“we had a great time” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Kalorama Guest House - Woodley Park

Save Saved
You added Kalorama Guest House - Woodley Park to your Saves list
Kalorama Guest House - Woodley Park
2.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   2700 Cathedral Ave. NW, Entrance on 27th St., Washington DC, DC 20008 (Upper Northwest)   |
Ranked #10 of 49 Washington DC B&B and Inns
River Edge
“we had a great time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

We had a wonderful time, Jack was very personable, went out of his way to make sure that we were comfortable, rooms were very clean, bathrooms spotless, and I slept so well!! Great food, I highly reccomend it! The Hartmans

Room Tip: The owner could.nt have been nicer or more helpful we had a wonderful time would very much reccomen...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Kaloramaguesthouse1, General Manager at Kalorama Guest House - Woodley Park, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Thank you for a great visit. I enjoyed all your company. Thank god, AVERAGE and OVERPRICED did not yell at the kids. My other guests reported that they got yelled at by A&O. At this time, I would like to thank all other guest who enjoyed our B&B.
Hope to see you all soon.
Sincerely
your host Jack

237 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

We stayed for one might at Kalorama Guest house. Our host, Jack, is warm and friendly , attending to his guests with a quick smile and a helpful attitude . The rooms are clean and comfortable , not fancy but very adequate . The breakfast is delicious , there's wine in the afternoon and homemade cookies as well! The location is great, a few blocks from the metro and restaurants and the zoo. I highly recommend Kalorama!

• Stayed March 2013

Elmhurst, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

The Kalorama Guest House made our recent trip to DC! There are many great things about this Guest House. The location is perfect - adjacent to the zoo, a lovely walk to the Cathedral, a couple short blocks to the subway, a nice little nearby downtown with fun restaurants, etc. The rooms were great. I was traveling with three children, so we had a quaint set of rooms with two queen beds and a private bath. The fellow guests are wonderful to get to know. Everyone is friendly and has a great story. The best thing about this guest house is the proprietor Jack! He is the essence of hospitality. Each day he helped us plan our itinerary. He is sincerely warm and friendly and caring. I wondered if my kids would appreciate a guest house. They said it was the best thing about the whole trip.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Portland, Oregon, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

The Kalorama was a great reprieve from the conference hotel. I really felt like I was at home, which Jack (the host) made sure for us to know. The breakfast was very tasty. It was fun to sit in the living room and dining room with other guests, especially if many of them are from the same conference. Also, sitting on the front patio in the sun was quite a treat!

Room Tip: While my room on the first floor was lovely, a huge space, with high ceilings, great antique furnitu...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

Jack, the owner of the Kalorama made my stay so enjoyable. He was very engaging,
easy going and really made me feel at home. I would highly recommend the lower
level bedroom w bath as it was recently updated. Large shower,new hardwood floors,comfortable
bed and very clean.
The location of the Kalorama made it an easy walk to the Omni Hotel where I attended
a conference.When I came back in the afternoon, Jack was ready with his fresh baked cookies,
and busy introducing the guests to one another. A very relaxing and tranquil environment.
I hope to return next year. Thank you Jack!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Kearny, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

I write this review having literally just walked in the door from staying at the Kalorama Guesthouse in Washington, D.C. The previous review, written three months ago, states that rooms were 70 to 80 dollars a night. After having stayed at this guest house for two nights with my husband and feeling somewhat disappointed, I can definitely say that the price was right....three months ago. Jack, the owner and host, charged us DOUBLE the price, nearly 150 dollars, and that was with a Tripadvisor discount! Unfortunately, there is no evidence that he has doubled the service or amenities.

In the end, the place is no better than a 50-dollar-a-night motel. The amenities and food offered are on par with the most basic of lodgings. Don't get me wrong: my husband and I would not be above staying here again - we were comfortable - but we felt that we did not get our money's worth. If the place were cheaper and matched the level of services offered, we would gladly book again. However, for the price we paid we expected more and will look elsewhere the next time we choose a place at this price point.

Details:

The positive about this place is true: The location is in a very upscale, beautiful neighborhood with tree-lined streets. Houses are gorgeous and run over a million dollars. You are one block from the zoo, two blocks from a bike rental location, and only three blocks from the metro station, which is on a main avenue holding a variety of non-chain restaurants. The location can't be beat.

However, it's a shame the place doesn't live up to its surrounding neighbors. It's shabby - ripped chairs with stuffing coming out, poorly-done bathroom renovations, ugly decor (think velvet Elvis posters!!), paint coming off, burn holes in the rugs. The breakfast is basic - think scrambled eggs, bacon, hashbrowns, bagels and single-serve Philadelphia cream cheese. Rooms are either small to average-sized with very small old bathrooms. Towels are scratchy. No conditioner. Essentially, it's like staying in a Motel 6.

Jack, the owner and host, seems very hospitable, open, warm and generally eager to please. However, a few odd things happened that revealed how surface-level the hospitality runs. The first thing was that I made sure to book a room on the top floor to ensure no one would be walking above us. When we arrived, however, we found we'd been given a different room. I showed him my printout but he'd already given that room away to other guests. He did allow us to choose a different room, but it was smaller and had the ripped chair and burn holes in the carpet and by the end of our stay, we heard every single person go up and down the stairs. To top it all off, at checkout Jack charged us a higher price than what we were quoted. I again showed him my original printed out receipt (thank goodness I had that thing), and he did change it, but he left an impression of a smiling, skeevy landlord.

Also, some things are not well advertised on the website - if at all - like the fact that there is NO PARKING near the place. You must pay 15 dollars a day to use Jack's parking permit or else you will be ticketed. There is also nothing in the room besides a bed and a desk - no TV or any other electronics. We wish we'd known these things up front.

Lastly, let me say that my husband and I are not picky travelers. We have slept in hostels, trains, Days Inns and a wide array of bed and breakfast homes. We've also stayed in many countries: France, Thailand, Japan, Sweden, Mexico. Thus, we can confidently say that the Kalorama Guesthouse offers only average service at best.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
The host Jack is horrible. He smiles all the time. Offers food & drink to everyone. Makes breakfast even when breakfast hours is over. He upgrades to larger rooms. He offers free parking permit. Bakes fresh cookies every afternoon. He always says make yourselves at home. He says to eat & drink whatever you want and whenever you want. He let you check in early. He introduces you to all other guests in the house and engages in good conversation. He takes guests for Marriott gym for work out. He takes guests for run. He takes guests out to eat. He has the lowest room rates in Woodley Park.

If you like my horrible habits, please join me for a good laugh. You won't be disappointed. In my Buddhist culture, I can't criticize others, I can only criticize myself. 700 BC Buddha got slapped for smiling too much. But he kept on smiling.

Your Host: Jack
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

VERY helpful host, and the breakfast is great! Book early to get the room you want.

Located less than a block from the National Zoo in Woodley Park, and very near the metro (subway) station.

The place is a beautiful large brick house from around 1900, four stories of rooms.

Room Tip: If you want lowest price, choose the bottom floor ("basement"). Smaller rooms --some with...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Been to Kalorama Guest House - Woodley Park? Share your experiences!