“Ideal Location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Melrose Georgetown

You added The Melrose Georgetown to your Saves list
The Melrose Georgetown
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2430 Pennsylvania Ave. NW, Washington DC, DC 20037 (Foggy Bottom - GWU - West End)   |
Special Offer
Bed & Breakfast Package
Ranked #37 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Toronto, Canada
“Ideal Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014 via mobile

We were fortunate to be upgraded on arrival to a one bedroom king suite. It was lovely, very comfortably furnished. Only thing was it overlooked the front of the hotel and was very noisy at night. Surprisingly , our suite lacked tea and coffee making facilities which we really missed. I like my early morning coffee in bed! We ordered room service one morning but decided $40 (with tip)for 2 coffees, 1 juice and 3 small pastries was excessive. There's a small deli 2 doors along which does good take-out coffee and pastries($8 for 2 coffees, 1 OJ, 1 delicious croissant !)
We made use of the parking at the hotel which was valet parking only. Our car was left unlocked at the front of the hotel for approx an hour and not always being watched as we realised when we went out for dinner. The staff, without exception , we're courteous , welcoming and helpful. Add tea&coffee facilities and we'd return!

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
MelroseGM, General Manager at The Melrose Georgetown, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Thank you, hmckl, for sharing your experience at Melrose Georgetown Hotel. We are glad that you enjoyed our recently reinvented art-deco inspired interiors. While our location gives great options for exploration, Melrose Georgetown Hotel wants to make sure everything you need is at your disposal. We hope you will visit us again and enjoy breakfast and coffee on us. The lack of attention to your car while under our care is unacceptable and we will look into our valet service to fix this problem immediately. We hope your travels will bring you back to Melrose Georgetown Hotel in the future to give us another chance at making your stay most enjoyable.

Jale Hashimi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Guildford, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

My stay at the Melrose is an object lesson in how one or two people can taint what is otherwise a good experience. On arriving after a long journey, I was greeted with friendly and efficient front of house staff, and check-in was efficient and courteous. My room was spacious, comfortable, clean, and well-equipped.

What lets the place down terribly is the restaurant, and in particular one or two staff on duty for breakfast and lunch. One individual in particular was indifferent to the point of rudeness and got my order wrong. That was on day one ... On day two, I went down for breakfast an noone came near me to serve for a full ten minutes, and then only after I had got up from my table to ask someone to come and take my order. When the check arrived, items I had not ordered were included, and the word TIP had been circled in a pointed way.... I reciprocated by putting my own large circle next to it, and I never darkened the restaurant door again, preferring to take breakfast elsewhere.

I complained about service and rudeness to the manager on duty at reception, and was assured that the charge for breakfast that morning would be removed... It wasn't. In addition, on check-out, a breakfast I had not taken had been billed to my room instead of someone else's..

So ... I'm afraid to say that the restaurant experience has tainted my view. I travel widely, across continents, and I have never received such poor service in a restaurant.

If this were fixed, I'd go back, but otherwise not....

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
MelroseGM, General Manager at The Melrose Georgetown, responded to this review, January 22, 2014
Thank you, Andrew J, for your feedback. We are glad you enjoyed our recently reinvented guest rooms and decor. The service and charges you experienced while dining with us is unacceptable and we have corrected the invoice - please check your bank statements for the credit. We will look into the service during breakfast and lunch to determine who of our associates handled our valuable guests in such a manner. We hope your business travels bring you back to Melrose Georgetown Hotel and also allow for you to give Jardenea another opportunity to impress you.

New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

Ive just stayed at the Melrose....for one night.I wish i had stayed for the whole weekend.
My husband and I booked a regular king room.We payed 101 with taxes included.Great deal for us !!
The room was clean,modern and bright.Nothing to complain about.There were snacks and bottles in the room,available to purchase.A little bit pricey but imo they tasted great so i didnt really mind.
My only minus would be regarding the location.Its in a nice neighborhood with a bunch of new residential properties but a little bit remote from the rest of Washington and there wasnt a lot of restaurants around.Thats my opinion.Doesn't change the fact that its one of the best hotels ive stayed at.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you, Lea K, for your positive and helpful review of Melrose Georgetown Hotel. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your night! We hope to see you extend your stay next visit so that you can experience our farm-to-fork, Jardenea restaurant.

