“What a lovely hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Melrose Georgetown

You added The Melrose Georgetown to your Saves list
The Melrose Georgetown
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2430 Pennsylvania Ave. NW, Washington DC, DC 20037 (Foggy Bottom - GWU - West End)   |
Special Offer
Bed & Breakfast Package
Ranked #37 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“What a lovely hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

On my recent trip I stayed in three different hotels and this was by far my favourite. The lobby area is fantastic and very well decorated with lots of places to sit. The hotel actually looks like the pictures on their website. Staff were always very pleasant and my check in was smooth and took less than a minute, which was great for me as I had spent the last 5 hours taking a coach from New York and all I wanted to do was rest.

My room was on the 5th floor and it was huge. I asked the hotel to give me a quiet room and that is exactly what I got. There was a separate desk area as well as a sitting area. There was also another sitting area at the end of the huge and very comfortable bed. There was a safe and a fridge which really came in handy. The sink/vanity mirror was outside the toilet and shower. The room was very clean and the complimentary bath robe was a nice touch. The decor is very tasteful and I really loved coming back to my hotel room every night.

In terms of location, it is in a great area; Foggy Bottom which was quiet, and is very residential. I was travelling alone and felt very safe late at night. If you take a left when you come out of the hotel, and walk 5 minutes down Pennsylvania Avenue you reach very nice upscale shopping area. The hotel is a 15 minute walk from the White House, 5 - 10 minute walk from Dupont Circle, 20 - 25 minute walk from the Lincoln Memorial / National Mall side. There are also great transport links for reaching the Smithsonian Museums and the Capitol buildings etc. The hotel is less than a three 3 minute walk from the Foggy Bottom metro stop which is served by two lines (Blue and Orange). I took the metro easily to the Pentagon City where there is a Shopping Centre. The DC Circulator bus stop is just outside the hotel and really does come regularly and is only a $1.

There are lots of places to eat and a Whole Foods, CVS and Walgreens within 5 - 10 minutes walk from the hotel for every day items.

An added bonus was the free wi-fi. It's basic and you have to pay if you want high speed but the basic was absolutely fine for me to keep in touch with back home and allowed me to check in online for my flight.

I would not hesitate to book this hotel again, it was a fabulous hotel and I enjoyed my 5 nights there.

Room Tip: My room facing 25th Street was very quiet.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
parker33, General Manager at The Melrose Georgetown, responded to this review, December 26, 2013
Thank you FNL1234 for your detailed review. We are so glad you enjoyed your Melrose experience and look forward to hosting you again in the future. We hope you will dine with us in Jardenea the next time you're in D.C. You will love the farm-to-fork menu and detail in presentation and taste. Happy holidays!

Jale Hashimi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Nashua, Montana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2013

I am quite picky about where I stay. Most people say " who cares about the room, you only sleep there". I couldn't disagree more.
This hotel is fabulous. Great location. Nicely appointed rooms. A lot of dining options nearby.
My daughter and I had tickets for the White House Christmas Tour, which, unfortunately, was
cancelled due to weather. But we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Melrose anyway.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Thank you Kathleen M for your feedback of Melrose Georgetown Hotel. We are sorry you and your daughter did not get to enjoy the White House Christmas Tour, but glad that your Melrose experience was great and look forward to hosting you again in the future. We hope you will dine with us in Jardenea the next time you're in D.C. You will love the farm-to-fork menu and detail in presentation and taste. Happy holidays!

Colchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

Stayed here for 4 nights in November. Really lovely hotel.quiet location so a good nights sleep. Room 512 very large with a beautiful comfortable bed, just what we needed after a days sightseeing. We used the gym which although not huge, seemed plenty big enough with 4 treadmills 2 bikes & I think a stepper machine? Free weights also. The hotel staff were lovely & it was very clean everywhere. We ate in both the restaurant (good food & service) and the bar. Again lovely food & service. My only criticism was a draft from the front doors when you were sitting in the bar area. Great location, easy to walk into Georgetown. Lots of places to eat & drink. Very good pizza at Papa Johns (take out) which is not far from the hotel. would stay here again.

