“Nicely done Hotel Monaco, nicely done.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Monaco Washington DC, a Kimpton Hotel

You added Monaco Washington DC, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Monaco Washington DC, a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   700 F Street NW, Washington DC, DC 20004 (Downtown / Chinatown)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
3rd Suite Night Free!
Ranked #30 of 135 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
“Nicely done Hotel Monaco, nicely done.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2010

An excellent experience. Pleasantly appointed room, good service, and really good food (I'm talking to you Brioche French Toast and homemade breakfast sausage!). The front desk staff rose above and beyond to make my stay memorable, (shout out to Kelly). Thanx again.

I enjoy traveling with my dog and he was warmly welcomed at the Monaco. He enjoyed the water bowl at the front desk and a Humane Society function in the lobby. There was plenty of green spaces close to the hotel to walk him and I felt secure in the area.

The Dawg and I throughly enjoyed our stay and will be making the Monaco our home the next time we come to town.

• Stayed December 2010

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (321)
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2010

While the location of this hotel is good, was very disappointed in my stay. Room was on the lower level and felt like a basement, relatively small. Furnishings & bed quality were fine. Appeared to be only one working elevator. Huge pet peeve is hair in the sink & tub from prior guest when first walk in -- & that was the case at the Hotel Monaco. Most disappointing was the very unwelcoming service. Seemed like an imposition to even ask where the hotel elevators were (not apparent at lobby/entrance). Asking name & for credit card & then just handing key -- certainly for the price of the hotel, expect a description of hotel services & location of elevator. Check out person was not any friendlier. This was my third hotel stay in Wash DC in 3 months & there are certainly better options in area for price.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
hotelmanager_9, Manager at Monaco Washington DC, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, December 14, 2010
Dear SF94597,

Thank you very much for taking the time to comment on your previous stay.

I was truly sorry to hear about the lack of service and warmth you have experienced from our Staff. This is certainly not what we are thriving to achieve and would like to present you with my sincere apologies.

Please contact me directly should any trip brings you back to Washington DC. It would be my pleasure to assist you personally and thus guarantee a problem free stay.

Thanks again for staying with us SF94597. I hope to have the pleasure serving you again soon.

Kind Regards,

Stephane Vogel
Assistant General Manager
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2010

The hotel is the old Post Office building of Washington. The building is fantastic with big corridors and high ceilings. The room size is correct if you don’t have big luggage if not could be small and with lack space to storage your things. The decoration is modern and warm and you feel comfortable in there.
The bathroom wasn’t big but again if you are going to expend a weekend there is enough space.
The staff was very attentive and willing to help you.
We didn’t use the gym but it looks that have enough equipment to replace your own gym during your stay.
The location is super, at front of the National Portrait Gallery, near of the most important restaurants in Washington, a few blocks walking from the White House, the Capitol and the Washington Monument.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Bowie, MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2010

We love the Kimpton brand of hotels, the Monaco was no exception. From the historic details in the crown moulding to the hand blown Italian green glass chandeliers in the lobby, the attention to detail is always phenomenal. The best part of this hotel is Location, Location, Location. You are in walking distance to so many great restaurants and across from the Verizon center. We have spent my hubbies last three birthdays at a Kimpton, it is what he ask for ever year, a little R&R at a Kimpton!
Just another note, the room walls are super thick, we were surprised just how thick they were, we couldn't hear anything outside in the hallways.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2010

