“Excellent value” 5 of 5 stars

2007 Wyoming Ave. NW, Washington DC, DC 20009   |
Ranked #4 of 50 Washington DC B&B and Inns
“Excellent value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2005

I stayed 4 nights at the Taft Bridge Inn recently and thought it was excellent value, especially in that location! I was attending a conference at the Washington Hilton, only a very short walk away, and was extremely pleased I had chosen the Inn for LESS THAN HALF the price of the special conference rate of the hotel! Plus I had a cooked breakfast included! The Inn is in a great part of town, I easily walked around to many wonderful places and felt safe doing so. The 3rd floor room and shared bathrooms were perfectly adequate although a bit worn. And I was very happy with the breakfast which was served promptly in the charming dining rooms. I was nearly put off by some bad online reviews but found in my own experience that they were greatly exaggerated and maybe a little unreasonable. If you aren't paying 5 star prices you can't expect 5 star service and amenities! I found the photos online looked much more like the real thing than I expected. I would be keen to stay at the Inn again if ever I am lucky enough to be going back to DC and will also recommend it to friends.

• Stayed April 2005, traveled on business

299 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
San Francisco, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2005

My husband and I recently stayed at the Taft Bridge Inn. We expected a friendly place with a visable owner or at least some one available to consult about transportation, neighborhood highlights, restaurants, even tips on what might interest first time visitors. A young woman checked us in, gave us keys and told us breakfast times, smoking rules and little else.
A daytime worker prepared breakfast to a very precise clock and even pulled a full coffee pot at exactly 8:45AM because she was also responsible for all houskeeping chores. No warm, welcoming owner. The social life was fine because many delightful guests from around the US and Europe were cast into the same situation. The breakfast rules were neither posted nor explained, so one Italian gentleman was not give breakfast on his first day because he arrived at 8:40AM, apologized for being late to the cook, but did not know he had to walk to the kitchen to order. When he asked a few minutes later he was told he had been late and he was NOT served. Our room was clean and comfortable, though not elegant; the bathroom was also clean and everything worked well. We have stayed in B&B's in the US and Europe with wonderful experiences. We will not return to this place and found most of the other guests felt the same.

• Stayed April 2005
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2005

I reserved a 2nd floor room with two single beds and a private bath for my two sisters visiting from New York. I also reserved a 3rd floor room with a double bed and a shared bath for myself. Upon arrival, I was told that the inn was full and they had to move me to a room with a single bed to accomodate all guests. I asked how I received lower priority than other guests when I reserved the room three weeks in advance. No explanation was provided and the person checking us in said I could stay somewhere else if I liked. After I saw the small narrow room that smelled of smoke I went back down to complain that I should receive a discount for taking such an undesireable room. The response was to allow me a $6 discount. My sisters room was comfortable and their bathroom was modern and functional. The rest of the B&B was in a sad state of disrepair and was not very clean. On Saturday morning, there were at least twelve guests randomly walking in the kitchen to ask the cook for breakfast and coffee. There was no instruction provided on how to let the cook know how you wanted your eggs cooked, so we took a hint from the other guests and went in to kitchen to give our order. After waiting twenty minutes we received eggs that were undercooked and had to send them back. Bacon and sausage were not offered, just eggs, english muffins, bagels, and yogurt. The english muffins were toasted but served cold. The coffee pot was not refilled unless a guest went into the kitchen to ask and then it took at least ten minutes for a new pot. It went fast with that many guests and I was disappointed to only get one cup. I have stayed in many B&Bs and this was my worst experience. Usually they are very clean and the service and food is excellent. The pictures and the write-up on the website are very deceiving. I only wish I had read a review like mine as I would have selected a better place to stay and my sister's visit would have been more enjoyable.

• Stayed April 2005
TaftBridgeInn, General Manager at Taft Bridge Inn, responded to this review, June 17, 2012
Im am so sorry that this guest was disappointed in any way. This was posted seven years ago and I was not here but would like all to know that things have changed! This includes a state of the art reservation system, a new manager, and a new cook. My goal is that everyone has the best stay and leaves here wanting to come back!
Exeter, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2004

We were intrigued by the lush pictures of the B&B featured on the web and the positive reviews discussed here. Our initial impressions were likewise positive. Located conveniently near Dupont Circle and the Adams Morgan District, the owner of the B&B helpfully let us check into our pleasantly decorated room at 9:30am. The positive experience ended there, however.

