“Exemplary accommodations and service, exceeded our expectations!” 5 of 5 stars

Swann House
1808 New Hampshire Ave NW, Washington DC, DC 20009 (Dupont Circle)   |
Ranked #6 of 33 Washington DC B&B and Inns
Victoria, Texas
“Exemplary accommodations and service, exceeded our expectations!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011

Swann House is inviting from the minute you walk through the front doors. The staff are friendly, welcoming, and extremely helpful. Our suite was extremely clean, comfortable, and quiet. Breakfasts were superb, and the staff went above and beyond to ensure we enjoyed our stay.

We spent 7 days at the Swann House and enjoyed each day...will definitely return again
A+++++

Sammy & Vickie, Texas

Room Tip: Our favorite suite was
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2011

I stayed at Swann House for one night on a recent trip to Washington. The location is great--close to Dupont Circle and the Red Line of the Metro system, but far enough from the hustle and bustle that it is like being at home.

Having arrived too early to check into my room, I dropped my bags and went on my way, returning around 6pm. I was warmly welcomed (both in the morning and the evening) by the friendly but unintrusive innkeepers. A tour of the property revealed that there is a nice swimming pool behind the house--I wish I had brought my suit!

Breakfast the next morning was very pleasant in the sunny dining room, with a plentiful Continental buffet and a very good hot dish.

My room, the Shanghai'd Away, was small but comfortable and nicely laid out, with a good bathroom with stand-up shower. Everything was clean and comfortable, and the wireless access was good.

The one disappointment was that the room was in the basement. I had misinterpreted "lower level" as ground floor when I read the room description. Though the front side of the basement is on the ground floor (described as "street level" for the basement room on the front of the house), the back of the house is below grade, so the only windows are high half-windows that look into window wells, so they are covered with drapes. There is no natural light at all. The room is also beneath the kitchen, so there is a fair amount of overhead noise while breakfast is being prepared. In the night I could also hear scratching in the walls--a sound I remember from an old apartment I once lived in in New York and which I assumed to be mice. This didn't upset me and the room itself was very clean and with no evidence of all of any critters, though I could have done without the sound in the walls...

Honestly I don't think the room price of $199 was a good value for this particular room, and in fact if I were the innkeeper I would probably re-think using this particular space as a room at all, as I don't think it represents the overall quality of the inn. HOWEVER, the Swann House still deserves four stars because it truly is a gem and an oasis with well-appointed common areas, a very nice breakfast, and very friendly and accommodating service. And while I thought the rate was high for my specific room, compared to most other hotel rates during the week, the Swann House was much more affordable.

So stay here--it's worth it--but just choose a different room from the Shanghai'd Away. There are others in the same price category that are upstairs with light.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2011

Our family recently returned from our first US holiday. We landed in Washington and stayed at Swann House for four nights. We selected Swann House via the internet after extensive research. The suite recommended for us was the Blue Skye suite which afforded us an extra bedroom our sons shared while we enjoyed the main bedroom with a lounge and table seating area. We shared a bathroom with our sons and were most comfortable. Swann House is very conveniently located close to Du Pont circle from which point we caught the metro and buses to all our chosen locations. The staff were extremely helpful and kind and the hospitality of the warmest and friendliest. Our family tucked into the delicious breakfasts shared in the dining room with other equally happy guests. The late afternoon drinks and snacks welcomed us back after a day of sightseeing and was a most welcome refresher before we headed out for dinner. Washington wow-ed us and this was in no small part thanks to the staff who looked after us so well at Swann House. We plan to return there.

Room Tip: The Blue Skye Suite has 2 rooms and sleeps 4; ideal for a couple and 2 children.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2011

The Swann house not only promises, it delivers! Beautiful room, delicious food, gracious hosts, and delightful guest amenities and service. This is an outstanding B and B. We highly recommend this bed and breakfast. There is a sweet little pool in the backyard which is delightful after a day of sightseeing. The metro is a few blocks away and the inn sits near all the great restaurants of Dupont and surrounding neighborhoods. It is a quick metro ride to Capital Hill and anywhere on the 'red line', but easy transfers too.

Room Tip: We have stayed in many of the rooms and they all have charm and are quiet.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Boston, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2011

My sisters and I were in DC for a family reunion. I had stayed here before and loved it so I made reservations for the 4 of us to stay here. I should have written a review the last time but didn't and so I'm writing one now. We LOVED this place! The building is gorgeous. The location of the inn is fantastic. It is located in a wonderful neighborhood near Dupont Circle, a short walk away from the Metro stop. There are lots of shops and restaraunts nearby. The service was beyond fantastic. Rick, the innkeeper, took excellent care of my sisters. Two of them were to originally stay in smaller rooms. He told them the IL Duomo was available, but my sisters were on a budget so they politely declined. He told them no extra charge! It is things like this that made me love this place so much. The Swann House is the best and only place to stay in Washington DC! I will most definitely be back. Thank you, Rick, for your outstanding service while my sisters and I were there.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Oceanside, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2011

My husband & I just spent a week at Swann House celebrating our 35th wedding anniversary and we highly recommend the place! We were easy walking distance from a metro stop and a longer but still nice walk to Constitution Avenue and so many of the DC sites. All the staff at the Swann were friendly, the food was very good, and each room is unique. The place really allowed us to feel like we "got away" and it had so much more personality than a regular hotel. It is a fantastic bed & breakfast!

Room Tip: All the rooms have different things to offer!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2011

I stay at the Swann House for government trips to Washington, and refuse to stay anywhere else.

The staff, service, comfort, and gracious hospitality are unparalleled in American lodging, and certainly at the Swann House's prices. In an age where business travel is usually forgettable, I will remember the Swann House -- fondly -- for many years to come.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business

Been to Swann House? Share your experiences!