“Quick visit to dc” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Melrose Georgetown

Save Saved
You added The Melrose Georgetown to your Saves list
The Melrose Georgetown
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2430 Pennsylvania Ave. NW, Washington DC, DC 20037 (Foggy Bottom - GWU - West End)   |
Special Offer
BOOK ONLINE AND SAVE 20%
Ranked #42 of 130 hotels in Washington DC
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Quick visit to dc”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed today NEW

Very friendly staff at this hotel from when we arrived at the front door to when we collected our car to leave again. We arrived at the hotel before check in time, but the staff were only pleased to help. They parked the car for us and looked to see if a room was ready for us to check in early (at no extra cost). We were lucky as there was a room, if there had not have been they would have looked after the bags until we could. The same when we checked out, they happily looked after our bags until we were ready to leave.

Would certainly recommend this hotel for couples get away/city break.

340 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

The location is great but in order to get anything done you have to tip. Don't bother talking to a manager they have no control of anything. If you want to check in early they will tell you that they are over booked and that they will do the best they can do but if you tip $20 and give them your phone number they will call you back in 15 mins telling you your room is ready. The Ice machine was broken so I talk to a manger which radioed someone else, 2 hours later still no ice. I grabbed a random worker give her $10 I had ice in 5 mins. Leave money for house cleaning at least $20 or liquor and you will not get any additional charges in your room. The mini bar is over priced just like everything else. Just move the contents of the mini bar to the bottom and go to a gas station get what you need. Everyone is expecting a tip even the people that open doors for you. The Valet also is expecting a tip even though they have to most expensive parking in town at $48. Just park in a garage for $30 and walk over. No, you can not unload your stuff in the front the valet service will not let you. overall I spent an additional $150 in tipping which is better then the $350 charge my friend got for supposedly trashing his room which is funny because my room looked worse than his. Yes this means if the water is not working upon check-in you find a maintenance and tip him to fix it. I hope this helps.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Seregno, Italy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW via mobile

This Melrose Georgetown is in a nice position, close to Georgetown, and not far from the White House and main monuments. It is an elegant hotel, good for businnes. A good bar is available in the lobby. The room is comfortable. The bathroom defenetely too small. WiFi connection, low speed, is available for free in the rooms. We had a problem the second day with the room service. We went out to visit the city at 9.00 a.m. and we came back at 2.00 p.m. and our room was not set up. We went out again from 4.00 p.m. an we came back at 6 p.m. and the room was not set up. This is not a service expected by a 4 stars hotel. We were two in the room and just one bathrobe. No coffe machine available in the room. Small things but important in my opinion for a extremely good rate.

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Green Bay, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My husband and I arrived to a clean and nicely decorated lobby. The front desk staff was very attentive and helpful. We had a king room thatt was clean, quiet and overlooked PA Ave. One initial problem we encountered was the door wouldn't close completely unless you slammed it hard. We contacted the front desk and the problem was corrected that day. No coffee maker in the room but I had read earlier reviews so I was prepared to make my way to the lobby in the morning :)

The hotel lounge had a very nice attentive bartender where we had our nightcap each evening. The Sunday morning breakfast I wish we would have skipped. There was a group of people that had attended a wedding the night before and they were very loud and kept the wait staff busy. We were in the dining area over an hour for an omlet and cold toast - two people, $46. Way overpriced. I suggest finding an alternative. We were staying for five nights and thought we would have dinner at the Melrose but after the breakfast we decided to eat in Georgetown instead.

I absolutely loved the hotel staff, the cleanliness of the hotel and their responsiveness. A short walk to the Foggy Bottom Metro in one direction and Georgetown in the other direction made this the perfect place to stay.

Room Tip: Our room was on the fourth floor, PA ave. We had no inside or outside noise.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
MelroseGeorgetown_GM, General Manager at The Melrose Georgetown, responded to this review, 5 days ago
Notfrequent54229, thank you for your review of Melrose Georgetown Hotel. Our team here at Melrose strives to provide attentive, helpful and friendly service, and it so great to hear that we have left a lasting impression on you! We are so glad that you enjoyed our bar chef creations, made with fresh fruit consomme at our signature Jardenea Lounge. We do hope you will be joining us again the next time you find yourself in DC, and be sure to look to our website to find the latest deals and packages.

United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I had a lovely time at this hotel. Doormen were very nice and always greeted us every time we were at the doors. The reception staff were also absolutely lovely and very helpful by providing us with a list of restaurants in the area. Free tea and Coffee in the lobby area down stairs near reception. Rooms were fantastic and very spacious. Molton brown amenities were lovely. Brilliant location with walking distance to most places and if walking's not your thing then the metro isn't far either. Only thing I would say is the Resturant downstairs is fairly overpriced for what it is, food is good enough but nothing special enough to pay nearly $50 for two breakfasts. All in all great hotel which I will be coming back to.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
MelroseGeorgetown_GM, General Manager at The Melrose Georgetown, responded to this review, 1 week ago
AllieBee90, thank you for taking the time to review Melrose Georgetown Hotel. Our team here at Melrose is happy to provide helpful, attentive and friendly customer service, and we are so glad we left a lasting impression on you. We are thrilled to hear you enjoyed our spacious guest bedrooms a luxury amenities, sure to make for a comfortable stay! We very much look forward to your return, and be sure to look to our website for the latest deals and packages.

