“Older hotel with updated rooms” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Melrose Georgetown

You added The Melrose Georgetown to your Saves list
The Melrose Georgetown
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2430 Pennsylvania Ave. NW, Washington DC, DC 20037 (Foggy Bottom - GWU - West End)   |
Special Offer
Bed & Breakfast Package
Ranked #39 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Keller, Texas
“Older hotel with updated rooms”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Got to hotel before check-in time. They found us a room without a very long wait. To get to elevator had to go up about 5 steps. Decor of modern grey tones reflected recent updating. Although room was reasonable size, bathroom was a very narrow room. Space between sink and closet was very tight. Tub/shower and toilet in a small and tight room with door. Had to maneuver around door to get it closed. Lighting in bath was great. Free internet was provided but no coffee maker in room and coffee was only available for free in lobby in morning. Charged $1 for 800 phone calls. Not a member of any hotel rewards program. Room rate was very good for Cherry Blossom time in DC. Heating/cooling system banged on/off. Was very annoying during night.

Room Tip: Set heating/cooling fan to on not auto to reduce bang of system turning on/off.
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Indianapolis, In
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

This was a very pleasant surprise as my company stopped using this hotel a few years ago, prior to a remodel. The rooms were very nicely appointed and large. Bathrooms also nice and clean. There was a lobby bar where my group gathered after a long day of meetings, but the space was more condusive for groups of 4 or less. We felt like we were rearranging someone's lving room. The staff were great about it, though.

Room Tip: Request an in-room coffee maker upon arrival and pay the $5.95 flat fee for faster Internet. Basic...
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled on business
Fort Lauderdale
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

Stayed here over Easter holiday. Hotel didn't feel as crowded as sightseeing DC. Easy walk to Foggy Bottom Metro, walked to restaurants in Georgetown, clean rooms, comfy beds, friendly staff, convenient market 2 doors away. Grocery store and drug stores nearby. I had trouble with the computer available to guest when trying to print my boarding pass. Ate a very good breakfast in the restaurant and a very good dinner for room service. Never a long wait for the elevator. Taxi or Uber always available.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Tyler, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

Although the trip to this hotel, was ok, they forgot a lot of regular amenities. Room service was slow for just toast and coffee.

MY worst experience was that an employee STOLE my good David Yurman earrings, I was gone 15 min I am NOT happy. Both the front desk and housekeeping supervisor was 0% unresponsive. Those earrings were a gift to me by my husband. I am VERY upset
Cindie Hackney
TX

Room Tip: Go someplace more honest!
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Lisburn, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

This has to be one of the best hotels we've ever stayed in! There wasn't anything about it that wasn't fabulous! The lobby area was gorgeous and very nice to sit in, whether it was for a drink or just coffee. The room was huge and the bed was very, very comfortable and it was very quiet, we had no problems sleeping. There was free tea and coffee in the lobby the mornings and there was lovely iced water in the lobby in the afternoons. Every member of staff was very pleasant and very helpful, the receptionists, the barman and the doormen. There was also free wifi which was great..

We used the fitness centre and it was good. We did not eat in the restaurant so cannot comment on it.

The location of the hotel is great for sightseeing, most things are within walking distance, the White House and the Lincoln memorial are both 20 minutes walk away (in opposite directions!). The metro station is just around the corner and very easy to navigate, we went to Arlington cemetery on the metro.

There is a coffee shop just beside the hotel which does nice breakfast and lunch and also great tea and coffee when the hotel has taken away the morning coffee! There is also a fab cafe around the corner called Devon & Blakely, they do the most amazing soup and sandwiches!

We will definitely stay here again :)

• Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

There have been mixed reviews of the hotel based upon staff issues, and my experience in this regard was not good. The first night I called down to the front desk to get a room service menu, which was missing from the folder in the desk. The menu never arrived. The next morning, I reported a problem with the toilet at 7:30 AM yet when I returned to the room around 6 PM the problem was not fixed. I again reported it on my way out to dinner, but upon my return at 9 PM found it still was not addressed. It was only when I went down to the from desk again quite annoyed did they do anything about this. The management may claim this is a boutique hotel, but that type of hotel requires more responsiveness to guest needs.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled on business
MelroseGeorgetown_GM, Manager at The Melrose Georgetown, responded to this review, 5 days ago
Richard, thank you for sharing your feedback. I would like to talk with you further to gain some more insight on your situation. Please call me at your convenience.

Best,
Jale Hashimi
Bangor, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

A quiet, relaxed hotel convenient to both Georgetown and GWU, which was a perfect location as I was visiting my son there.
Things I liked:
Staff was wonderful. I was greeted by desk staff politely each time I passed the desk, and by the second day the doormen were greeting me with "Welcome back!"
Staff was also helpful. I arrived quite early and they promptly checked me into my room, which was already ready. I asked about noise levels and all possible noise sources were described and I was offered a second option. I also needed transportation to the airport and three different options and prices were explained to me.
The room was huge, much bigger than any city hotel I have stayed in, with a king bed, couch, chair, sitting area with desk, open area, and good sized bathroom.
There was a small on-site bar and restaurant, which I did not get around to trying this time, but it was good to know they were there.
There was also a lovely lounge area with comfortable seating.

Things I did not like:
The person upstairs from me, who stomped around like an elephant for the first night I was there. I complained at the front desk the next morning and they apologize d profusely and asked me to call down if it happened again. It was quieter the second night so I didn't call, but I was glad when they apparently left as it was very quiet the third night. Other than that, I didn't hear other external noise except a little from outside.
The hot water for tea, which was complimentary in the lobby each morning, but unfortunately tasted like coffee! I meant to mention it to them but never got around to it. Not a huge deal and they did also have Lavazza coffee available.

Overall, a very pleasant stay and I would happily stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms facing Pennsylvania Ave. do get some street noise, including some sirens, but it is mostly not...
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled solo
Thank you so much for your review of Melrose Georgetown Hotel. I am thrilled to hear of your experience with us – I am glad you enjoyed our great location, helpful staff and comfortable rooms. I apologize for the noise levels you experienced, and am happy to know our team was able to remedy the situation. I also appreciate your comment regarding the hot water for the tea and will be sure to address this internally. We are looking forward to next time.

Best,
Jale Hashimi

Been to The Melrose Georgetown? Share your experiences!