“Unresponsive to Problems” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Melrose Georgetown

You added The Melrose Georgetown to your Saves list
The Melrose Georgetown
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2430 Pennsylvania Ave. NW, Washington DC, DC 20037 (Foggy Bottom - GWU - West End)   |
Special Offer
Bed & Breakfast Package
Ranked #37 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
Certificate of Excellence 2014
New York
“Unresponsive to Problems”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

There have been mixed reviews of the hotel based upon staff issues, and my experience in this regard was not good. The first night I called down to the front desk to get a room service menu, which was missing from the folder in the desk. The menu never arrived. The next morning, I reported a problem with the toilet at 7:30 AM yet when I returned to the room around 6 PM the problem was not fixed. I again reported it on my way out to dinner, but upon my return at 9 PM found it still was not addressed. It was only when I went down to the from desk again quite annoyed did they do anything about this. The management may claim this is a boutique hotel, but that type of hotel requires more responsiveness to guest needs.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Bangor, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

A quiet, relaxed hotel convenient to both Georgetown and GWU, which was a perfect location as I was visiting my son there.
Things I liked:
Staff was wonderful. I was greeted by desk staff politely each time I passed the desk, and by the second day the doormen were greeting me with "Welcome back!"
Staff was also helpful. I arrived quite early and they promptly checked me into my room, which was already ready. I asked about noise levels and all possible noise sources were described and I was offered a second option. I also needed transportation to the airport and three different options and prices were explained to me.
The room was huge, much bigger than any city hotel I have stayed in, with a king bed, couch, chair, sitting area with desk, open area, and good sized bathroom.
There was a small on-site bar and restaurant, which I did not get around to trying this time, but it was good to know they were there.
There was also a lovely lounge area with comfortable seating.

Things I did not like:
The person upstairs from me, who stomped around like an elephant for the first night I was there. I complained at the front desk the next morning and they apologize d profusely and asked me to call down if it happened again. It was quieter the second night so I didn't call, but I was glad when they apparently left as it was very quiet the third night. Other than that, I didn't hear other external noise except a little from outside.
The hot water for tea, which was complimentary in the lobby each morning, but unfortunately tasted like coffee! I meant to mention it to them but never got around to it. Not a huge deal and they did also have Lavazza coffee available.

Overall, a very pleasant stay and I would happily stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms facing Pennsylvania Ave. do get some street noise, including some sirens, but it is mostly not...
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled solo
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

We stayed in this hotel about a year ago and did not have a very good stay. We decided, due to the location, to give it another shot. We are glad we did.The room was very comfortable, the staff was very professional and polite and the food was great. It would be nice to have ice machines somewhere so as not to call room service when you need a cube or 2 and a few vegetarian options on the room service menu would help but other than that. We had a great stay.

Room Tip: Ask to be on a higher floor.
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled on business
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

We stayed for 3 nights with two children. I booked through Expedia but called to confirm reservation which was a good thing, since their record was not the same as I had booked. Hotel corrected it immediately and sent me an email confirmation at my request. Room was clean, quiet and a great location for us. The evening hotel shift was very kind-- during the day no one took much notice of us which was fine. Breakfast at the hotel was very expensive and not very good- eat there out of necessity. I had read some of the reviews and was nervous about staying here but we found it suited us well and we enjoyed our stay. We would definitely stay again.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
MelroseGeorgetown_GM, Manager at The Melrose Georgetown, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Thank you so much for reviewing Melrose Georgetown Hotel. I am thrilled to hear that you and your family had a lovely experience with us during your stay. We are very much looking forward to seeing you again.

Seattle, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

It was my birthday and my wife and I arrived early (which I mentioned at the time of my reservation) to check in where we were meeting other family members (4 rooms booked in total).
The check in lady (can't remember the name) was very unfriendly, rude and not helpful at all...refused to give us a room until 4pm and when she finally did give us a room she told my wife and I, that other rooms were available but at a different rate than the room we had booked....if only we had been told that to start with we would happily have upgraded it or downgraded it to get the early check in we needed after flying all night from Seattle to DC....my wife wanted to cancel the reservation and move hotels, but since we had 3 other rooms and family members staying there we decided to put up with it.
The room are comfortable, clean and the hotel location is very good but I would think twice before staying there again or recommending it to anyone.
Guilherme Barreto from 3rd April to 5th April

Room Tip: Poor check in, unfriendly check in staff
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
MelroseGeorgetown_GM, General Manager at The Melrose Georgetown, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Guilherme, thank you very much for taking the time to review Melrose Georgetown Hotel. I appreciate your kind words regarding our rooms and location. I am sincerely sorry about your experience with our front desk. I would like to speak with you further about this. Please call me at your convenience.

