“Comfortable Victorian” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Chester Arthur House B & B at Logan Circle

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Washington DC
Chester Arthur House B & B at Logan Circle
You added Chester Arthur House B & B at Logan Circle to your Saves list
23 Logan Circle, NW, Logan Circle, Washington DC, DC 20005 (Logan Circle/ Shaw)   |
Special Price
10% off room rate
Ranked #10 of 33 Washington DC B&B and Inns
Fredericksburg, Virginia
“Comfortable Victorian”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

We enjoyed a two-day stay shortly after Christmas.The local architecture is charming. Location quite convenient to DuPont Circle dining, Philips Collection art gallery, National Geographic, etc. Our host for the entire stay, Carl, served nice breakfasts and was a most pleasant conversationalist.
David & Beverly Brumbaugh

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1883, Owner at Chester Arthur House B & B at Logan Circle, responded to this review, April 27, 2013
Thanks for your good words, and glad you got to the Phillips Collection. It is one of DC’s hidden treasures and a “must” if you like French Impressionism.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Surrey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

A lovely and comfortable guest house, with great hosts and fab breakfasts. Excellent location with all main sights within walking distance. However, if travelling alone please be aware that hosts do not live on site so if you are the only guest, you may be on your own in the house.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Yankton, South Dakota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

My cousin and I were away from home during Thanksgiving and decided it might be nice to spend the holiday at a bed and breakfast. Needless to say, we could not have made a better choice. The manager was welcoming and professional. The house itself was beautiful and every moment was a treat. The rooms were so comfortable that we had a hard time pulling ourselves away for Thanksgiving dinner. We slept in Room #1 which was charming. Several of the other reviews commented on the noise but neither my cousin nor I had a problem sleeping. Breakfast was tasty and unique (we really loved the pineapple upside down French toast)! We will be back and next time we are bringing friends!

Room Tip: We were in room #1 which some people say is noisy, but neither of us had a problem. It is the most...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Thanks for your gracious comments. I can’t remember if we mentioned it, but the room you had breakfasts in was one of the locations for a recent Discovery Channel special about Thanksgiving – featuring Benjamin Franklin … and a real live turkey!
Lenexa, Kansas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

We picked this location without knowing much about DC. We were concerned about the impact of Sandy but called and got a fast response that all things were normal. We love the old Victorian homes and this one is right up there. The food was very good and a good variety. Everyone was very friendly and helpful in providing advise on getting around. The neighborhood has some great food and it is extremely close if you are tired from a full day of seeing DC. Felt very safe and walked a lot around the city. The distance to the Mall was easily walked. We will definitely recommend this place.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are better for light sleepers.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

Excellent location and wonderful Victorian era preserved mansion. If you like a quite room make sure you enquire at the time of booking, ours was basically at street level on a busy road with no sound proofing. We could clearly hear conversations as people strolled by so you can imagine what the traffic noise was like. This was not advertised and a little disappointing. Breakfast was a nice bonus, although some days were better than others

Room Tip: Don't book the front rooms.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thanks for the compliments, especially about our preservation efforts! Different people have different tolerances for central-city street sounds. We recently spent $8,000 restoring all eight bay and bathroom windows in the two bedrooms facing Logan Circle to Historic District preservation standards, including putting in extra-thick glass for soundproofing characteristics. They provide splendid views of historic Logan Circle with its equestarian statue of old General. We also have installed high-end “white noise” machines in both bedrooms and they do a very effective job of masking unwanted sounds at the guest’s option. Regarding breakfasts: we are proud of our offerings and are often asked for recipes for house specialties. We do try to provide several choices each morning so that if a guest doesn’t care for the entrée of the day, something else will be available. Thanks for your feedback.
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

I'm an active 26 year old male traveling with a 24 year old female.

I made a reservation just 48 hours before my arrival. This was a rather late request, but the keepers/owners accepted my reservation and allowed us to stay.

Location: I read over many of the review about this place and I must disagree about the location. I felt we were right in the middle of DC and within walking distance to everything. As a matter-of-fact, we walked to every monument and museum in the area. From the White House, around everything at the Mall, and spent an entire day in the Air and Space Museum. Logan Circle is a beautiful area in a nicer side of DC. Walking wasn't a problem, especially since I loved to walk through the city and see the sights!

Parking: We stayed two nights and did not have any problems with parking. While we opted to not pay for the the provided parking, we parked half a block away from the house the entire weekend and into Monday morning. In the morning of departure, we moved the car to the house, packed it, then left. While we didn't the optional parking, I feel it would have been worth it if we weren't vacationing on a budget.

House: First of all, let me start with the allure of a 1800's Victorian was enough in its own for me to be interested. I wasn't looking for a high-end modernized hotel. A house built in the 1800's and is still being kept in that state?! I expected cracks. I expected creeky stairs and old doors. That is the point; to immerse yourself into an era. It's old! Our room was beautiful. High ceilings, vintage wood, and an original bed.

Now, I will say the street outside was a bit noisy at night. I don't think this has anything to do with the house, and more to do with buses and the occasional siren. Luckily for me, I usually sleep with a fan on, so I just turned on the fan to the window AC unit and it drowned out the noise with consistent fan hums. :)

Keepers: The staff, Eric and Carl, were delightful and more than willing to go out of their way to accommodate any requests/needs (girlfriend can't eat red meat). Eric greeted us when we arrived, gave us a tour with history, and offered to carry our bags. He had some great suggestions about places to visit that were off the touristy visits as well as some places to eat (I absolutely loved Pizzoli's Pizza, right behind the house). Carl prepared us breakfast and had it ready on the table by 8am; it smelled delicious! Blueberry pancakes, coffee, orange juice, yogurt, fruit, toast, and bacon. More than I expected and exceptionally tasty. Carl sat with us while we ate and we all chatted about everything. Very cool people.

Overall, this was a great place and will definitely stay here again when I come back to DC. The atmosphere, the staff, and the location are all excellent and were key in providing a great stay while on vacation. This place exceeded my expectations. I recommend the Chester Arthur House to anyone staying in the area and will appeal to young and old alike.

Room Tip: We had room 3. Top floor room facing Logan Circle. Plenty of space with microwave, TV, and refrigera...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Vienna
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

Enjoyed a beautiful stay and the hosts were kind, reserved and gracious. I will most definitely book again. The rooms are beautiful and intimate. Would only ask that next time one of the gentlemen assist me with my bag upstairs! A definite 5 star. Marcia

Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Been to Chester Arthur House B & B at Logan Circle? Share your experiences!