“It's Workable for the Price” 3 of 5 stars

You added Downtown Washington Hostel to your Saves list
Downtown Washington Hostel
506 H Street NE, Washington DC, DC 20002 (National Mall)   |
Lewisburg, West Virginia
“It's Workable for the Price”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

ADVANTAGE: Late Check in since My train was VERY late. Outstanding Staff and LOCATION!!! Young Partying Crowd. Just not my scene so I moved to a Quieter Hostel. One bathroom was out of order so I had to upstairs to wait in line.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

This was my second hostel experience and I really fell in love with this place. It's an easy walk to Union Station/Metro, a 15min walk to the Capitol, and I really loved the charming neighborhood. All of DC is very accessible from here but you don't feel so suffocated from city dwelling. I found the facilities very clean even when there was a full house. The staff was very nice and helpful and they're currently remodeling both the house and the staff (for the better). Meeting people was very easy in the kitchen and common areas and I felt very at home and comfortable. The price is very good for the location. This place is filled mainly with people under the age of 35 and the quarters can be snug, but I personally wasn't bothered by this. I made many good traveling friends here from all over the world and I would recommend this place!

My only qualm would be the lack of bathrooms. There are only 4 1/2 bathrooms in the house. This is tolerable if you take your shower at night rather than in the morning. If you take up a schedule that's not like everyone else's, you'd be fine.

Room Tip: Bring your own lock, ear plugs, and eye mask and you'll never know you're sleeping in a full...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Braintree, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013 via mobile

I had a great time here,was so funny and made some good memory's, mark Levi and Charles are great staff they were super friendly and just generally great guys, would definitely stay in this place again and would recommend this hostel to anyone!
Tom.

Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

Stayed for 4 nights to visit Washington and it was all I needed. Great location , close (by foot) to Union Station and from there you can go everywhere around the city. I liked the atmosphere and the staff , especially the guy who made the pancakes every morning !!
The beds were cosy , clean and they a great atmosphere every day. I would definitely stay there again if I will have the chance to visit D.C.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

This is a good place to stay if you're looking for a budget place to stay in DC. Its in walking distance of union station which grants easy access into all the main tourist sites and George town. Its surrounded by places to get food and a large grocery store. Its a great place for a solo traveller as theres always someone to talk to, I met a lot of interesting people here. You get a good thick blanket to sleep in (unlike most hostels I've stayed in that give you a thin sheet). Also the staff are really helpful and friendly. My only qualm with this place is that there could of been more bathrooms.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

I enjoyed my stay at this hostel. The people were al really friendly and I had some great talks on the big comfy couch while we watched movies together. The hostel is old and the facilities aren't the best, but it's clean, safe and cosy. The location is fantastic, just a minutes walk away from Union Square, and surrounded by great restaurants (I reccommend the burger place across the street, best burger I ever had). Don't go if you're not into hostels and sharing lots of personal space with others, please do go if you like free pancakes in the morning and meeting tons of interesting people.

Room Tip: Don't turn off the aircon at night if it's hot out even if the thing is noisy. It gets soooo...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Key West, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

okay, i stayed there couple month ago and everything was okay, quite
nice staff, hostel located pretty close to metro station

this time i only needed to stay for a night and my plane was landing at 11 pm, so i called them to tell that ill be late so they know. Because when i stayed there for the first time i remember that front desk guy was literally hanging out in living room after 12pm, so i thought its not gonna be a problem, thats why i choose this hostel again.
I called them and here is our dialog:

me: hi, i just wanted to tell you that im checking in after 12pm cuz my plane is landing at 11pm
he: which airport?
me: Reagan
he: my staff works till 12 pm, we`ll try our best but we don`t promise
me: so u telling me that i might not get into the hostel if i show up after 12?
he: my staff works till 12 *rude*
me: okay then

what would you do? i booked another.
Then they charged me for nothing, i tried to cancel transaction but it was too late.
and this messuage is for you phone guy, i know u reading this, u charged me for nothing, so you can buy some window curtains for your creepy bathrooms. good luck

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Been to Downtown Washington Hostel? Share your experiences!