“Attentive and personable service makes this the best hotel in the Georgetown area” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Ritz-Carlton, Georgetown

Bookmark
You added The Ritz-Carlton, Georgetown to your Saves list
The Ritz-Carlton, Georgetown
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3100 South St. NW, Washington DC, DC 20007 (Georgetown)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
$50 Hotel Credit & More
Ranked #17 of 131 Hotels in Washington DC
New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Being one of the smallest hotels in the Ritz-Carlton chain, this hotel is somewhat of a boutique hotel, and I love it for that. This charming hotel is the perfect combination of Ritz-Carlton-quality standards with the warm feelings of a small boutique hotel. We have been coming for many years, and each time we visit, we are welcomed by first name by each and every employee. They even remember our dog's name. The rooms are nice, modern, and clean, and the beds are truly to die for. The location of the hotel is perfect, just wakling distance from the center of Georgetown and all the shopping. The one downfall has to be the room service. Selection is unimpressive, and oftentimes orders are wrong or take a while. If only the quality of service in room service matched the quality of servic in the lobby, front desk, conceriege, and bell desk, this would be perfect.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

This property displays the best of what the Ritz brand has to offer in my opinion. The property has been a landmark hospitality location for many years and does not show any signs of ageing.

Access to the rooms can be slightly inconvenient, but the atmosphere of the hotel more than makes up for the slight inconvenience. It has an ideal location in Georgetown (right off of M street, you wouldn't want to be directly on M street) and is walking distance to one of DC's liveliest parts of town. It is a short distance away from most of DC's major attractions as well.

Room and bathroom are both very spacious and furnished with nothing but the best. Service received by all the staff was excellent and I would definitely stay here again. Note: all this comes at a relatively high cost, but is definitely worth it if you are looking to spoil yourself, which I recommend you do!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

I stayed here for one night with a friend for a girls' night out. The service was great. Our room was nice, the location is great. A special thank you to Axel who really exemplified what one expects of service at the Ritz.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Not bad not super great..rooms were on small site..funky warehouse building...cool for sure...just was not blown away...Ritz Carlton comes with some expectations...But I will say if Service is your thing..this team really does a good job so if you can get a solid rate it could be a great option for being close to DC..will check out Four Seasons around the corner on the next trip.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

At the outset, I must point out just how friendly the staff was at the Georgetown Ritz Carlton. Each one of them, without exception, was wonderfully kind and helpful. Also, I must mention that the hotel, upon hearing our complaints, refunded us one night of our stay.

We stayed there for three nights at the end of April. The location is wonderful, in the heart of Georgetown. The room was large and had lots of windows and light. I think that is where the positives end.

The room was strange. The furniture was like something from a Holiday Inn hospitality suite. It was 1970s like, long couches, etc. But the furniture was definitely showing its age, looking ragged around the edges, with stains. I was staying in one of their larger suites, but the room didn't have a clothes closet. It had a coat closet by the door to the room, but for clothes, it had an armoire type piece of furniture. It seemed strange in light of the fact that the armoire was in a large space that I believe was a dressing room; they could have used it for a closet. The armoire was not big enough for our clothing.

The service is where the hotel really suffered. Again, everyone was nice. But it seemed almost as if there weren't enough of them. The second day I was there, I ended up working in the room more than expected. So I decided to go to lunch in the restaurant so they could clean my room. I called housekeeping...it rang a dozen times, but no answer. I called back three times. Then I tried the guest services number. No answer. Then I called the front desk and they put me on hold. Finally, I called housekeeping and they answered. But this took over 15 minutes.

The third day, my wife did the same thing. It took more than 15 minutes to get someone on the phone. She went out for more than an hour, came back, and the room had not been cleaned. She called again, and they said it would be cleaned immediately. Thirty minutes later, no one was there, so she went out again.

On the third day, I was on my way to a meeting. I went out the front entrance and there was no doorman present. I waited about 10 minutes, no taxis. I finally decided to walk down to Wisconsin and K street and find my own taxi. This happened the next day as well.

We had a lot of trouble with turn down service. The first night, no turndown service. The next night, I made sure there was no do not disturb sign, but still no turndown service. The third night, no do not disturb sign, and they slipped a note under our door stating that they were respecting our privacy. We called, they had no explanation, came and performed the turndown service.

Like I said, it just seemed as if they were understaffed. It shouldn't take 15 minutes to get someone to answer a phone when you are paying $1000 (with tax) per night for a room. It seems that a lot of the high priced hotels have forgotten that an important element of a high priced hotel is the service. The Ritz Carlton service was probably the worst service I have seen in a hotel of this caliber. We stayed at the DC St. Regis two weeks before and the difference was night and day. Three door men at the door at any given point; people answering the phone right away; the butler meeting you right at check in; wonderful turn down service.

When we were leaving, we were asked how our stay was. My wife told the truth and they did give us one night for free. It was a very generous accommodation for the poor service, etc. But I doubt I will stay there again, which is sad considering its wonderful location.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

Perfectly run hotel. The rooms were large and luxurious. The hotel is located very near the Potomac River. All the staff were helpful to a fault - especially the front desk staff. There is a beautiful lobby with a fire. Free coffee is available from approximately 6 am one level down from the lobby. The gym is a tad small. 6 star hotel!.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view room...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

Nicely located hotel in a very tastefully revamped industrial building (previously an incinerator - they've kept some of the old trappings). Got a spacious room 'underground' (i.e. a floor below the reception) that was comfortable and clean. Good bathroom, which is important. I was there on a business conference and the organizers managed to get the breakfast room as the conference center, which was a big plus (the conference rooms are otherwise a bit like bunkers). Breakfast itself was basic, but ok. Bit pricey - especially for families - but really good location for exploring Georgetown.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Georgetown? Share your experiences!