Chatham, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I proposed to my girlfriend in DC this past weekend. The Melrose Georgetown was recommended to me by a colleague and it was fantastic!

When I made my reservation, I told them I was proposing to my girlfriend on our visit to DC. I was put in contact with Tamica who arranged for a wonderful bottle of champagne and chocolate covered strawberries on the night of our engagement. Tamica was very eager, helpful and friendly to assist. She answered ALL of my questions and truly cared about our special plans.

The Melrose Georgetown is located in an AWESOME location. The Metro is located nearby and you can walk to Georgetown and the Mall. We walked to Georgetown on a few occasions to eat and there are a lot of restaurants within close proximity of the hotel. Although being in a downtown location, the streets were quiet (unlike San Francisco and NYC).

We stayed in an Executive Suite that was located on the top floor in a corner area. The room and hallway was quiet, which was very nice. The entire suite was very spacious and well decorated. The mini-fridge was excellent for keeping champagne cold. The king sized bed was super comfortable and the layout of the suite was great. The fiance did her nails in the living area watching TV, while I was able to take a nap in the bedroom seeking refuge from an overall stressful and emotional day of proposing. I've stayed in suites at the Fairmount and the size and layout of the suites at the Melrose we both preferred.

We were not able to experience the dining options or fitness center at the Melrose but I am certain they would have been wonderful. The complimentary coffee in the lobby was hot and fresh.

All of the staff were friendly, too!

Thank you for making it a memorable experience! We will certainly be back for the exceptional guestroom, location, service and nostalgia.

Room Tip: executive suite was spacious and quiet
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
MelroseGeorgetown_GM, Manager at The Melrose Georgetown, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Thank you very much for sharing your feedback. Congratulations on your engagement. I am overjoyed that you and your fiancée chose to spend such a special day with us and am pleased to hear that your experience was smooth, comfortable, and easy. Best of luck on your upcoming nuptials and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My brother-in-law booked this hotel for my sister and a girls weekend birthday present. I was excited to stay here after looking at the pictures on the website. The hotel met my expectations for decor. The lobby was really nice, the room was nicely decorated as well and clean. We were able to check in a bit early, which was nice. When we arrived the room was really hot. So we turned down the thermostat and headed out for a day of sight seeing. When we returned it was still very warm, so we called the front desk and were told that the hotel had not turned on the AC yet. Their only suggestion was to open a window. I would understand if it was January, but it was April and had been pretty warm that day. We were offered no apologies and were made to feel like wanting AC in April was a pretty crazy request. So we dealt with it and slept with the window open and tried to block out the outside noise. On day 2 we were in need of a corkscrew for some wine we had purchased. When we called the front desk we were told there was one in the mini-bar. There was not. So we called again and someone did bring one to our room, but made us use it while he watched because he said it was his personal corkscrew and needed it back. What???? It was bizarre. He also came in the room to check he mini-bar to make sure we hadn't overlooked the one that was supposed to be there.
The customer service wasn't horrible, but definitely not over the top helpful. They were a bit condescending at times. The beds weren't horrible, but definitely not the most comfy I've had in a hotel. The hotel location is good. Just a couple blocks from the Foggy Bottom Metro stop. If you head the other direction, there are lots of shops and restaurants in Georgetown. There is also a Trader Joes diagonally across the street. Overall it was an okay experience. Not sure I would go back if I was paying for it.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends
Robin, thank you for taking the time to review Melrose Georgetown Hotel. I would like to speak with you further on your customer service experience. Please call me at your convenience.

Jale Hashimi

Been to The Melrose Georgetown? Share your experiences!