“Great Location, But They Don't Respect Their Guests” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Monaco Washington DC, a Kimpton Hotel

You added Monaco Washington DC, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Monaco Washington DC, a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   700 F Street NW, Washington DC, DC 20004 (Downtown / Chinatown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
B&B in the City
Ranked #26 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
New York
“Great Location, But They Don't Respect Their Guests”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2006

I had read about the noise problems on some other reviews, but really wanted to stay in a central location for a couple of days of sightseeing. Since I was only travelling with my 8-yr-old, I wasn't really interested in spending twice as much at one of the other centrally located hotels and made sure my room wasn't below the ballroom. The rooms and staff are very nice, and on our Friday night stay there was some loud hallway noise from other partying guests, but I could live with it.

Unfortunately, there was a wedding on the 4th floor on Saturday night and starting around 9pm there were children and adults from the ballroom partying (screaming, having races, knocking on walls) in our hallways until midnight or later. I tried contacting the front desk (a reservations recording) and decided that since my daughter wasn't fully waking up I would just leave the T.V. on to drown out the voices and deal with it in the morning.

The next morning when I told the front desk about the noise, she explained to me that they usually don't put anyone on that floor during a wedding. She couldn't really explain why they had put us there. Then, for some reason, she grilled me about exactly which button I was pushing to reach the front desk and exactly what time the noise stopped. She said the best she could do was refund me for that night, which was satisfactory to me since I will never be staying in another Kimpton hotel.

Hotel Monaco is not such a great bargain after all. Next time I would gladly pay twice as much to stay somewhere where the hotel values all of its guests.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — The fraternity house level of noise
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (274)
Honolulu
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2006

GREAT LOCATION (Nice Clean, Safe area, easy walking distance to major sights or if too hot to walk, the Metro and Circulator are close by)

ROOMS "TO DIE FOR" (We had a Monte Carlo level room - Huge airy rooms that are playfully decorated, Really nice amenities (love the L'Occitane products and the chocolate fish with the nightly bed turn down), very quiet and comfortable after a long day hitting the pavement. The exterior of the building is just beautiful. Public areas and guest rooms are really nice and clean.

EFFICIENT, KNOWLEGEABLE, PROFESSIONAL TEAM -
We didn't get our goldfish either, but, WHO CARES? Everyone was so helpful with any requests for information and assistance. On our last night we inquired about airport transportation. The front desk recommended a cab due to the very early hour. We asked for a wake up call and didn't realize until we were in the cab that the front desk had called a cab company and made a reservation on our behalf.

If you love choosing the hour you get up, this is your place. You won't ever get a knock and someone yelling "Housekeeping" or the sound of vacuuming in the early morning. Vice-versa, you can be confident your wake up call will occur on a timely basis.

Definitely wil be returning to this property - great value, location & service!

P.S. to Hawaiian Travellers:
9 out of 10 shakas on the aloha scale, most of the staff are very friendly, but a few are a bit reserved. Completely offset by the fantastic level of service.

• Liked — Beautiful Room
  • Disliked — Requested rollaway on reservation, but f/d didn't seem to know about it. However, they were very quick to accomodate, so no problem at all.
  • Tips/Secrets — If you've never been, take one of those hop/on hop/off busses to get you around to the monuments. Beautiful at nighth
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
New York, NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2006

There was a wedding being held on the 4th floor, and any room underneath the huge ballroom was like being right in the wedding, including load music, vibrations, and all. No chance of getting sleep. Even the further away rooms on the 3rd floor were still within earshot of the upstairs party. Not only should they not have sold these rooms during such a night, many of the rooms wreak of stale air. The windows in the hotel are not functioning, and while the hallyways smell fine, some 80% of the rooms we tried to stay in either smelled like smoke, way too much air freshener, or just dead stale. To their credit some rooms were okay, but one of the front desk workers was actually upset with us for trying to switch until we found a satisfactory room. That said, the other front desk people were pleasant. Great location, could have been a wonderful value hotel, but if you're used to staying in clean, plesant, standard hotels, I wouldn't go.

