“Hilltop hostel dc” 4 of 5 stars

300 Carroll St. NW, Washington DC, DC 20012 (Formerly India House Too)   |
Dunedin, Otago, New Zealand
“Hilltop hostel dc”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

Nice clean hostel, in a safe, quiet suburb. Great restaurants and cares close by. Hostel is a bit out of town but very close to the subway, which gets you all over dc, cheaply and easily. Friendly staff, would recommend to all.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

I arrived at 11:30pm after a long drive. Though I had already notified the staff I would arrive late, no one was there. The door sign read to call a number if no one answers. I called, no answer, called several times. Even texted. Finally one of the hostle guests saw me and let me in. I waited an hour and a half for someone to arrive. I made myself some pasta, watched tv. No one was there. I walked around the hostle, I could have gone into any random rooms and stolen whatever I wanted. Some people showed up and explain To me that the owner is down the street at the bar, he's just ignoring my calls. He finally shows up around 1, drunk, amd of course wants me to pay. Only Cash, which is shady. I don't like that at all. He then tries to 'show me around' I tell him that I've already cooked, eaten, and walked around enough. Finally get me some sheets and shows me my room. I'm exhausted and my head is pounding. He puts me at a bed that has not been cleaned yet. When I say filthy there is garbage in the night dresser piled up, a half drank gallon on Oj on the dresser. Garbage Nd left over clothes ALL OVER the dresser. It was disgusting, and e just throws my sheets on the bed. None of the rooms have locks, their all left open. I've stayed in hostles all over the world and I understand there communal, but even if there are 20 people in one room Those 20 people have the keys or cards to get in. Aside from my filthy room the bathrooms, hallways, yard, were all unkept and gross. What I find hysterical is that I stood at the front door waiting to get in however the back door is NEVER locked. You park your car in apt next door and just walk through the fence. ANYONE can just walk on in. Like I said, I've been to a lot of hostles but this place was BY FAR the worst. I paid for three nights But only stayed one. I didn't even ask for my money back, I couldn't find the damn guy that owns the place. And because of that, he's going to get this awful review

• Stayed May 2013
Los Angeles, Ca.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

Just recently stayed here and I’d like to comment regarding some of the poor reviews.

This is kind of a homestyle pad more than a standard hostel. Old house with backyard, lots of nooks and crannies. Feels like hippie pad at times, some interesting residents. No organized activities, but good food options in the neighborhood, especially for vegetarians. Kitchen is available, but no meal service. Guests include international and American tourists, and some long-term residents living on extended stay. If you are looking for the clean, spiffy, standard hostel with 24-hour desk service and organized tours, this isn’t it; but if you want a place with character, or if you need to stay long-term near the city, this is a good choice.

Some reviewers said this place wasn’t clean; I dispute that. I found the bathrooms to be sanitary and my sheets clean and fresh. The house is old, but I found no specific problems with it.

I found the neighborhood to be safe, although there are some people hanging around the 7-11 asking for change. If you are used to being in any big city, this will not be any different. There is a mix of professionals, new-age people, and working class in the neighborhood.

You will need to use the metro to get into the city, but luckily the Takoma red line stop is right across the street. If your purpose is to do sightseeing on the Capital mall, this is not the most convenient location, but it certainly is doable. It takes 15 minutes to get into the city.

My only caution is that when I first arrived, the manager made me pay cash, which I was unprepared for, and the balance I had to pay was a few dollars more than what the website had quoted. Arrive prepared (ATM at 7-11 across the street, Bank of America 3 blocks down on Carroll), and get receipts. Other than that, I had a good time my three days here, met some interesting people, and had some good meals in the neighborhood.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Unexpectedly nice hostel. My experience with hostels in big cities is that they are too crowded, noisy and rundown. This wasn't true for HI DC at all! The kitchen is absolutely stunning and free breakfast are a good value for money. The only weak point is very little space for your things in the rooms. The lockers are quite big, but you need your own lock for them and there's no other space to put your things at, really. Otherwise, definitely among the high standard hostels I've been to

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Canterbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Stayed at the Hilltop Hostel in Washington in October 2008 during a round the world trip.
The hostel was very quirky, with lots of colour. Staff were friendly.
Loved the basement! Met some new people and hung out with them playing pool here.
Great location, just up the road from the metro train station.
Lovely chinese takeaway, alcohol store and a superstore across the road too! Also an ATM cash machine in the area.
Pretty garden to the rear which was nice to chill out in.
I stayed in a shared dorm, it was very spaciuos. No locks on the doors but they had lockers - I advise to take your own padlock!
Plenty of room for your food shopping in the frides and kitchen.
Washington was one of my favourite places, lots of places and things to see that didnt cost anything. Wasdhington Zoo was free of charge. All the memorials were breathtaking.

Room Tip: Take your own padlock for lockers.