The Villages, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I was able to get a good internet rate for 144.00 a night. The hotel is in Georgetown and a short walk from the shops and restaurants located there. You simply walk a couple blocks to M Street and turn left. In a few minutes, you will be inundated with all kinds of eating places. The hotel room itself was large, clean, and comfortable. The hotel staff is very friendly and helpful. There are no coffee pots in the rooms, but every morning there's plenty of coffee available in the upper lobby opposite the elevators. One of the managers gave me two free passes for the hop on/hop off tour bus (about a hundred buck courtesy). The only reason I gave the hotel four stars is because the WiFi is very touchy and spotty. I couldn't even get online just outside the front door on the patio area! The room keys are also a bit sensitive and sometimes had to pass the key over the sensor several times. Twice I had to go to the front desk to get new keys. Aside from that, I would definitely recommend this hotel. It is close to many of the sites and is within a mile of the White House and other museums.

Room Tip: I don't think getting the king suite is much of an advantage because the king rooms are large en...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Gordie L, thank you for sharing your experience at Melrose Georgetown Hotel. Our central location is perfect for guests looking to explore all that DC has to offer. Our recently renovated hotel extends large guest bedrooms and beautiful designed interiors, and we are so glad you enjoyed! We are thrilled that we could help shape your positive experience in DC, and do hope you will be joining us again the next time you visit.

San Jose, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My husband and I booked a room with this hotel because the location is great, the price is affordable, and the advertised pictures were very nice. We drove to the hotel and as we pulled in front of the entrance an employee gestured at us to keep driving and to not park the car. There is very limited parking as it is a very busy/popular part of town and in front of the hotel there is a designated park area which we assumed we could park in to check into our room . To the young ladies obvious annoyance, my husband and I parked our car out front since there was no other parking. I stayed in the car while my husband ran into the lobby where the lady immediately greeted him with "are you valeting with us" and nothing more. He proceeded to say he would like to check in first and we would either move the car or valet as soon as he was finished. She told him we had to valet the car and that we could not leave it there even for a few minutes so he gave her the keys and they both came outside to the car. She waited while we rushed to get all of our luggage because she told us that if we left anything in the car and needed to get it later we would have to call the valet and they would retrieve it for us. Besides the valet woman there was one other attendant working the lobby who also did not greet us, nor help with our luggage, nor hold the doors open for us. We left our car with the young woman and preceded to check in. My husband asked about parking and the front desk told us that the only option is valet for 48 dollars a night or that we could find street parking. We went ahead and chose valet for the first night and the lady working at the front desk gave us a complimentary breakfast because she could see that we were surprised and disappointed with the valet charge. Our room was comfortable and clean but the advertised free internet did not work at all. We decided to head out for the night to do some sight seeing about a half an hour after we checked into our room. Once we got outside we saw our car still sitting in the exact spot that we had left it in half an hour before even though we were told that our car could not be parked there for the 5 minutes it took us to check in. Just to be safe my husband decided to make sure it was locked since it was just sitting on the street in this huge/busy city. Sure enough the car was not locked. For 48 dollars a night we would expect that the car would have been moved to a safe garage by now and that it would be locked and not sitting on the street all that time. We decided to ask the front desk for our keys back and to remove the valet charge as we would take our chances finding more adequate parking where we knew the car would at least be locked. Retrieving our keys from the two men now working in the lobby valet took almost twenty minutes. We were told that the young woman working the valet had taken her break and had our keys in her pocket and to just "sit tight" in the lobby for her to return from her break. I hate to think how long our car would have been sitting outside unlocked had we not asked for our keys back. Even with us asking for the keys it still sat there for almost an hour. The next morning we put our DO NOT DISTURB sign on the door handle (meaning we did not want cleaning service in our room while we were out for the day) and went to breakfast in the hotels restaurant Jardena. The hostess was very friendly and sat us promptly. She told us to present our complimentary breakfast coupons to our waiter before we ordered. A waiter took our drink order and once he came back we gave him our coupons and he told us we had one option on the menu and then followed with "so are you ready to order then?" We ordered our one choice but my husband and I chose differently cooked eggs. Our food was served with the same eggs and not once after we received our food did anyone ever come to check on us. Very poor service that made us feel like since our waiter knew we were not paying for our meal he only needed to provide the bare minimum of service which was to bring food to us no matter what it was and after that as far as he was concerned his job was done since we were not paying customers. We were gone pretty much the entire day and upon return to our room we noticed that the sign that we hung up that morning was no longer there and in fact our room had received maid service despite our obvious opposition. The sign had been ignored and placed back in the bathroom for us. The rest of the weekend went off without a hitch despite the lack of customer service every time we walked past the front desk through the lobby and out the front doors we were never once greeted or even acknowledged. The door was opened for us once on the day we were leaving the hotel and that was the only time. For the price of this hotel I would expect a lot more. I would not stay here again or recommend this hotel to anyone seeing as how there are hundreds of hotels in Washington D.C. and I would take my chances to find one with better customer service.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
MelroseGeorgetown_GM, General Manager at The Melrose Georgetown, responded to this review, 6 days ago
Laura, I apologize immensely for the quality of service you and your husband experienced with your stay at Melrose Georgetown Hotel and your meal at Jardenea. We take customer service and the comfort of our guests very seriously, and I can assure you that what you experienced is not up to the standards in which our hotel operates. Convenience and comfort for our guests is of the utmost priority, and I am very surprised and disappointed in the treatment you have expressed to me. I truly appreciate you bringing these issues to light, as I will look to find where the breakdown in service and communication occurred to prevent this from happening in the future. I do hope you will give us another chance to impress you the next time you are in DC, Laura. I would love for you to give me a call at the hotel so that we can discuss your experience further, when perhaps I may show you that this level of service is not up to our usual standards. Thank you again for sharing your experience, and I hope I will have the chance to talk things out with you.

Jale Hashimi

Been to The Melrose Georgetown? Share your experiences!