Stayed July 2006
Sandia Park, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2006

The Monaco is perfectly situated in the Penn Quarter of Washington D.C. It is within walking distance of almost all the major sites, and Metro distance of all the others (Gallery Place Chinatown Metro entrance is directly across the street.) My experience with service was excellent at the front desk, especially the concierge who successfully steered us to two excellent restaurants (Zaytinya and Ceiba). My room was quite large, tall and very pretty. The bathrooms are a bit small. My business companion upgraded to one of the suites and the thing was enormous. Key here: if you do not like your room, ask to change. He did and was very happy. One curious thing was the bizarro toilet flushers they have. Very loud and not too effective. We asked them to fix it several times. They snaked the heck out of it (scarring the bowl), but never really fixed it. Eat at Poste (restaurant in the hotel; rabbit is divine.) Reference a previous writeup, not sure I understand why you wouldn't be able to have al fresco dining in the spring here, but you certainly do not want to eat outside in July in DC (it was 100 degrees for several days). Dress accordingly. Any of these restaurants are nice slacks and collared shirt type places for men. Enjoy the Monaco and the Penn Quarter.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Bizarre toilet flusher
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay out of the basement rooms
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled on business
Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2006

We stayed at the Hotel Monaco from July 11-16. Although we booked on Priceline, at no time were we treated as "second class" guests. At check-in we asked for a non-smoking room, on the second floor or above, and we were able to get into our 3rd floor room early. Our king deluxe room was very clean with two large windows. Turn-down service was offered every evening. The wine hour was great - a pleasant way to meet other guests - and on several occasions the servers asked if we would like another glass. On one evening a graduate student was present to answer guests' questions about the hotel's history. We appreciated daily room delivery of the Washington Post and the NY Times. Our room was always quiet and the bed was very comfortable. Our request for an extra blanket at 10 pm was quickly met, as was our request for help with luggage storage on our departure. The hotel location is ideal - across the street from the Chinatown-Gallery Place metro stop, the National Portrait Gallery, and down the street from the very cool International Spy Museum (kids love it). I booked this room several months ago, and after reading some of the comments on this site about the service and 1st floor rooms, I was concerned about what we would find. We were delighted with the friendly employees and the accommodations.

• Liked — renovation of historic building
  • Disliked — ---
  • Tips/Secrets — arrive early
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2006

We LOVE Kimpton hotels, they are great....at least all the we have been to so far. The Monaco just doesn't seem to be up to their standards...or mine. We stayed there a few months ago and it wasn't very good, for a number of reasons, mainly service. So I complained and they gave me a complimentary night, and this weekend we tried again....still isn't better.
For a hotel of that ranking, the service should be better. They have a heck of a time just getting the reservations correct.
The rooms....eh, they are ok, small is an understatement....I know it is is DC, but I have stayed at two other Kimpton's in DC and the rooms were HUGE...literally HUGE.
It just seems like it should be so much better than it is, and I really want to like it, but can't.
We tried the resturant this time, Poste, it was good...but we wanted to eat outside for brunch and they said they only have bar service. They have this really cool court yard and I can only get drinks...at 11am on a Sunday? Branch out....open the patio to food.
One plus, they do their wine hour at 5:30 much better than the others, which are at 5...just a tiny bit to early.

• Stayed July 2006
Toronto
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2006

Stayed over the 4th of July weekend for3 nights and from the moment that we arrived, there seemed to be a haze of "unfriendliness" that pervaded this hotel.
I have stayed at the Hotel Monaco in SFO and it is an amazing hotel and the staff never stop trying to please you and cater to your needs. Plus they are super friendly!
This crowd at the Washington property were disappointing and never seemed to really enjoy their jobs, nor did they ever go out of their way to make the guest feel comfortable or welcome. The concierge has a poor to non-existent knowledge of the city or the sights therein, which again was disappointing.
Nothing bad but nothing worth mentioning either.
Maybe it's the DC attitude, but I think that I might try the Willard next time!

• Stayed July 2006

Been to Monaco Washington DC, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!