“A beautiful weekend getaway” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Kalorama Guest House - Woodley Park

Save Saved
You added Kalorama Guest House - Woodley Park to your Saves list
Kalorama Guest House - Woodley Park
2.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   2700 Cathedral Ave. NW, Entrance on 27th St., Washington DC, DC 20008 (Upper Northwest)   |
Ranked #8 of 49 Washington DC B&B and Inns
Richmond, Virginia, United States
“A beautiful weekend getaway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

My sons and I had a great time. Kalorama House has a central location to many great places and you don't have to hear the busy noises from a big city and coming from Richmond Virginia, it meant a lot to us! I will never go any place else.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Glasgow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I stayed at the Kalorama Guest House twice in the last fortnight, while attending a conference in D.C., and would recommend it to anyone thinking of staying there. Because I booked at relatively late notice, I stayed in three separate rooms in the space of two visits. All were clean and tidy, with modern, high-quality bathrooms and with excellent wi-fi signal (even in the basement), but there is a clear increase in the size and attractiveness of rooms in the higher price brackets. What remained a constant was the unfailing hospitality of the owner, Jack, and his staff. Jack welcomed each and every guest personally, baked fresh cookies on a regular basis for the guests, and introduced everyone at breakfast, with apparently perfect recall for names, occupation and places of origin. He also provided freshly cooked breakfasts each morning (bacon, eggs, and french toast, with bagels, croissants, toast, cereal and fresh fruit also available), and was always willing to offer help or advice. Coffee, tea and fruit were constantly available in the pleasant communal lounge area, which was also provisioned with a television, computer and printer (all free for guest use).

Basement Room (shared bathroom):
The basement room I stayed in for two nights was comfortable, although small - which might be a problem if two people were using the room, or you were staying there for any length of time. The decoration was a little shabby in places, but the room was perfectly clean and adequate for my purposes, as I was out for most of the day. There was little or no noise from outside, despite the basement location, and the shared bathroom was spacious and beautifully appointed. There is also a second bathroom (with W.C. and shower) on the ground floor, so essentially there is a bathroom apiece for the two rooms without en-suites.

3rd Floor Room (en-suite):
On my return to the Kalorama after the conference, Jack upgraded my basement room booking to an en-suite room on the top floor. This was a much larger room with a good view of the surrounding area, and a well-appointed en-suite. Water pressure was excellent at both basement and top floor levels of the house. For those individuals with mobility issues, I would recommend a ground floor room - there is no lift in the Kalorama. That said, I enjoyed the view from the top floor, so no complaints!

Street Level Suite (en-suite):
As the guest house was not fully booked, Jack upgraded my second booking to the Street Level Suite, which was absolutely beautiful - very spacious, attractively decorated, with built-in bookshelves filled with a wide and eclectic selection of texts. I would guess that this room was redecorated at the same time that all of the bathrooms were remodelled. I'd highly recommend it to anyone staying in the Kalorama for any significant length of time. Very much a case of 'you get what you may for' - or, in this case, a much-appreciated free upgrade!

Location and surrounding area:
The guest house is conveniently located five minutes walk (2 blocks) from the Woodley Park Metro station and a wide selection of excellent restaurants (Italian, Greek, Afghan, Lebanese, Indian...). The area is quiet and attractive, with a mix of residential and business properties, interspersed with a few hotels and B&Bs. I was visiting for a conference at the Marriot Wardman hotel (where I also stayed), which is 2 minutes walk away - and while rather shinier and more modern than Kalorama, was over-priced and soulless (an identikit hotel that could be found anywhere in the world). Overall, I would definitely recommend the Kalorama Guest House to anyone thinking of staying there - thank you!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

