“Hipster food” 2 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
District Kitchen is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #585 of 2,495 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Transit: Woodley Park Metro on the same block
Cambridge
“Hipster food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

So, this restaurant offers a hipster experience from beginning to end.
The decor is carefully post-industrial: bare walls, bare retro cage bulbs, but fortunately comfortable seats. The waiters are welcoming and averagely attentive.
Service was very slow, over an hour passed between placing orders for 6 people and anything arriving at all. When asked whether we wanted anything else, we were reluctant to place any more strain on the kitchen lest it stop providing any food at all. We later declined dessert also, having no desire to wait another hour.
Portions are small; the menu and staff explain you should order 2-3 dishes, while 3 would be the actual minimum for anything approaching a full meal. So prices are higher than TripAdvisor would indicate, $40 or up.
The special cocktail, 'R U chicken', provide to be a watery combination of spirits and caramel flavour, being of no overall merit. A dish claiming to be a mushroom sformata was an almost tasteless mushroom-related foam. Other items were poorly described in the menu, leading to some diners surprised by items with major ingredients they did not wish to eat. The only item of merit was a very good braised pork on the bone.
Ultimately odd and largely unsatisfying food, further let down by extremely slow service.
I retired to my hotel and had a burger in the hotel bar to give me an actual dinner.

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

“Fantastic!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

My husband & I had dinner here tonight. The service was great. The waiter was attentive
And made sure we both had what we wanted/needed. I had never had quail before and thoroughly enjoyed it. The small & medium plates made it possible for us to taste a variety of menu options. I highly recommend this place for locals and for travelers staying at nearby hotels (Omni).

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Baltimore
“Expensive and poor service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

I took my family and a few friends to this restaurant for lunch earlier this week. Despite the place being almost empty it took 20 minutes before we were served. Our waitress did not even ask everyone for drink orders. She walked away right in the middle of me ordering a drink and did not even ask my friend or his wife. Decor was terrible, looked like a garage. Food was alright but very small and the not worth the ridiculous prices. I spent almost $200 on dinner and we all left still hungry. I felt like I should apologize to my friends for taking them to such a lousy place.

• Visited September 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Boston, MA
“OK, but a bit overpriced”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

Nothing wrong with the place, but not a great menu selection, especially for us vegetarians. The salads were not green salads as we know them, but more an array of vegetables and fruits. The prices were higher than we had expected, especially for such a casual place.

Visited August 2013
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Great Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

My friend and I were wanting to stay close to our hotel while on vacation and on a whim decided to try this place out. We ended up having a lovely meal with great service. The food is high quality and the prices are reasonable for top culinary design. The beer selection includes a lot of local brews and the cocktails are unique. The atmosphere is chic yet comfortable. I would recommend to anyone in the area for a great night out and wonderful meal.

• Visited July 2013