“A very good hotel, but nothing special about it.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mandarin Oriental, Washington D.C.

You added Mandarin Oriental, Washington D.C. to your Saves list
Mandarin Oriental, Washington D.C.
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1330 Maryland Avenue, SW, Washington DC, DC 20024   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Complimentary 3rd Night
Ranked #31 of 131 Hotels in Washington DC
Inderoy Norway
“A very good hotel, but nothing special about it.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

Satisfaction depends on expectations. From what I had read about this hotel my expectations were high. Did I get my expectations fulfilled? I was not overwhelmed or surprised by anything special in this hotel during my stay, but on the other side I did not have any bad experiences either.
This is a nice hotel with a friendly staff, a spacious lobby area, and I got a nice room (when I at last found it after walking through what at first time seemed to be a maze like system of corridors). The view from my room was nothing special, but the room was quiet, the bed was also very comfortable and I slept very well.The bathroom was quite large, there were a lot of toiletries and the towels and robes were plush, The shower had excellent waterpressure. Breakfast was good.
The location of the hotel is a bit away from everything and not very central. I attended a conference at this hotel so I was busy most of the time and for that purpose I did not need to be close to the city center nor tourist attractions.

My conclusion: Very good hotel, but there was nothing "really special" about it which would make me want to come back.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Poughkeepsie, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

I debated between average and very good rating and after writing this review, went back and changed it to the former. As many have noted, it is not in a convenient location. The hotel is a few blocks from the nearest Metro stop and despite its claim of being near Capitol Hill, it is not. I made the mistake of being dropped off at the banquet entrance one day without checking to see if the door was open. It was not and the walk back to the front was circuitous and via a very sketchy area of parking lots and highway. However, the highway makes this hotel convenient to Reagan National Airport. You can get there in about 15 minutes.

The lobby is expansive and ornate and check-in was a little slow because of the volume of guests and some of their room demands. I was there for an evening fundraiser and got a rate that was half the normal $600+ per night. They even granted me the same rate for a second night, thought there was hesitation at first.

My room was nice, but not outstanding. The bed was very comfortable and there was a desk that allowed me to get some work done. Some of the furniture was chipped or worn, which, at this price point, should not be the case. The bathroom was spacious with a separate tub and shower. The towels and robes were plush and the hotel featured Gilchrist and Soames toiletries.

I had dinner one night and breakfast the following morning at Sou’Wester, both were excellent and made more enjoyable by the fine waitstaff and the view. I regret not trying CityZen, which got a great write-up in the Washington Post the day I checked out. The food at the fundraiser was also excellent, though putting several hundred people in a hallway for the cocktail hour produced such a cacophony of noise, I went back to my room for a bit to clear my head.

The Mandarin's fitness center is top-notch, though the view is of trains inching by. I did not visit the spa or use the pool.

There is better room upkeep at the Fairmont and Sofitel at less exorbitant rates. I would stay at the Mandarin Oriental only if there was a super deal or if attending a conference or other event there.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Sao Paulo, SP
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

By far one of the best hotels I've ever stayed in. Everything was perfect.
The staff is great, the food is amazing and the location is prime.
Close to the best place is the city.
Fantastic views from every room

• Stayed November 2012
Tulsa, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

I wanted to compare this with the Four Seasons, so I spent a Friday night here and Saturday at the Four Seasons. The physical facilites of both are comparable but I would give the edge to Four Seasons when it comes to service. Staff did not seem to anticipate your needs like the Four Seasons. English was a second language for most employees and some things could have gotten lost in translation. Breakfast was exceptional. All and all a very nice place to stay.

Room Tip: Junior suite very good value.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Shame on you for charging $50 to park my car. Seriously. I advise guests to use the garage next door for $20.

Otherwise, had a nice anniversary mini-vacation. Alex at the front desk was awesome and gave us a spectacular room vs the original room on the 2nd floor facing the train tracks. We booked through Amex Platinum and enjoyed the benefits. Service was excellent mainly. Pool is one of the nicest in the city but could be kept warmer (it was cold, probably for lap swimmers). Dinner at City Zen was just OK; breakfast at SouWester was great. Drinks in the Empress Bar were perfect - try the Sake-tini which is not on the menu but available.

My one complaint: I didnt sleep that well - mattress was worn in. Felt lumpy and cheap. Perhaps time to replace them. Compared to the Westin, W, Four Seasons mattresses, it was far inferior.

Room Tip: High floor away from train.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

This was a combination business and romantic getaway. I've always heard about the Mandarin Oriental experience and this was my first opportunity to try it first hand. To be honest I was skeptical at first about how suitable the hotel would be for a romantic getaway but I could not have picked a better hotel. For the business trip: the hotel is centrally located and not a nightlife scene so I could walk to my meetings during the day and could come back to a quiet but nice hotel. For the romantic getaway: when I booked my stay I mentioned that we were booking for a romantic getaway and had the hotel order roses for me. The staff was gracious enough to give us complimentary champagne and chocolate dipped strawberries as a way to welcome us!! The service was impeccable and really the only suggestion I have for them is that there should be more than one person to check guests in and out of the top floor. I booked one of the deluxe rooms with an amazing view of the various landmarks and on the floor there was only one associate for checking in and out. We ended up waiting nearly 20 minutes to check in as the attendant was helping a guest with something else.

TIP 1: when you book, get the room with the view of the Jefferson Memorial as that will let you see up to Congress and down to the Lincoln Memorial and almost everything in between.

TIP 2: if you want to visit the spa, don't wait till the last minute or you won't be able to get in.

Room Tip: Go for the Taipan floor and the view to the Jefferson Memorial.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

The Mandarin Oriental in DC lives up to the chain's reputation. From warm cider at check-in to hotel security confirming that I woke up by knocking on my door, when I didn't answer the wake-up call, this hotel will not disappoint. For business travelers: room service is efficient, delicious, and most of the menu is available 24 hours. I've not found a more relaxing ending to a long business trip. The DC location is out of the way a bit and not Metro accessible, but cabs are always out front.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to Mandarin Oriental, Washington D.C.? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Mandarin Oriental, Washington D.C.

Address: 1330 Maryland Avenue, SW, Washington DC, DC 20024
Location: United States > District of Columbia > Washington DC
#19 Luxury Hotel in Washington DC
#21 Business Hotel in Washington DC
#35 Family Hotel in Washington DC
#40 Romantic Hotel in Washington DC
Price Range (Based on Average Rates): $$$$
Hotel Class:5 star — Mandarin Oriental, Washington D.C. 5*
The hotel's unique location on the southwest waterfront makes Mandarin Oriental, Washington D.C. The only hotel offering views of the Jefferson Memorial and Washington Monument, Tidal Basin and Washington Marina. In addition to exceptional accommodations and gracious service, the hotel features the Forbes Four-Star Spa at Mandarin Oriental, Muze, with locally sourced, Asian-inspired fare and fabulous views, and the AAA Five Diamond CityZen. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Mandarin Oriental, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Otel, Travelocity and Tingo so you can book your Mandarin Oriental, Washington D.C. reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Mandarin Oriental, Washington d.c. Hotel Washington Dc
Mandarin Oriental Hotel Washington Dc
Mandarin Oriental Washington Dc
Mandarin Washington Dc
Washington Dc Mandarin Oriental

If you own or manage Mandarin Oriental, Washington D.C., register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.