I had read about the noise problems on some other reviews, but really wanted to stay in a central location for a couple of days of sightseeing. Since I was only travelling with my 8-yr-old, I wasn't really interested in spending twice as much at one of the other centrally located hotels and made sure my room wasn't below the ballroom. The rooms and staff are very nice, and on our Friday night stay there was some loud hallway noise from other partying guests, but I could live with it.
Unfortunately, there was a wedding on the 4th floor on Saturday night and starting around 9pm there were children and adults from the ballroom partying (screaming, having races, knocking on walls) in our hallways until midnight or later. I tried contacting the front desk (a reservations recording) and decided that since my daughter wasn't fully waking up I would just leave the T.V. on to drown out the voices and deal with it in the morning.
The next morning when I told the front desk about the noise, she explained to me that they usually don't put anyone on that floor during a wedding. She couldn't really explain why they had put us there. Then, for some reason, she grilled me about exactly which button I was pushing to reach the front desk and exactly what time the noise stopped. She said the best she could do was refund me for that night, which was satisfactory to me since I will never be staying in another Kimpton hotel.
Hotel Monaco is not such a great bargain after all. Next time I would gladly pay twice as much to stay somewhere where the hotel values all of its guests.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The luxury Hotel Monaco Washington DC, centrally located in Penn Quarter, occupies the former General Post Office and is a National Historic Building. Built in 1839, this recently renovated beautiful marble building has a stately grace that is matched by the hotel’s exemplary service and luxurious amenities. From the comfort of elegant guestrooms, you are steps from the bustling Poste Moderne Brasserie, Verizon Center, the Smithsonian, National Mall and a plethora of museums. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Agoda, Travelocity, Odigeo, Jetsetter and Tingo so you can book your Monaco Washington DC, a Kimpton Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Monaco Washington Dc
- Kimpton Washington Dc
- Monaco Hotel Washington Dc