My late husband and I stayed at the Kalorama years ago with our niece and loved it then (we stayed on Mintwood which gives you an idea how long ago it was). My dear friend, Gill, and I stayed there this past week and were very happy that we did. If you need to stay in a place which is ultramodern with elevators, this is not the place for you. For the rest of us who enjoy a cozy place with a wonderful innkeeper, come here! We reserved a bedroom with 2 Queen beds and private bath (Jack, I think it was 203, right?? I want this room when we come again!) Slept incredibly well on a cold, rainy Thursday night but we were toasty and warm inside. Woke up on a sunny Friday morning and after a wonderfully warm shower, had a terrific breakfast, cooked by Jack who advised that if anyone needed more food, he would make more, even though it was getting close to the end of breakfast hours! I read one review here who said that the breakfast wasn't that great or something along those lines but I have to say as someone who normally gets up and runs out the door in the morning, it was lovely to have a hot breakfast without standing in line as you need to do at one of the chain hotels/motels. As Jack says, "It's your home, guys, help yourself!" Loved his chocolate chip cookies on Thursday night and, yes, Jack, Gill and I took the last two Friday morning when we went out to the museums and the Mall. When we arrived on Thursday, we left our bags at Union Station since we had wanted to hear the Durer gallery talk and didn't want to schlep our bags with us to the National Gallery. On Friday morning, we thought about taking them again to Union Station since we were leaving late Friday night but Jack said to leave them at the Kalorama so we wouldn't have to pay the Union Station left luggage fee. We left you a note, Jack, saying thanks for everything since we came back on the run and had to leave. My only disappointment was that it wasn't time for the cookies when we left so we had to leave without them! Seriously, folks, the rooms are clean and comfortable; there are no TVs or phones in the rooms but the website advises that. Gill (who is English) and I (a Brooklynite) have traveled extensively throughout the world (and have stayed in both posh and middle of the road establishments; both of us have lived in various parts of the world, too; my late husband was English and we were always pond jumping (and I still do; was in England, France, Italy for the Christmas holidays and New Year's) and I went to school in China (traveled extensively through China) so we know a little something about accommodations and this is a wonderful place to stay in a great area.

Jack is a great host; normally, I don't engage with other guests at breakfast (can barely utter anything coherent until 10:30 a.m.) but Gill and I met so many fascinating international folks there, along with Jack who is from Nepal! Did everyone know that? The Nepalis are known for their hospitality so that explains a lot about Jack's friendliness!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
kaloramaguesthouse, General Manager at Kalorama Guest House - Woodley Park, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
I had great time with you guys. Please come over for longer stay. I have special prices for friends and family. Thank you so much a great compliments. Thank you all. It was great group of guests.
Jack
Tarragona, Catalonia, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

We had had a great time at Kalorama Guest House (April 2013), we strongly recommend it for travellers searching for very good location and excellent service at competitive rates when visiting Washington D.C. Very comfortable rooms and GREAT Service (btw, enjoy the tasty French toasts just made by Jack ;) for breakfast).
Kalorama Guest House will definitely be our choice on our next trip to D.C. All the best (JP, P, M)

Room Tip: Travellers who enjoy reading: you will find surprising books available for you.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

We were only in Washington D.C. for one day and wanted to be near to all of the attractions without having to pay an arm and a leg. We came across the Kalorama House and decided to go for it. Low and behold, it was one of our best decisions. Immediately after booking the room, through Kayak, we received a call from the owner, Jack, asking if we needed directions and answering any questions that we had. When we arrived, Jack's welcome was truly extraordinary. We immediately felt welcomed and special. The room was very cozy and the bathroom was nice. It was the first time I had ever shared a bathroom with others (we had a basement room), but it was well maintained and I didn't even notice that anyone else besides us had been using it. We spent most of the day site seeing but the next morning we had a nice breakfast of french toast, hashbrowns, eggs and good coffee. I remember hearing some of the other's guest's questions about leaving their luggage after checking out or other various questions along those lines and Jack's response, with a warm smile on his face was "this is your house, you don't have to tell me."

The house is nice and clean, the service is excellent and if we end up back in D.C. again we would definitely look to stay at the Kalorama House.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

The Kalorama Guest House is a great lodging choice for NW Washington DC. The location is fantastic, an easy stroll to the Woodley Park Metro Station providing access to all of greater DC. The National Zoo, National Cathedral, Marjorie Post House, Gardens and Museum and more attractions are within easy walking distance. Jack and his staff could not be more accommodating and friendly. The full breakfast and the readily available snacks and treats along with the very competitive room rates make the Kalorama Guest House a superb value. I am a repeat guest and just completed a 4 night stay. I will certainly be returning on my next trip to DC.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

River Edge
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

We had a wonderful time, Jack was very personable, went out of his way to make sure that we were comfortable, rooms were very clean, bathrooms spotless, and I slept so well!! Great food, I highly reccomend it! The Hartmans

Room Tip: The owner could.nt have been nicer or more helpful we had a wonderful time would very much reccomen...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Kaloramaguesthouse1, General Manager at Kalorama Guest House - Woodley Park, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Thank you for a great visit. I enjoyed all your company. Thank god, AVERAGE and OVERPRICED did not yell at the kids. My other guests reported that they got yelled at by A&O. At this time, I would like to thank all other guest who enjoyed our B&B.
Hope to see you all soon.
Sincerely
your host Jack

Been to Kalorama Guest House - Woodley Park? Share your experiences!