The air conditioning unit in our room was quite old, loud, and apt to overload the electrical socket. In order to sleep, we were forced to turn the unit down, and then sweated through the night. I might also mention that the unit was so old that the face plates fell off when we went to adjust the setting. When we went to take a shower in the morning, we found ourselves dancing in an attempt to avoid being blasted by random spurts of hot or cold water. Breakfast was fine, but served with a minimum of decorum. The lack of congeniality was quite a theme. I've never stayed in a bed and breakfast where, when I needed something I had to wander about or leave notes on the front desk (as other guests had done as well) because there was no one around. If this happened once, fine, but it continued throughout the weekend.

Our trip ended on a particularly sour note when, Monday morning (a holiday morning), we rose early and eagerly piled down the stairs for our breakfast - where a waiting friend (and fellow guest) somberly explained that breakfast was not being served because the B&B staff insisted that it was not a holiday. We spoke to a staff person, and she merely re-emphasized this claim, although several other guests had also spoken to her in anger about this. Amazingly, she not only held her ground and refused to serve breakfast, but did not accomodate any of the guests in any way. Thus, there was not any tea or coffee to be had.

In bitterness, we went to the third floor to retrieve some food we'd purchased the previous day from the refrigerator. The food was ruined, however, because the refrigerator had not been turned on!

My husband and I have stayed in numerous B&B's. Indeed, it is one of our favorite things to do. We enjoy the homey ambience, getting to know different owners, and the chance to meet other travellers. This experience was, by far, our least positive experience to date.

• Stayed July 2004
TaftBridgeInn, General Manager at Taft Bridge Inn, responded to this review, June 20, 2012
I was disappointed when I read this review. It was written eight years ago and I wasn't here back then but I feel horrible that this guest was unhappy. I can't respond to the situation but I can say that a lot has changed!
All of our air conditioners are in great working order and each have their own remote controls. All of our bathrooms have great water pressure, and hot and cold water work just fine.
The most important change is that the staff is committed to providing a warm and welcoming experience to all of our guests, and satisfying any of their wants and needs.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2004

The Taft Bridge Inn is a unique lodging option in a fine location. Located on a residential street in Washington's quaint, green Kalorama District, 10-minutes from either Dupont Circle or Woodley Park/Zoo, the Taft Bridge Inn is actually a huge old mansion home which has been converted into a variety of rooms, ranging in style and price from elegant and huge to simple and small. The smallest, least expensive rooms, on the 3rd floor, have shared bathrooms, but don't worry: they are kept spotless and well-stocked. The larger, more elegant rooms on the 1st and 2nd floors have private bathrooms; each has a unique shape and decoration. Yoshie, the owner/host, can often be found gardening out front and watching over her property; she lives right behind the Inn. She puts fresh flowers from the garden in your room every few days. There is limited parking for an extra fee; call ahead and request it.

Yoshie offers great discounts for long stays, especially during the summer months. I stayed at the Taft Bridge for a lengthy period last summer and had a great rate and nice stay.

My only complaint is that the window air conditioner units can be loud; however, there isn't much that can be done about that in a building as old as this one.

As for the web review on this site, I really think this person is reviewing a different place. Kalorama is probably DC's nicest neighborhood. And the Inn -does- have a website: ----------------------. Because of the Taft Bridge Inn's location, uniqueness, and extremely good rates, I give it 5 stars.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2004

Of the 15-20 B&Bs that I've stayed at, this was one of the best. Our innkeeper was knowlegeable about the area and professional in running her inn. She was friendly and enjoyable to talk to. I really enjoyed our room which was nicely decorated and had a comfortable bed and sitting area.

Breakfast was simple, but fresh and delicious with choices such as traditional eggs, cereal, or healthy yogurt and fruit. I liked that you could order breakfast from a menu and choose when to eat within a set time range. The breakfast room is arranged with tables for 2-4 people so that it is not necessary to face a room full of strangers at 8 a.m. For dinner, there are plenty of restaurants in a range of prices within walking distance along Connecticut Avenue.

Regarding the web comment posted here, I think it was unfortunate but does not represent the typical stay a guest will experience at the Taft Bridge Inn. The inn has a website now and the ability to make reservations by e-mail. Using this method, I had no problems making and confirming a reservation with the Taft Bridge Inn. Regarding the problems you typically experience in Washington DC, I would say don't plan to drive and read guide books to be prepared to handle some of the hassles you are sure to encounter in this crowded district.

Been to Taft Bridge Inn? Share your experiences!