“very nice atmosphere” 4 of 5 stars

300 Carroll St. NW, Washington DC, DC 20012 (Formerly India House Too)   |
Montreal, Canada
“very nice atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

I went to the hilltop hostel 2 years ago and i really liked this place. Of course it wasen't the most beautiful place but for the price it was perfect! The staff was very friendly and there were nice people to talk from everywhere!

Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Tauranga, New Zealand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

Stayed in the top floor, wasn't given a hand with my bags, which were heavy. Bedding was old and smelt. The mattress was covered in plastic and looked very dirty.. The house wasn't inviting and smelt, extremely dirty.. On the upside the little town it was located in had plenty of food joints and close to the train station.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

i stayed ehre about a year ago and have been meaning to write a review based on my experiences. i was there for 4 nights. when i first walked in it was to say the least, interesting. really great atmosphere, located right next to tacoma subway station. the neighbourhood itself felt safe, but obviously i wouldnt be walking around at 3 in the morning. the person who gave me my key was very friendly. yes the house does stink of cigarettes. that is a major flaw, but not a deal breaker. i had a private room, and found the house to be quiet when i wanted to sleep. although, the bed did feel very very dirty. there was an odd smell the first night, but i was so tired i didnt bother to place it. the next morning i realised it was my blanket! i dont know who was using it before, but it clearly wasnt washed, and from the smell, maybe it never had been. anyhow, i complained to the manager, and he apologised and washed a new set for me and brought it to me by the next night. he seemed emberassed. these are really my only 2 complaints. i felt safe in the house, and knew someone had been thrown out in the middle of the night before for sexually harassing a female traveler. i met lots of people from around the world. the hostel literally has a house vibe. it seperates itself from other hostels ive stayed in. you can sit and watch tv with some of the other travelers in the living room, play cards in the kitchen, or hang out on the hammock in the backyard. there is also a basement with lockers, graffiti everywhere, a foosball table, and couches.there is a communal kitchen, anda fridge thats shared. i bought groceries across the street, and labeled them, and put them in the fridge. no one took anything from me. i loved the communal vibe this place has, and i wouldnt be scared off by a few bad (ok, awful) reviews. yes, it is dirty, but there were no bed bugs. i thought it was a decent place.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Derry NH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2012

Most of the reviews on here have valid points. Yes, the house is old. Yes the house is cluttered and messy, however my fiance' and I had a very pleasant experience while staying here.

We originally had reservations at the Howard Johnson Hotel on New York Ave in DC (see my other review). After staying at that hotel for two hours, we canceled the reservations and called up the Hilltop Hostel. I was hesitant at first because it was located at the Tacoma Metro (about 20 minutes from the Metro Center Stop), but eventually called. The lady on the phone indicated she had 2 beds available in a dorm style room (bunks), and it would be 24 a night, each. We agreed and began the trek to the hostel.

Arriving, we met Laurie, the owner of the hostel. She was very friendly and eager to show us around the place. She had a great sense of humor, which, I could understand people misconstruing it as "unprofessional" or "rude". I found her funny. I also found some people complaining that the staff were always drunk and things were not secure. The front door has numerical keypad on the front, that you have to enter to get in. I saw Laurie's older son treking around, near some older gentleman who seemed to be drinking but to be honest, I like that atmosphere. I do not need someone watching over me or restricting what I can do. I want to come and go as I please, just as if I were home.

And that's how I felt.

The place was cluttered with all sorts of post its on the wall, maps, etc. The house itself is an old Victorian Style house, converted to a hostel, containing Free WiFi, a kitchen, three bathrooms, assorted rooms, a cramped basement with a TV and pool table, and a big screen TV in the common room. After a very frustrating day of travel, we ran to the liquor store, got some beer and chips, and sat outside on the nice porch. Around 6 pm, we walked across the street, hopped on the Metro and went to DC.

Now, if you are visiting DC to go the museum and stuff, you aren't going to spend that much time at the hostel. Every night we came back exhausted and we able to relax in the beds and get the sleep we needed. It was very very nice. The bathrooms were clean, the windows were always open, and the heat was hot. But I was still comfortable. We met some really interesting and nice people while there.

I would definitely go back.

And....did I see any beetles in the house? Yes. One. But to be honest, it's an old house, surrounded by tall grasses, food, etc. The fact that I only saw one, amazed me. Stuff like that does not bother me at all. For the price and location, it certainly turned our trip into a positive and rewarding experience.

Room Tip: If you can get a private room, try for that. Otherwise, unless you don't mind sharing a bunk, th...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2012 via mobile

I usually give credit and appreciate places that try. But this place, is downright horrid. Dirty, seen couple of roaches, beds make me itch, no noise insulation at all. No A/C which means no air circulation. Also, when we checked out, we didn't get our key deposits back even if we asked for it. The staff just disappeared after taking the key.

Even if it's next to a metro, its considerably far from the city center. Only slight upside is that it's cheaper compared to most hotels in DC.

• Stayed March 2012
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2012

Worst hostel by far in all of the DC area. It's dirty the beds are complete cheapo and the staff is not friendly or helpful. The manager that walked around and smoked while ashing on the floor and was a miserable grandma looking woman.

Room Tip: Find another place
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Florianopolis, SC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2012

Was the wost.hostel that i had stay. I hated it! Dirty, ugly... You should to look for another place!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo

Been to Hilltop Hostel? Share your experiences!