“This place is TERRIBLE” 1 of 5 stars

300 Carroll St. NW, Washington DC, DC 20012 (Formerly India House Too)   |
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“This place is TERRIBLE”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2012

Worst hostel by far in all of the DC area. It's dirty the beds are complete cheapo and the staff is not friendly or helpful. The manager that walked around and smoked while ashing on the floor and was a miserable grandma looking woman.

Room Tip: Find another place
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo

64 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Florianopolis, SC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2012

Was the wost.hostel that i had stay. I hated it! Dirty, ugly... You should to look for another place!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012 via mobile

Place smelled like an ashtray (as noted above), staff is rude and unprofessional and the rooms are trashy. Spend a little more money and go to the Hostelling International or The Gallery Inn.

• Stayed December 2011
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2011

If you miss your frat house, this is the hostel for you! 4 am: in the women's dorm: a drunk guy walks in and pees in the wastepaperbasket right in front of my face while I'm in my bunk bed. I should have left the night before with the other two women who demanded their money back because of the all night screaming party. If you hanker after all of this plus a long wait for a filthy bathroom, then this hostel is for you!

Room Tip: If you like to drink and smoke and party, this is the place for you. If you want a decent night'...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2011 via mobile

We decided to give this place the benefit of the doubt based purely on price, after all, having just come from eastern Europe, how bad could be? Right?
This place has no redeeming features, it is old, dirty, has zero security (nothing but air between the street and your belongings) and I'm pretty sure that the bulk of the tenants are permanent, like it's some sort of halfway house.
So my advice for the budget conscious, sleep at the bus station/ under a railway bridge and leave your stuff in the lockers there during the day. You'll be just as comfortable and smell no worse. Everyone else should spend the money on a hotel and be glad you trusted your better judgement, as I wish we had

• Stayed May 2011
UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2011

Stayed here for 1 night for sightseeing before heading back to NYC on Bolt Bus.
The Hotel is conveniently located near Takoma station and 7 Eleven.
Arrived in the afternoon and quickly found the building after previously searching for it on google streetview.
Arrived in the building after a couple left and allowed me in, normally the door has to be locked at all times.
There was an old guy with glasses and long hair on the computer and a small room with music playing where that he occupies, (funny character). He later accepted my reservation, told me not to allow people into the building (have to ring the bell) and showed me to the room.
The beds were covered in plastic, and was told not to remove them due to sterile purposes. I was hopefull that the room would remain unoccupied, but on my return after sighteeing there was an old canadian who was very freindly and chatty.
The house is very big, airey and many staircases leading to different bathrooms and to the kitchen. It is place where many have visited, and I decided to leave a postcard on the wall and pin on my home location.

Me and the candadian had a talk about where he is from, background, world travels, and I exchanged mine and had a few opinions about washington dc, europe and royalty. Overall I was enjoying the conversation and he invited me to join him at an restaurant down the road which I declined.
I later took advantage of the free Wifi and planned my trip back to NYC and another new Hostel, my little samsung netwbook was important for the trip to NY and DC.
7 Eleven was a litle noisey during the evening (many people standing outside), so I later walked there for a hotdog deal. I later retuned to find that my canadian freind had brought back a desert for me to eat.
The bathrooms are located in seveal locations, I chose the one at the very top rear of the building, the water temperature was ideal and I managed to source some soap.

I returned quickly to my room (security conscious due to the open door) and fell asleep, only to be woken up by a group of german (frankfurt) lads who had returned from Miami. Thankfully they exited afterwards for a drink, only to return at a more inconveniant time.
I had my sleep and woke up in reponse to my alarm 6am, went downstairs to borrow some coffee, had a drink and joined a soldier or cadet who was watching some news.

I quickly left with all my stuff (none of it stolen or lost) and made my way to takoma staion, only to find it was closed. A free bus ride into washington DC allowed to walk to union street.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
Quito
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2010

I stayed here for one week and it wasn't really my choice. This is an aweful, aweful place to stay especially if you're on business and need to sleep or if you value clean, smoke-free, insect-free and rodent-free environments. The reviewer who said this is more like Helltop Hostel nailed it and I second that.

-When you first walk in, you realize the entire place smells like an ash tray. This is because people are allowed to smoke on the first floor but you can smell it everywhere.

-I cannot count the amount of insects alive and dead that I have seen here including beetles, roaches and I saw a mouse run across the kitchen counter. The kitchen itself smells like mold.

-It's noisy constantly; I think they really pride themselves in never shutting off the music. When you just want to sleep, this is really annoying.

-The staff for the most part are very unprofessional and do not go out of their way to help you one bit. In fact, they have no problem inconveniencing you as they see fit.

-Security is a big concern. It is fairly easy for anyone to walk right in here and I wouldn't trust most of the people who choose to stay here. If I am not stolen from at the end of my stay, I will consider myself lucky.

-The location is alright since it's minutes away from the Red Line; however, there aren't many places besides a 7-11 to eat nearby.

- I have lived in Third World countries in rural areas with no running water and electricity and I was actually more comfortable in those conditions than here. I could sleep and the air was clean.

If you like yourself and it's up to you, pay a few extra dollars to find a nice place and DO NOT GO HERE! Give yourself a decent night's sleep and avoid second-hand smoke rather than stay in this loud, dirty, smelly, insect and rodent-infested dump.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business

Been to Hilltop Hostel? Share your experiences!