“Delightful stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Celia's Place

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Washington DC
Celia's Place
You added Celia's Place to your Saves list
3rd and C St. SE, Washington DC, DC 20003   |
Ranked #20 of 49 Washington DC B&B and Inns
Lincoln, Nebraska, United States
“Delightful stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

As everyone says, the location is perfect! We were here to visit our daughter and son-in-law who lived only 4 blocks away. The home is full of art and photos. Celia was the perfect host. She visited with us each morning at breakfast (nice variety of breads, cereals, yogurt and coffee) and was very helpful when asked questions. Celia herself is a very interesting woman, and is fun to talk to. Certainly would stay again if we return to visit D.C.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Bloomington, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

For a summer class at Library of Congress, I splurged and booked the sole room rented at Celia's home across the street from LOC. What a treat. The owner Celia knows D.C. and much more about books, politics and art. She is so nice and fun to talk with. The house is old and every wall has gazing material aplenty. The bed is brass. The attached sitting room serves perfectly for workspace. A continental breakfast with great coffee is set out in the morning. The location of Celia's Place is positively perfect, within sight of Folger Shakespeare Library and Library of Congress. I walked to the Capitol and mall often. I tried a different restaurant each evening. Warning: A chain hotel fan might find fault with the ac/electrical/wireless side of this old rowhouse. I myself give Celia's Place five stars and I'd give it six if I could.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Columbus, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2012

The location is definitely 5 star. Located right behind the Library of Congress makes it very easy to visit the local sites, plus it's only a couple of blocks from the Metro as well as some pretty good restaurants. Parking was not an issue, either, as Celia accompanied us to the police station to obtain a temporary parking permit, which was free of charge to us. We felt safe during our visit, and were free to come and go.

The room was quiet and adequate. The bathroom was our main issue - it really didn't seem clean. There was an water glass that looked used. I found a water-pik brush sitting on the sink, and there were several bars of opened/used soaps in the tub. We had our own travel soap and used that.

Breakfast was adequate, however, a couple of the items served (i.e. the yogurt and juice) had expiration dates that had already passed.

Wifi was not good at all.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Greenville, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2012

I couldn't have asked for a nice location. It was just a block from where I had to go (House and Senate office buildings) yet in a nice neighborhood feel. It was very easy to reach by metro.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Tampa FL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2010

This accomodation is a single unit ( bedroom and sitting room) in Celia's own home.
with the private bathroom just outside the unit's entry door. Located in the rear of the second floor (no elevator) the rooms were very attractive and bright; the view was restricted to a back alley which meant that the accomodations were great for sleeping.
There were a few problems that kept my experience here from being A1. I was feeling very sore on my first day, necessitating my staying in the room much of the day.
Celia's handyman apparently had planned to work on all windows of the house that day, including mine, and I was interrupted a bit too much to be able to have continuous rest.
The TV or remote or both were not working properly and probably needed updating of some sort. As a nurse, I was a bit uncomfortable to find that there were no individual soaps for use in the bath--rather, a couple of bars of already opened and used soaps. Bar soaps, especially those sitting in a soapy slurry, are ideal for bacterial growth, so I just used my shampoo for my soap! Worked fine.
My final observation is that though I only stayed 2 nights at Celia's, I never quite began to feel a welcome guest. Celia provides a sitting room with the guest room, but specifically requests that guests not use the living room as that is her space for work. That would be an OK request in my opinion if the house had been larger and an alternate parlor available to alleviate possible cabin fever.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Pretoria, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2010

Celia's place was a breeze of sheer American hospitality, after travelling to numerous destinations in the US. She was quirky, intelligent and a wonderful hostess. Her arrangements in terms of locking up and having access to the house made us feel very welcome. The house itself is near all the important tourist sites in Washington DC. Located near Capitol Hill it is walking distance to all the Smithsonian Museums, Capitol Hill Library and the White House, etc. A number of nearby Restaurants (the Mexican around the corner is to be recommended) makes it easy without travelling by car, taxi or bus.
Celia comes with wisdom and charm and we have made another friend for life! Thanks Celia!!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Bay Area, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2009

Location is perfect - walk to the Capitol and Mall in 10 minutes; Celia's home houses her personal art collection and is fascinating & elegant. Breakfast each morning was customized for me, including NY Times. The surprise was that in addition to the very comfortable antique brass bed (with a plethora of pillow choices), there was my very own sitting room filled with plants and several chairs, a desk, tons of books, and a sofa that makes into a second bed! Celia is a fascinating, knowledgeable woman, having lived in DC for years - a great resource, and good company.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo

Been to Celia's Place? Share your experiences!