“Beyond Expectations, Staff Felt Like Family” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Ritz-Carlton, Georgetown

You added The Ritz-Carlton, Georgetown to your Saves list
The Ritz-Carlton, Georgetown
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3100 South St. NW, Washington DC, DC 20007 (Georgetown)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Complimentary Breakfast
Ranked #22 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
austin, tx
“Beyond Expectations, Staff Felt Like Family”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2010

One expects the Ritz to be a relaxing and impeccable retreat, and the Georgetown location does not disappoint. Despite a somewhat labyrinthine layout owing to its architectural heritage, the Ritz Georgetown is laid out effectively and offers a terrific blend of living room spaces and ultra-posh, knock your socks off areas. The rooms are equally phenomenal, impeccably cleaned, and stylishly decorated; it's hard to not want to simply live there.

But my reason for writing this review has little to do with the hotel facilities. The thing that set apart this stay was the fantastic staff. Unlike the typically aloof and pretentious staff at many luxury hotels, the Georgetown location has very real, wonderful people working in every department. I had the misfortune of falling ill while at the Ritz and I was genuinely moved by the way everyone from the concierges, to the front desk, the bell stand, housekeeping, and even room service felt the need to check-in on me. It made an awful situation much more bearable and won over a customer for life.

Incredible, simply incredible. There is no need to look for any other hotel in the DC area.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Davis CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2010

We recently stayed here with our kids whose ages are 16, 12, and 8. The kids really enjoyed the hotel because the staff trated them in a non-condescending way. We had a junior suite. It gave us all space after hitting the museums during the day.
The Ritz is an easy 15 minute walk from the Foggy Bottom Metro Station.
We had three good dinners within very short walking distance of the hotel. Martin's Tavern on M Street (great crab cakes), La Rouche on 31st (French country bistro), and Il Canale on 31st (good thin crust pizza and pasta).
The weekend breakfast at the Ritz itself was very good.
All in all, we felt that this property was an excellent choice for our family. It was unique, small, and not stuffy!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
Queenstown, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2010

I stayed at the ritz carlton in march for a couple of nights. The service that i recieved from the staff there is the best that ive ever recieved from any place that ive ever been to in my life. they went above and beyond at every possible opportunity to help me as much as they possibly could. it really did make you feel incredibly welcome and waned. i wish i could remember the names of all the staff members that i delt with so that i could mention them all. I will describe one particular person, and im sure that they will know that it is them if they read this, this person was a very tall white, fair haired man who was probably in his late thirtys to early fourtys who was the recpetionist on the night shift on a thursday night in mid march. i wish i could remember what the other staff members looked like so that i could describe them as well.

• Stayed March 2010
ny
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2010

I was very excited about my last minute trip to Washington and that the conference I was attending had a "special rate" ($498/night) at the Ritz Georgetown. I usually love a Ritz Carlton, but I didn't think this measured up, sad to say. One major exception however, was the staff, who were possibly among the nicest and most professional I have ever encountered, especially the front desk person who check me in and saw me to my room, then said good bye to me by name - impressive. Also, I had to walk from the main building to my annex building to get to my room. The night I was there the staff was offering to make S'mores over an open fire they started as a nice gesture to clients. They were so cute and seemingly excited about the S'mores...very different and made an impression.

I just think I didn't like the rooms that much. They seemed less opulent than a usual Ritz, less refined, too simple. (but the Bulgari toiletries were nice). They were nice, and clean, but just a little spare for my taste. I would also complain about the lack of free wireless in the open areas - what is that about at $500/night?! Quite slow service in the lobby bar too and a glass of basic merlot will set you back $16 - but it is the Ritz. But above Manhattan prices for drinks in a recession seems greedy. I suppose I'd give it another try, but it's obvious I found this an uneven experience. Step up the glamour, Ritz Georgetown! (or lower the prices :-)

The Georgetown Ritz is in a great location - a stone's throw from beautiful Georgetown and right near the C&O Canal.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2010

I had a very compressed schedule and only spent one evening here but would definitely return. The location is fantastic. Hotel is on the canal and is unusual for a Ritz property (which I liked). It has a slightly subterranean feel and you will be hoofing it to your room somewhat but I liked it for privacy. Room was a bonus. Not sure if I was upgraded but I had a large two-room suite with 2 bathrooms. Bed was incredibly comfortable, room service, concierge, and reception very efficient. Wish I'd had a chance to try out the restaurant/bar/lobby area but I was rushed. Gym was okay but really should have had more equipment - my arms were begging for it. I rarely pay much attention to bath products but the Bulgari assortment was pretty, pretty fab. I used to live in the area - my favorite little spot and the best cupcakes you will ever have are at Baked & Wired just a short walk out the front door. Don't miss it!

Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2010

At the last minute we decided to take a trip to Washington, D.C. A friend recommended the Ritz. The hotel is in a great location on the Georgetown water front. So, if you want to stay in Georgetown for the shopping and restaurants its a great location. We did walk to the White House and mall, but took cabs back to the hotel. If you are not daily walker, it is a bit far. There was no metro stop nearby.

The staff was extremely helpful and attentive!

The bar at the hotel had good appetizers and drinks. Room service was quick and the food was delicious. The fruit was very fresh and savory. At the recommendation of a hotel staff person, we ate Neyla's (a mediterranean restaurant) one evening, but I do not recommend it. Poor service! There were more bus boys than waiters. The food was OKAY.

We loved the suite! Clean and all amenities thought out (i.e. a lint brush was available).
We had an issue with the TV and the mail door locking. Someone arrived within 5 minutes of us informing staff.

We enjoyed our stay! We would stay here again.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Erie, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2010

The hotel is in a nice area. We had a view of the canal and the church. For the most part we had good service. Strangely, continental breakfast is served in the lobby which extremely uncomfortable, small tables, strange chairs. We had good concierge service, however, at least twice early in the morning when asked for directions and restaraunts we were told they had no idea. Our waiter bringing coffee heard us talkly about it and got us a map and explained where the places would be.

Cell phones don't work in the tunnel to the elevators. We had only two trash cans in our suite. None in the main bathroom. Given the setting it was mostly worth the money.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Georgetown? Share your experiences!