“Welcoming Hosts” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Chester Arthur House B & B at Logan Circle

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Washington DC
Chester Arthur House B & B at Logan Circle
Save Saved
You added Chester Arthur House B & B at Logan Circle to your Saves list
13th and P St., Logan Circle, Washington DC, DC 20005 (Logan Circle/ Shaw)   |
Ranked #13 of 49 Washington DC B&B and Inns
va beach
“Welcoming Hosts”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

My husband, Paul, and I stayed June 1 - 3. We came up for the US vs Germany soccer game. USA won- Yea! We opt for B & Bs when we can and Chester Arthur House was wonderful. Carl welcomed us. Each morning at breakfast, we enjoyed tasty fare and great conversation with Don and Carl. Even when there was a minor glitch related to our first breakfast, they came through and we remained delighted. We hope Eric is okay. We were on the 3rd floor so a bit warmer but with the AC and fan, all was right with the world. Clean, great that Don is keeping it historic, neighborhood nice. Go to Logan's Tavern for delicious food-Thanks Carl! We enjoy visiting different B & Bs. If back in DC for an event, Chester Arthur House is at the top of the list. Thanks for a great stay. Kimberly and Paul Emig - Virginia Beach VA

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

119 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Castle Rock, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

Chester A. Arthur House is a gem! Great location, clean and comfortable rooms. This is a great choice if you want D.C. charm rather than the corporate hotel experience. I traveled from Colorado for a girls' weekend, and this was the perfect place to stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
montclair njj
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

Terrific location - near all sorts of restaurants. On Logan Circle, ( named after Gen John Logan) who intiated Decoration Day ( now Memorial Day. We had a lovely Victorian room - not full of 'stuff' but crisp and bright. Comfortable bed and a very good breakfast every morning - including ' real oatmeal' when I did not opt for the packaged variety.
Host was interesting and informative about the area - and the other guests quite comfortable to talk to also.

Room Tip: if you cant do steps - dont stay here - otherwise it is great
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Madison, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

Stayed here for a meeting at the Convention Center, which was a mere 10-15 minute walk away. This whole neighbourhood is quite different from when I lived in the District in the late 90s -- much safer and significantly gentified. Not right on top of a Metro station, but a reasonable walk to 3 different stations.

Front door is a little weird to get into but not hard once you master it. Room was the large master bedroom on the 2nd floor towards the front of the house. Very roomy both in the main room as well as the bathroom. Wi-Fi was present but a little flaky in terms of speed and holding a connection. (In fairness, I've had this issue at almost any place that offers "free WiFi".)

Main issue: Logan Circle is noisier than expected. The potholes out front cause trucks to make quite a racket, and the lovely folks who share their car's music with the entire zip code don't help. :-) The provided "white noise machines" don't really mask those sounds (just passing cars doesn't bother me -- I grew up in the city), and the historic nature of the house make soundproofing not very practical. If you're noise-sensitive, I'd recommend a room away from the front. Great ambience and historical furniture throughout, including old-style lamps. Liked the small fridge in the room. TV was indeed small but I never had any desire to turn it on, so I didn't care. :-)

Breakfast was reasonably good -- I've had better at B&Bs elsewhere, but I had no complaints. They also kindly let me start eating a bit earlier than the 8am time to accommodate slightly my conference obligations. Didn't see the hosts much beyond my arrival or breakfast, but they were friendly and had provided cell phone numbers in case there were any significant issues.

Overall, I'd happily stay here again if I was at the Convention Center or nearby!

Room Tip: Away from street will be significantly quieter!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1883, Owner at Chester Arthur House B & B at Logan Circle, responded to this review, May 11, 2013
Thanks so much for the nice words. N.b.: fewer people notice the street sounds in the warm-weather months because the air-conditioner does an excellent job of masking just about everything. Re breakfasts: not sure how many days this guest stayed with us, but we make something fresh and different every morning, generally varying between sweet (pancakes, Belgian waffles, etc.) and savory (quiche, Eric's special "breakfast tulips", etc.). If expectations aren't met one day, they likely will be another. Of course we also honor special requests and dietary restrctions.
NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

I spent a weekend at the Chester A Arthur House and really enjoyed my stay. The house is lovely, warm and tastefully decorated. The location was great, centrally located and across the street from a beautiful park. Logan Circle itself is lovely; i enjoyed walking there in the mornings. My room was large and comfortable and I slept very well which doesn't always happen when I travel. Breakfast and coffee was great and the caretaker was very friendly and accommodating. Overall a great expereince, would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Louisville, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

I stayed here for three nights in April, and it was a very positive experience. The room was large and comfortable, the house is historic and in a fantastic location, the breakfast was tasty, and I slept great while I was there. The house is close to Whole Foods and all kinds of new restaurants. Apparently Logan Circle is a hot area these days. I'll definitely be back.

Andrea from Louisville, Colorado

Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Portland Metro Area, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

We recently spent a week at the Chester A. Arthur house and really enjoyed our stay. The location is very convenient to the major attractions in DC. 1 1/2 blocks to two different bus lines that go directly to the Smithsonian/Mall, a quick couple blocks through Logan Circle to P Street full of restaurants and a Whole Foods, and a reasonable quick walk directly down Vermont St. to the Metro & the front of the White House. Also, much to my relief, though we were never out very late, we felt safe in and around the house/neighborhood at all times during our trip.

We got caught in the rain and we able to quickly catch a cab to the Capitol from the intersection in front of the building and our cab rides to the Capitol & Union Station were never in excess of $10. Only on those rainy days though did we take cabs, we took a couple bus/metro rides but were able to walk to most of the attractions we hit.

The house is a little old and shows its age but it has been well kept by the owner, Carl & Eric (the innkeepers). We didn't spend any time in the parlors but they were always available and well stocked with books & games. It was very quiet inside, we spent our time between two different rooms on the 2nd & 3rd floors and never heard any of the other guests. Both of our rooms were on the front of the house and the traffic noise from Logan Circle was a little noticeable but for us was just a factor of being in the middle of a city. Expectedly a little louder than our suburban home but it didn't interrupt our sleep.

Breakfasts were always good and we never had any issue with portion sizes. Every day we were there, there was enough for seconds if one so chose. My request for a differnt type of juice later in the week was also accomodated graciously. The meals alternate days from sweet to savory and it really broke up the sometimes monotonous eggs for breakfast routine. Eric is a little more hands-off and doesn't join guests for breakfast, Carl sat with all the guests. Both are easy to talk to and have good tips for what to see, where to eat and how to get to places.

We didn't notice that our bed wasn't made daily until reading some of the other reviews but appreciate the privacy of the innkeepers not entering our room. They tell you when you arrive that the standard practice is to replace towels every 3rd day but they were very accomodating and would, I'm sure, be able to either service the room daily or meet whatever reasonable requests any guest made.

We would stay again at this B&B in a heartbeat. The location is enough but the service that went with it and the personal touch of breakfast makes this better than any hotel in DC could offer.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Chester Arthur House B & B at Logan Circle? Share your experiences!