“Mind-blowingly bad customer service” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Melrose Georgetown

Save Saved
You added The Melrose Georgetown to your Saves list
The Melrose Georgetown
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2430 Pennsylvania Ave. NW, Washington DC, DC 20037 (Foggy Bottom - GWU - West End)   |
Special Offer
Cherry Blossom Special
Ranked #33 of 130 hotels in Washington DC
Allentown, Pennsylvania
“Mind-blowingly bad customer service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

We checked into the Melrose for a 5 day stay to see the city and attend some job interviews. Our room was fine but we had several extremely bad experiences with select staff members and amenities.

Our first issue occurred when my girlfriend lost her room key and went to the desk to try and be let into the room. The person working the desk was extremely rude to her and stressed how letting her in would be illegal. This person was very, very rude and offerd no solutions and then turned away from her and refused to talk to her. Yet later when I lost my key a desk person quickly helped me without even looking at my ID.

Then as the worst experience to our stay, on the morning of our check out the valet gave our only car key to another guest who had already left. Apparently our key was on the same ring as the other guests key. I don't know much about valet parking systems but it seems to me that that is a MAJOR Flaw in the system. They gave us relatively little information whether the guest had the ability to get the key back, how long this might take. We had a 6 hour drive ahead of us and not enough gas to make it home without stopping the car. To cap it all off it was my birthday and I was keen to make it home in time to enjoy dinner with my family. I still cannot even fathom how they could possibly have a system which would even have a chance of letting one guest leave with another guests key. It unbelievably poor.

After waiting nearly 3 hours in the hotel lobby with only a measly gift of terrible ice cream to console us, a locksmith finally arrive and was able to make us a key. This new key while workable was low quality and does not work in the other doors or for the trunk. They never offered to pay for a real key.

But we hoped we would get our original key in the mail as they had promised and we set forth back on our long delayed journey home and assumed the Melrose would be responsible. However we heard nothing from them for 5 days. We tried to contact the manager who had assured us the number she was giving us was a cell phone and instead was the main operator number. I sat on the phone for an hour trying to get connected with someone who knew anything about our issue or who even cared to listen. Finally an operations manager told us that they had never been able to contact the guest who took our key and we would never get it back. They took our parking fee off the bill but even that did not cover the hardships they put us through and our personal property which they unlawfully gave to another guest.

I would never, ever recommend this hotel. No amount of good decorations can ever make up for the nightmarish service we were rendered on more than one occasion during our short stay. I would recommend you take your business somewhere else. At the very least, don't pay $40/day for this valet.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
parker33, General Manager at The Melrose Georgetown, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Dear Cameron H,

Thank you for taking the time to share the details of your recent stay with us. We are shocked and disappointed to hear of the behavior of our front desk associates. This is not the caliber of service that our guests are accustomed to, and we assure you that the matter will be looked into. I would like to personally speak further with you about the valet situation. Please reach out to me at jale.hashimi@melrosehoteldc.com or by calling 202.955.5738.

208 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
las vegas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

Doorman... but a broken ice machine...bellhop...but a bath that leaks - a bed spread that Motel 6 would reject, TV with poor channel selection, no movies, a lamp shade that hung over the bed, a sheet that comes off with every turn, bathroom door stuck, so every time you use the restroom, you wake up the wife. They act like the are the Ritz and they are a nice motel, two to three star. Did I mention $38 parking...plus tax...tax on parking?!? They will pinch every penny out of you with a smile. Terrible, terrible, terrible. Liked the color scheme, though!

Room Tip: Pick a different hotel.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you, cfarino, for your feedback on your recent Melrose Georgetown Hotel stay. We are sorry to hear that your Melrose Georgetown Hotel experience was not what you hoped. We would like to have the opportunity to change your guest experience in the future should your plans bring you back to Washington, D.C.

Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Rennovation is fabulous, staff is exceptional! They were friendly, helpful, and attentive to my needs. They were unobstrusive, but always seemed to "be there" to meet my needs proactively. Small and intimate but has a 5 star look and feel. I would recommend for business or vacation!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Thank you, Cindy H, for your kind words and valuable insight into the guest experience at Melrose Georgetown Hotel. We appreciate your recommendation, and hope you’ll stay with us again when your travels bring you back to Washington, D.C.

Honolulu, Hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for one night first week of June 2013. I would stay here again. Staff was nice although finding my reservation took a few minutes. Location; close enough to everything (Georgetown, metro, and a Trader Joes across the street). Room was comfortable. Loved the blackout curtains (maybe because my hotel right before this one had the worse blackout curtains).

But the Bed was awesome. I would come back for just the bed.

Overall if you can get a good price for the room I would recommend staying here.

• Stayed June 2013
Dear S L,

We are glad to hear that the Melrose Georgetown Hotel was able to provide you with a comfortable stay and a restful night. We urge you to request our Melrose Dreams Menu during your next stay, which offers the option of ear plugs, a soothing noise machine, luxurious sleep masks, relaxing chamomile tea and a variety of pillow choices.

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

In the past I have raved about this place and panned it big time, so I am back again (mainly for the location) and it is time for an update.
Well the refurbishment is progressing and I actually got a refurbed suite on the 5 floor this time. First impressions are good and to the uninitiated eye the grey decor and modern furniture is very pleasant. But if you remember the old rooms and look closely you will see that it is just a very good paint job, that probably won't last too long. Look even closer and you can see where the old bathroom fittings were (the tiles are the same).
The bar stools have still not been replaced and the selection of beers and wines is woeful.
But the friendly atmosphere remains, you can't change the great location and the rates don't seem to have gone up significantly (which is what seems to be driving the recent reviews).
So things are on the up and the chances are I will keep on coming back.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear Gutsypants,

Thank you for returning to the Melrose Georgetown Hotel for another visit. We are glad to hear that you were able to experience one of our renovated guestrooms. We are constantly continuing to make improvements, and encourage you to return soon and enjoy our improved amenities and friendly atmosphere.

Antwerp, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

I have just spent three nights in this hotel, and I return home with a wonderful feeling. This hotel is nothing more, nothing less than what I need.
Perfect and friendly service, nice interior decoration, excellent location, beautiful rooms, delicious continental breakfast, wifi ...
The airco in my room was leaking, but staff had it repaired as quickly as possible.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Hello!

Thank you for taking the time to share the details of your recent stay with us, Gonzalo de Berceo. We are sorry to hear that your air conditioning system was leaking, and are glad that we were able to rectify the situation quickly.

Munich
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

When we arrived they had no reservation in their System and it took quite some time for us while they Managed to give us a New room.
All in all. The Hotel was really nice and Not that far from the City. Just 8 minutes to walk.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Been to The Melrose Georgetown? Share your experiences!