We checked into the Melrose for a 5 day stay to see the city and attend some job interviews. Our room was fine but we had several extremely bad experiences with select staff members and amenities.
Our first issue occurred when my girlfriend lost her room key and went to the desk to try and be let into the room. The person working the desk was extremely rude to her and stressed how letting her in would be illegal. This person was very, very rude and offerd no solutions and then turned away from her and refused to talk to her. Yet later when I lost my key a desk person quickly helped me without even looking at my ID.
Then as the worst experience to our stay, on the morning of our check out the valet gave our only car key to another guest who had already left. Apparently our key was on the same ring as the other guests key. I don't know much about valet parking systems but it seems to me that that is a MAJOR Flaw in the system. They gave us relatively little information whether the guest had the ability to get the key back, how long this might take. We had a 6 hour drive ahead of us and not enough gas to make it home without stopping the car. To cap it all off it was my birthday and I was keen to make it home in time to enjoy dinner with my family. I still cannot even fathom how they could possibly have a system which would even have a chance of letting one guest leave with another guests key. It unbelievably poor.
After waiting nearly 3 hours in the hotel lobby with only a measly gift of terrible ice cream to console us, a locksmith finally arrive and was able to make us a key. This new key while workable was low quality and does not work in the other doors or for the trunk. They never offered to pay for a real key.
But we hoped we would get our original key in the mail as they had promised and we set forth back on our long delayed journey home and assumed the Melrose would be responsible. However we heard nothing from them for 5 days. We tried to contact the manager who had assured us the number she was giving us was a cell phone and instead was the main operator number. I sat on the phone for an hour trying to get connected with someone who knew anything about our issue or who even cared to listen. Finally an operations manager told us that they had never been able to contact the guest who took our key and we would never get it back. They took our parking fee off the bill but even that did not cover the hardships they put us through and our personal property which they unlawfully gave to another guest.
I would never, ever recommend this hotel. No amount of good decorations can ever make up for the nightmarish service we were rendered on more than one occasion during our short stay. I would recommend you take your business somewhere else. At the very least, don't pay $40/day for this valet.
- Also Known As:
- Melrose Hotel, Washington Dc Hotel
- Melrose Hotel, Washington Dc Hotel Washington Dc
- Melrose Hotel
- Melrose Hotel Washington Dc
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Just one block from Georgetown and the Foggy Bottom Metro station, the Melrose offers generously sized guest rooms and suites, total wireless high speed Internet capability throughout the entire hotel and is pet friendly. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, BookIt.com, Tingo, Priceline, HotelTravel.com, getaroom.com, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Otel, Hotels.com, Venere and Agoda so you can book your The Melrose Georgetown reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.