“Best kept secret in Georgetown!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Melrose Georgetown

Save Saved
You added The Melrose Georgetown to your Saves list
The Melrose Georgetown
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2430 Pennsylvania Ave. NW, Washington DC, DC 20037 (Foggy Bottom - GWU - West End)   |
Ranked #41 of 130 Hotels in Washington DC
Wyomissing, Pennsylvania
“Best kept secret in Georgetown!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

The Melrose Hotel has climbed to the very top of my list of favorite hotels on the East Coast. From the decor, which is hip but sophisticated and tasteful, to the friendly staff, this hotel hits it out of the park in every category. But the best aspect is the unexpected size and level of luxuriousness of the rooms! The base level room is much larger than the average 4-star hotel room in DC, much nicer (plush linens, bath robes, high end bath products, high quality appointments), and the next level up is even better. My husband and I received a complimentary upgrade to an Executive King suite during our last stay there and were blown away by how nice it was. We felt like we had our own luxury condo for the weekend. The location is also choice because you're smack dab in between M street shops/restaurants in Georgetown and Dupont circle. Also, for runners/hikers/cyclists - access to the beautiful Rock Creek trail is just around the corner. I will find it very hard not to stay at The Melrose every time I visit DC!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
MelroseGeorgetown_GM, General Manager at The Melrose Georgetown, responded to this review, August 1, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review Melrose Georgetown Hotel. We are glad that you and your husband enjoyed our recently reinvented accommodations including large guest bedrooms and artfully designed interiors. We too love our central location in the heart of Washington DC, which makes our hotel ideal for business or pleasure. We look forward to you joining us again the next time you are in the DC area.

Jale Hashimi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Hoboken, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

I booked a two night stay at the Melrose, while in DC for a seminar at JSU around DuPont Circle (July 2014). I really wanted to rank and write a terrible/ 1 star review due to my first night experience, which I'll explain below. However, the hotel was beautiful, my room was clean, spacious and comfortable (slept really well), and the restaurant and service there was good. I would stay again.

That said, I'll share the awful side of my experience. I knew that I'd arrive late, so I called 2 days ahead to alert the hotel that I'd arrive between 11-11:30 pm. When I arrived, I was informed the hotel was overbooked, and "there was no room for me." It was ridiculous, which with choice words, I told the staff, since I paid ahead through Orbitz and alerted them of my late arrival. I was then briskly told by the manager that I would have to stay at another hotel. (Full disclosure: the Melrose paid for my stay at the other hotel and also, reimbursed me for the one night). When I asked if they would just transfer me to the other hotel to avoid the inconvenience of switching hotels, they said they wouldn't. I'm unsure if the manager actually said sorry, but I can at least say there wasn't a sincere apology that I recall. The hotel that I was transferred to was close by, but older. I also had to inconveniently, move back to the Melrose in the morning to store my bag and come back in the evening early enough to check in. The icing was that as I was leaving for the other hotel, two men, likely in DC on business, were checking in and were not turned away. Go figures. Again, my overall experience with the hotel itself was great. There needs to be some serious reevaluation on how many rooms to book and how to deal with customers. This issue didn't pop up out of the blue and could've have been communicated in advance of me arriving - roomless -- with a simple phone call.

A note: I've seen that their PR/Marketing team often combs these comments boards and writes public apologies for the questionable facility/service. A thought, why don't you fix the problem rather than waste time tracking down and trying to mask unfavorable comments. These forums are for candid replies, not washing over problem that exist at your hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
MelroseGeorgetown_GM, General Manager at The Melrose Georgetown, responded to this review, August 15, 2014
Please accept my sincerest apologies for all the inconveniences you experienced on your recent visit to The Melrose Georgetown Hotel. I want to take this opportunity to acknowledge that we failed to implement our main mission, which is to ensure that every guest receives the highest level of service. I agree that we fell far below the standards of service and quality for which we aim and hope you will accept my apology. Though we wish the issue that was presented could have been avoided, the most serious area of concern to us is that we disappointed a loyal customer who was willing to give us a chance. Please be assured that your comments were heard and are being rectified to the best of our ability. Given the opportunity, we will ensure that your next visit is one without flaws. I hope this recent experience will not permanently tarnish your opinion of us, and that you will take us up on our offer to welcome you back in the true Melrose style. In the meantime, please accept my sincere apology.