Room Tip: Higher floors are Quieter
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you MrsMac100 for your feedback of Melrose Georgetown Hotel. We are so glad you enjoyed your stay at Melrose Georgetown Hotel. It sounds like you took advantage of our hotel's offerings and area places, activities and sites. We look forward to hosting you again in the future. Happy holidays!

Potomac, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

Everything about the room to the service was pretty good. There were few electrical outlets in the room as all the lamps were taking up the space. I had to iron some dress shirts and I could not locate an electrical outlet near where the ironing board was located. So i had to move it into the bedroom and remove the plug connecting to the lamp in order to plug in the iron. Also in most hotels, there is one master switch to turn on the main lighting in the room. That is not the case here. The only way to turn on light in the bedroom is turning on the lamps all individually.

All of these little things, I could deal with. Not too bad.

I was extremely disappointed when I was turned away by the hotel because they could not take my car to park overnight. I called a month in advance asking about the parking, the rates, etc. When I got there I was told they were overfilled and I would have to go park at some other hotel's parking garage. (Westin) This wasn't too far but it was an extreme inconvenience for me and my girlfriend. Also given the snow storm and cold weather, this was not ideal. I should not have to go out of my way given that I am a guest of the hotel. I have always believed that if you are in the business to serve people, you should do what it takes to make them happy. Maybe the hotel could have helped me but I was literally begging the doorman for a spot and he said he could not. (But he did help me find that other place to park)

Overall, the hotel was nice, room was nice, elevators were a bit small, but the one thing that got to me was the parking of my own car. Extremely disappointed especially when I had planned out to park with the hotel a month in advance.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you Chris P for your feedback of Melrose Georgetown Hotel. My sincerest apologies for the valet parking inconvenience. The lot we have access to is rarely over-filled, so this it normally not an issue, but nonetheless, not acceptable for what you planned for your stay. I hope you and your girlfriend had a nice visit to D.C. otherwise. When your travels bring you back to D.C., I hope you will stay with us so that we may make the valet situation up to you. As well, we are happy to show you additional outlets in the guest room during your next visit so you can plug in the iron or other items easily.

Washington DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

Excellent. The rooms are large (even by American standards), although perhaps there could be an effort with the furnishing, which is a bit sparse. For example, a coffee table would be welcome.
Service is excellent, and not at all chummy, as in so many other American hotels.
Good bar, and pleasant restaurant, with a reasonable range of food. The wine list deserves a special appreciation.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
parker33, General Manager at The Melrose Georgetown, responded to this review, December 13, 2013
Dear French_US_13, thank you for taking the time to share with us your feedback about your recent stay at Melrose Georgetown Hotel. We are delighted that you enjoyed your accommodations and the culinary offerings of our signature Jardenea restaurant. We hope to be able to welcome you back to Melrose Georgetown again soon.

North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

Beautiful rooms and decor. Staff were friendly. Very clean and comfortable, and most importantly very quiet. A nice hotel for business travel given its location and amenities. Would certainly consider staying there again.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Thank you, dalgalpal, for your comments about your recent stay at Melrose Georgetown Hotel. We hope you will choose to stay with us again when your travels bring you back to Washington, DC.

Vassalboro, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

The Georgetown location is excellent-----within walking distance of the Kennedy Center. Clean, nice room with a very comfortable bed, good quality bed linens and towels. Easy access to the Metro and other forms of public transportation. Would definitely stay here again and recommend this hotel to friends and family.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your kind words, PinkFlamingo300. We are thrilled that you enjoyed both our proximity to so much of what our nation's capital has to offer, as well as our hotel amenities. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Jale Hashimi

Been to The Melrose Georgetown? Share your experiences!