inderoy Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

Satisfaction depends on expectations. From what I had read about this hotel my expectations were high. Did I get my expectations fulfilled? I was not overwhelmed or surprised by anything special in this hotel during my stay, but on the other side I did not have any bad experiences either.
This is a nice hotel with a friendly staff, a spacious lobby area, and I got a nice room (when I at last found it after walking through what at first time seemed to be a maze like system of corridors). The view from my room was nothing special, but the room was quiet, the bed was also very comfortable and I slept very well.The bathroom was quite large, there were a lot of toiletries and the towels and robes were plush, The shower had excellent waterpressure. Breakfast was good.
The location of the hotel is a bit away from everything and not very central. I attended a conference at this hotel so I was busy most of the time and for that purpose I did not need to be close to the city center nor tourist attractions.

My conclusion: Very good hotel, but there was nothing "really special" about it which would make me want to come back.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Poughkeepsie, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

I debated between average and very good rating and after writing this review, went back and changed it to the former. As many have noted, it is not in a convenient location. The hotel is a few blocks from the nearest Metro stop and despite its claim of being near Capitol Hill, it is not. I made the mistake of being dropped off at the banquet entrance one day without checking to see if the door was open. It was not and the walk back to the front was circuitous and via a very sketchy area of parking lots and highway. However, the highway makes this hotel convenient to Reagan National Airport. You can get there in about 15 minutes.

The lobby is expansive and ornate and check-in was a little slow because of the volume of guests and some of their room demands. I was there for an evening fundraiser and got a rate that was half the normal $600+ per night. They even granted me the same rate for a second night, thought there was hesitation at first.

My room was nice, but not outstanding. The bed was very comfortable and there was a desk that allowed me to get some work done. Some of the furniture was chipped or worn, which, at this price point, should not be the case. The bathroom was spacious with a separate tub and shower. The towels and robes were plush and the hotel featured Gilchrist and Soames toiletries.

I had dinner one night and breakfast the following morning at Sou’Wester, both were excellent and made more enjoyable by the fine waitstaff and the view. I regret not trying CityZen, which got a great write-up in the Washington Post the day I checked out. The food at the fundraiser was also excellent, though putting several hundred people in a hallway for the cocktail hour produced such a cacophony of noise, I went back to my room for a bit to clear my head.

The Mandarin's fitness center is top-notch, though the view is of trains inching by. I did not visit the spa or use the pool.

There is better room upkeep at the Fairmont and Sofitel at less exorbitant rates. I would stay at the Mandarin Oriental only if there was a super deal or if attending a conference or other event there.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Sao Paulo, SP
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

By far one of the best hotels I've ever stayed in. Everything was perfect.
The staff is great, the food is amazing and the location is prime.
Close to the best place is the city.
Fantastic views from every room

• Stayed November 2012
Tulsa, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

I wanted to compare this with the Four Seasons, so I spent a Friday night here and Saturday at the Four Seasons. The physical facilites of both are comparable but I would give the edge to Four Seasons when it comes to service. Staff did not seem to anticipate your needs like the Four Seasons. English was a second language for most employees and some things could have gotten lost in translation. Breakfast was exceptional. All and all a very nice place to stay.

Room Tip: Junior suite very good value.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to Mandarin Oriental, Washington D.C.? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Mandarin Oriental, Washington D.C.

Address: 1330 Maryland Avenue, SW, Washington DC, DC 20024
Location: United States > District of Columbia > Washington DC
#19 Luxury Hotel in Washington DC
#27 Business Hotel in Washington DC
#37 Romantic Hotel in Washington DC
#51 Family Hotel in Washington DC
Price Range (Based on Average Rates): $$$$
Hotel Class:5 star — Mandarin Oriental, Washington D.C. 5*
The hotel's unique location on the southwest waterfront makes Mandarin Oriental, Washington D.C. The only hotel offering views of the Jefferson Memorial and Washington Monument, Tidal Basin and Washington Marina. In addition to exceptional accommodations and gracious service, the hotel features the Forbes Four-Star Spa at Mandarin Oriental, Muze, with locally sourced, Asian-inspired fare and fabulous views, and the AAA Five Diamond CityZen. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Mandarin Oriental, Tingo, Hotels.com, Expedia, Otel and Venere so you can book your Mandarin Oriental, Washington D.C. reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Mandarin Oriental, Washington d.c. Hotel Washington Dc
Mandarin Oriental Hotel Washington Dc
Mandarin Oriental Washington Dc
Mandarin Washington Dc
Washington Dc Mandarin Oriental

If you own or manage Mandarin Oriental, Washington D.C., register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.