“A rocky start, but overall good” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Melrose Georgetown

Save Saved
You added The Melrose Georgetown to your Saves list
The Melrose Georgetown
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2430 Pennsylvania Ave. NW, Washington DC, DC 20037 (Foggy Bottom - GWU - West End)   |
Special Offer
BOOK ONLINE AND SAVE 20%
Ranked #33 of 130 hotels in Washington DC
Hoboken, New Jersey
“A rocky start, but overall good”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I booked a two night stay at the Melrose, while in DC for a seminar at JSU around DuPont Circle (July 2014). I really wanted to rank and write a terrible/ 1 star review due to my first night experience, which I'll explain below. However, the hotel was beautiful, my room was clean, spacious and comfortable (slept really well), and the restaurant and service there was good. I would stay again.

That said, I'll share the awful side of my experience. I knew that I'd arrive late, so I called 2 days ahead to alert the hotel that I'd arrive between 11-11:30 pm. When I arrived, I was informed the hotel was overbooked, and "there was no room for me." It was ridiculous, which with choice words, I told the staff, since I paid ahead through Orbitz and alerted them of my late arrival. I was then briskly told by the manager that I would have to stay at another hotel. (Full disclosure: the Melrose paid for my stay at the other hotel and also, reimbursed me for the one night). When I asked if they would just transfer me to the other hotel to avoid the inconvenience of switching hotels, they said they wouldn't. I'm unsure if the manager actually said sorry, but I can at least say there wasn't a sincere apology that I recall. The hotel that I was transferred to was close by, but older. I also had to inconveniently, move back to the Melrose in the morning to store my bag and come back in the evening early enough to check in. The icing was that as I was leaving for the other hotel, two men, likely in DC on business, were checking in and were not turned away. Go figures. Again, my overall experience with the hotel itself was great. There needs to be some serious reevaluation on how many rooms to book and how to deal with customers. This issue didn't pop up out of the blue and could've have been communicated in advance of me arriving - roomless -- with a simple phone call.

A note: I've seen that their PR/Marketing team often combs these comments boards and writes public apologies for the questionable facility/service. A thought, why don't you fix the problem rather than waste time tracking down and trying to mask unfavorable comments. These forums are for candid replies, not washing over problem that exist at your hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo

303 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

First time at this hotel though I am a frequent business traveler. Greeted right at the door every time I came in which was nice. Desk staff was super efficient and polite. The gym was clean and empty.
For some strange reason they do not keep room service menus in the room so you have to call for one. The food is mediocre, better to eat out if you can. No coffee machine in the room so prepare to venture out before you're ready (if like me you want your coffer first thing) or pay $5 + tax + $4 service charge + tip for your morning Joe). The hotel is very tasteful though in my room I could hear everything above me and the AC was super noisy.

Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Valley View, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW via mobile

I recently stayed at this hotel for 2 nights while on a business trip. The hotel decor is very trendy, and cozy.

Probably the single best thing about this hotel is the staff. Every time I have encountered any of them, they have been courteous and gracious! They are a 5 star staff!!

• Stayed July 2014
St. Louis MO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

I paid a lot for my room, $300 plus, but ALL rooms in D. C. were high due to a huge Microsoft convention in town. The staff is wonderful, especially the bellman Maurice, who could be a hotel General Manager with the way he handles himself, and guests. This guy is a star.

The one negative..they were nice enough to upgrade me to a suite, but the air conditioner worked great in the living room, but poorly in the bedroom, despite my mentioning it on two occasions to the front desk. Overall, this is no Four Seasons or Ritz, but a good alternative, with a great location and a GREAT staff!

Room Tip: ps...the free wifi didn't work well in the room
New York City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

last time here was during the cherry blossom chaos, & DC looked like Times Sq. this time much more quiet, once again was given a very quiet room on 6th fl. Breakfast, good choices, though can take awhile since it is not a buffet, one must order from menu, close to everything, and a helpful staff, though somewhat scattered.

Room Tip: upper floors away from Penn Ave
Atlanta, GA USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

I have been to Washington DC over 50 times on business, and have stayed many places. This was my first stay at the Melrose, and I will be staying there from now on (assuming they have room). They were very friendly, punctual, and the room could not have been improved upon. The bed was very comfortable, and the room was absolutely clean as can be. I don't know if this was a 'first time guest' thing, but there was a plate of treally good cheese and crackers in the room with a welcome card.

I am impressed...

Warrenton, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

We had only one night at the Melrose but we will return. Not only was the room large, clean and very attractive but the staff was super accommodating without being intrusive. We had one breakfast and a very late lunch which was made especially for us. It's about a five to ten minute walk across the bridge into Georgetown but we would recommend a cab to other sites in the downtown area. Parking in these locations can be a nightmare. There is also a metro close by. DEFINATELY a keeper.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
MelroseGeorgetown_GM, General Manager at The Melrose Georgetown, responded to this review, 6 days ago
Betsy, thank you for taking the time to review Melrose Georgetown Hotel. We are glad that you enjoyed our recently reinvented accommodations and our dining options as well. Out staff strives to provide optimal guest services to ensure a wonderful guest experience. We too love our central location in the heart of Washington DC. We hope that you stay with us again the next time you find yourself in the DC area.

Best,
Jale Hashimi

Been to The Melrose Georgetown? Share your experiences!