I planned my wedding for nearly 2 years so I was convinced everything would go as planned. What I had NOT expected was while I was out at the rehearsal dinner someone stole the crystal embellished sash to my wedding gown out of my hotel suite!!! The gown was only out of my sight for 4 hours during which the room was turned down and my sash (the only embellishment on gown) was stolen out of the zipped garment bag containing my gown and veil out of the closed wardrobe. The sash was on a hanger, the hanger was still in the bag but the sash was gone. I discovered this the night before my wedding, but before I totally freaked out I waited until the next morning so my parents could go home and be SURE the sash was not there. I woke up on my wedding day to the news from them that the sash was officially gone. The first thing I did was cry my eyes out on my wedding day. I then contacted the hotel management about the theft. They came up with the maids and searched the room while I was getting ready for the wedding day with my bridal party. It was NOT the wedding day morning I'd imagined at all. It was total chaos. The management was tearing sheets off the bed, suggesting perhaps I'd slept with the sash. They also asked if I'd taken out my own trash....in a hotel because it was possible I'd thrown it away. Seriously?!! It was a mess and eventually the management told me they didnt' believe the maid had taken the sash, but they had checked the room entry log and the maid was the only other entry into the room. So basically I felt humiliated because apparently the management decided I was lying about it despite having a picture of the dress with the sash at the final dress fitting and the receipt from purchasing it. I seriously just cannot believe I got robbed on my wedding day. The only offer from the hotel was to buy a replacement of the sash. Clearly they don't understand there's really only one day in your life you can wear a fake diamond sash and that's your wedding day! The room wasn't comped, the management never directly apologized to me, I even sent a letter to corporate telling them about the experience and have yet to hear anything in response to a letter and email. Once the guests staying at the hotel caught wind of the theft, they all rushed back to their rooms to stuff everything in their safes. It was SO embarrassing they had to fear for their things at what was supposed to be a nice hotel. I regret having my reception at the Monaco because this situation robbed me of the relaxed and joyful wedding day with loved ones. It became the main focus of the day when it was supposed to be the happiest day of my life! I was so heartbroken about it even during my dream European honeymoon that we saved for years to be able to go on and even more so now that I am wearing a last minute replacement sash in all of my wedding photos that I didn't even like since it looked nothing like the one I'd fallen in love with and intended on wearing when I walked into the Monaco the day before my wedding.

• Stayed October 2010
Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2010

My girlfriend and I were celebrating a weekend away for her birthday and just had an absolutely lovely time. You definitely are in for quite a different experience as the Monaco is located within the old Post Office Building. We're quite keen on historic value so the architecture and layout of the entire hotel was just fascinating. It might not be considered the most luxurious for everyone as rooms are literally remade from old offices; but they had such ingenious layouts that we barely noticed. Everything was so quiet and clean while the service was top notch. They even sent up us an amenity to help us celebrate which was thoughtful. The location is probably the biggest sell as we love Chinatown and we were right next to the Verizon Center and all of the restuarants. So all in all, a great place to stay.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Bedford, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2010

I stayed at the Hotel Monaco, Washington D.C. with 3 of my sisters for one evening. We chose this hotel at the recommendation of my sister who lives in Arlington, works in D.C. and was celebrating a very special birthday. When I booked the hotel, I asked the reservationist if 2 rooms could be adjoined and mentioned that the birthday was a special one. I was assured that this could be done. I called back about a month later, 3 weeks before arrival to make sure the reservations were confirmed and that rooms could be adjoined. I emphasized the significance of the day but I did not ask the hotel to do anything special.

When we arrived, we found the hotel to be beautiful and the staff very friendly. The gentleman that checked us was very professional and told us a bit of the history about the hotel. He briefly noted that we would have a surprise. Thinking nothing more about this we entered our rooms which were fabulous! After about 30 minutes champagne, balloons, a small cheese plate and 2 cup cakes were sent to the room along with a Happy Birthday note to my sister!!. Can I tell you that we were so surprised and happy; it was completely unexpected. All 4 of us travel quite a bit so we are used to hotels and very little surprises us. To whomever took it upon themselves to send the "surprise" ..thank you! My sister was so happy. It made our visit all the more special.

We had a great time in Washington D.C. and really great visit at the hotel. The rooms are beautiful and very well appointed. I had not heard of Klimpton Hotels before this visit nor of the Hotel Monaco...but I was certainly pleased.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family