Calgary
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

Perhaps my expectations were set too high by previous reviewers. While our stay at the Melrose was fine, it had a few hiccups.

Pros: Location is fantastic (a few blocks to subway system, walkable to Washington Mall (monuments, museums, etc), lots of eateries and trendy Georgetown), Trader Joe's grocery store around the corner, hotel is clean. Room had a bar fridge, which is handy since they don't include a breakfast. Staff were great, other than the items listed below.

Cons: On our first morning I left a note for housekeeping that 1) we needed more shower soap 2) tub drain was slow 3) toilet had a slow leak and was running every hour or so. Only #1 was addressed. TV service in the hotel was also problematic with many sporadically pixelated channels throughout the visit (front desk said they were 'working on it'). No ceiling fans in the bathrooms (just a passive vent). No breakfast included, no pool, though these are rare in boutique hotels. Parking is $48/night by valet, though we found a lot for $20/day at 2440 M St. which worked well for us (www.ecolonial.com). Free in-room internet access (wifi) was slow, though apparently you could pay to speed it up.

I would consider staying again, but would shop around first.

Room Tip: Both sides of the hotel face busy streets (Pennsylvania Ave & another one) so possibly the highe...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with Melrose Georgetown Hotel. We are glad you enjoyed the location of our hotel in the heart of Washington DC. We apologize for the issues with your accommodations that occurred during your stay. We will look into these issues to see how we can improve upon them for future visits. We hope you give us another chance to impress you the next time you are in the DC area.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

First time at this hotel though I am a frequent business traveler. Greeted right at the door every time I came in which was nice. Desk staff was super efficient and polite. The gym was clean and empty.
For some strange reason they do not keep room service menus in the room so you have to call for one. The food is mediocre, better to eat out if you can. No coffee machine in the room so prepare to venture out before you're ready (if like me you want your coffer first thing) or pay $5 + tax + $4 service charge + tip for your morning Joe). The hotel is very tasteful though in my room I could hear everything above me and the AC was super noisy.

Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Cynthia C, thank you for taking the time to review Melrose Georgetown Hotel. We are glad you enjoyed our staff which strives to provide optimal guest services. We too love our artfully designed interiors and large guest bedrooms. We hope you join us again the next time you are in the Washington DC area.

Valley View, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014 via mobile

I recently stayed at this hotel for 2 nights while on a business trip. The hotel decor is very trendy, and cozy.

Probably the single best thing about this hotel is the staff. Every time I have encountered any of them, they have been courteous and gracious! They are a 5 star staff!!

• Stayed July 2014
LauraBelle9, thank you for taking the time to review Melrose Georgetown Hotel. We are glad our staff could provide optimal guest service for your business stay. We too love our recently reinvented accommodation including large guest bedrooms and artfully designed interiors. We hope you join us again the next time you are in the DC area.

St. Louis MO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

I paid a lot for my room, $300 plus, but ALL rooms in D. C. were high due to a huge Microsoft convention in town. The staff is wonderful, especially the bellman Maurice, who could be a hotel General Manager with the way he handles himself, and guests. This guy is a star.

The one negative..they were nice enough to upgrade me to a suite, but the air conditioner worked great in the living room, but poorly in the bedroom, despite my mentioning it on two occasions to the front desk. Overall, this is no Four Seasons or Ritz, but a good alternative, with a great location and a GREAT staff!

Room Tip: ps...the free wifi didn't work well in the room
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to review Melrose Georgetown Hotel. We are glad our staff could provide optimal guest services during your stay with us. We apologize for the inconveniences during your stay, and we will look to see where we can improve for future visits. We hope you join us again the next time you are in the Washington DC area.

New York City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

last time here was during the cherry blossom chaos, & DC looked like Times Sq. this time much more quiet, once again was given a very quiet room on 6th fl. Breakfast, good choices, though can take awhile since it is not a buffet, one must order from menu, close to everything, and a helpful staff, though somewhat scattered.

Room Tip: upper floors away from Penn Ave
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for sharing your experience with Melrose Georgetown Hotel. We are glad you enjoyed our central location in the heart of Washington DC. We too love our dining selections from our signature farm-to-fork restaurant Jardenea. We hope you join us again the next time you are in the Washington DC area.

Jale Hashimi

Been to The Melrose Georgetown? Share your experiences!