“People Expect Too Much” 4 of 5 stars

300 Carroll St. NW, Washington DC, DC 20012 (Formerly India House Too)   |
Derry NH
“People Expect Too Much”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2012

Most of the reviews on here have valid points. Yes, the house is old. Yes the house is cluttered and messy, however my fiance' and I had a very pleasant experience while staying here.

We originally had reservations at the Howard Johnson Hotel on New York Ave in DC (see my other review). After staying at that hotel for two hours, we canceled the reservations and called up the Hilltop Hostel. I was hesitant at first because it was located at the Tacoma Metro (about 20 minutes from the Metro Center Stop), but eventually called. The lady on the phone indicated she had 2 beds available in a dorm style room (bunks), and it would be 24 a night, each. We agreed and began the trek to the hostel.

Arriving, we met Laurie, the owner of the hostel. She was very friendly and eager to show us around the place. She had a great sense of humor, which, I could understand people misconstruing it as "unprofessional" or "rude". I found her funny. I also found some people complaining that the staff were always drunk and things were not secure. The front door has numerical keypad on the front, that you have to enter to get in. I saw Laurie's older son treking around, near some older gentleman who seemed to be drinking but to be honest, I like that atmosphere. I do not need someone watching over me or restricting what I can do. I want to come and go as I please, just as if I were home.

And that's how I felt.

The place was cluttered with all sorts of post its on the wall, maps, etc. The house itself is an old Victorian Style house, converted to a hostel, containing Free WiFi, a kitchen, three bathrooms, assorted rooms, a cramped basement with a TV and pool table, and a big screen TV in the common room. After a very frustrating day of travel, we ran to the liquor store, got some beer and chips, and sat outside on the nice porch. Around 6 pm, we walked across the street, hopped on the Metro and went to DC.

Now, if you are visiting DC to go the museum and stuff, you aren't going to spend that much time at the hostel. Every night we came back exhausted and we able to relax in the beds and get the sleep we needed. It was very very nice. The bathrooms were clean, the windows were always open, and the heat was hot. But I was still comfortable. We met some really interesting and nice people while there.

I would definitely go back.

And....did I see any beetles in the house? Yes. One. But to be honest, it's an old house, surrounded by tall grasses, food, etc. The fact that I only saw one, amazed me. Stuff like that does not bother me at all. For the price and location, it certainly turned our trip into a positive and rewarding experience.

Room Tip: If you can get a private room, try for that. Otherwise, unless you don't mind sharing a bunk, th...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

66 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2012 via mobile

I usually give credit and appreciate places that try. But this place, is downright horrid. Dirty, seen couple of roaches, beds make me itch, no noise insulation at all. No A/C which means no air circulation. Also, when we checked out, we didn't get our key deposits back even if we asked for it. The staff just disappeared after taking the key.

Even if it's next to a metro, its considerably far from the city center. Only slight upside is that it's cheaper compared to most hotels in DC.

• Stayed March 2012
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2012

Worst hostel by far in all of the DC area. It's dirty the beds are complete cheapo and the staff is not friendly or helpful. The manager that walked around and smoked while ashing on the floor and was a miserable grandma looking woman.

Room Tip: Find another place
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Florianopolis, SC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2012

Was the wost.hostel that i had stay. I hated it! Dirty, ugly... You should to look for another place!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012 via mobile

Place smelled like an ashtray (as noted above), staff is rude and unprofessional and the rooms are trashy. Spend a little more money and go to the Hostelling International or The Gallery Inn.

• Stayed December 2011
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2011

If you miss your frat house, this is the hostel for you! 4 am: in the women's dorm: a drunk guy walks in and pees in the wastepaperbasket right in front of my face while I'm in my bunk bed. I should have left the night before with the other two women who demanded their money back because of the all night screaming party. If you hanker after all of this plus a long wait for a filthy bathroom, then this hostel is for you!

Room Tip: If you like to drink and smoke and party, this is the place for you. If you want a decent night'...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2011 via mobile

We decided to give this place the benefit of the doubt based purely on price, after all, having just come from eastern Europe, how bad could be? Right?
This place has no redeeming features, it is old, dirty, has zero security (nothing but air between the street and your belongings) and I'm pretty sure that the bulk of the tenants are permanent, like it's some sort of halfway house.
So my advice for the budget conscious, sleep at the bus station/ under a railway bridge and leave your stuff in the lockers there during the day. You'll be just as comfortable and smell no worse. Everyone else should spend the money on a hotel and be glad you trusted your better judgement, as I wish we had

• Stayed May 2011

Been to Hilltop Hostel? Share your experiences!