Ashburn, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

My husband and I stayed here with two other friends for a night while visiting the DC area. We booked a room with two double beds. Although the building was under renovation it was still very clean and comfortable. The thing I liked the most though was the helpful staff. From booking the reservation to storing our bags while we toured the city - the people working here were very pleasant. The cost of parking was $45/night but that was comparable to other options we checked out. Plus, we were also able to leave our car there until 3pm the next day (even though we checked out before noon). That allowed us to get one more museum tour in before we left. In leu of the metro we took a cab everywhere we went (it was $6 from the hotel to the White House).

• Stayed January 2014
Dear Jennifer H,
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We are glad you were able to enjoy your stay at Melrose Georgetown Hotel. We hope you return in the near future so we can provide you with the same experience.

Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

We had been in the USA for 3 weeks, Washington DC was our last stop.
The Melrose was the best place we stayed, and great value.
Perfectly situated, lovely spacious, bright, clean rooms, and wonderful attentive staff.
Thank you.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Thank you, RobbiRoo, for your enthusiastic review of Melrose Georgetown Hotel. We are thrilled that you are as excited as we are about the glamorously chic, art deco-inspired decor here at the Melrose. We hope your travels bring you back to our hotel and that you can enjoy our farm-to-fork, Jardenea restaurant on your next visit!

Upper Darby, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

My boyfriend and I had a date to tour the White House during the holidays. We decided to make it a weekend; coming in on Friday and out on Sunday. I looked at a lot of hotels on Expedia, on Hotels.com, but I decided to go to TripAdvisor to get the "lowdown" on the three I had narrowed down.
First, I want to compliment the reviewers; the maturity, honesty, and fairness that most of the critiques exhibited, were so helpful and appreciated! It made our final decision very easy.
The Melrose:
Loved it!
From the doormen (who were knowledgeable, welcoming, polite, funny and friendly!)
To Vladimir (who was so very patient, kind, and efficient) and treated us like returning friends!
To the room (absolutely, beautifully, appointed)
To the furniture and decor, (downstairs ladies bathroom is to die for!)
To the staff and service (attentive, responsive, polite, EXCELLENT!)
To the location: Jeez! It's perfect! Right at the edge of restaurant/shopping district; within walking distance of the White House, and all the popular tourist sites.
To the weather: Ok, the hotel had no control over that, but Dec 21-22 it was 60 degrees!
To the PRICE: So very reasonable. (Please, Please keep it that way!)
To the check out time: HUMAN!! No crazy early morning check-out time.

Bottom Line:
You cannot beat this hotel.

Room Tip: Go for a higher floor for less street noise.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
parker33, General Manager at The Melrose Georgetown, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Dear Bodaciouscass, thank you for your review of Melrose Georgetown Hotel. We love your enthusiasm and think you hit all the high points of our lovely, hip, boutique hotel. We hope you will join us at Jardenea on your next visit to Washington, D.C. Happy new year!

Parker Sams
Front Office Manager
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014 via mobile

Got an inexpensive deal over Xmas week. The hotel was clean, staff friendly and room was comfortable and easily accommodated five people....with a large blow up air mattress as a cot ....kids enjoyed sleeping on it. Room comes with fridge and requested a microwave which we received promptly. Parking is extremely expensive at hotel $45 so we found day parking very close by at a 1/4 of the price ($11) and parked on the street at night...safe but had to move car by 7am! Could do overnight parking for $22 a night at same pl ace but no in-out privileges. Hotel well located to Foggy Bottom metro...2 minute walk, close to bus stop and less than 15 minutes to downtown Georgetown. Trader Joe's 2 minute walk. Would stay again next time in DC.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
parker33, Front Office Manager at The Melrose Georgetown, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Thank you, Sojourn3, for your review of Melrose Georgetown Hotel. We hope your travels bring you to our hotel again and that you will enjoy Jardenea on your next visit. Happy new year.

Parker Sams
Front Office Manager

Been to The Melrose Georgetown? Share your experiences!