“Best in class!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Monaco Washington DC, a Kimpton Hotel

You added Monaco Washington DC, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Monaco Washington DC, a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   700 F Street NW, Washington DC, DC 20004 (Downtown / Chinatown)   |
Hotel deals
GreenLeadersGold level
Atlanta
“Best in class!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2009

Wow! I had passed by the Monaco and eaten in its restaurant on previous trips to DC, but have always stayed elsewhere, including sister Kimpton Hotel Rouge. I had been impressed with its stunning architecture and history as the Post Office, but would the rest of the hotel meet my expectations? By all accounts, YES!

It's a toss-up to me whether a hotel room or service is more important (is the food or waiter more important at a restaurant?) but in this case I didn't have to worry because both were amazing. First, the room: I took advantage of the hotel's standby upgrade program (why don't more hotels offer this?) and got the Robert Mills Suite for a fraction of what it's worth. I know I can't compare a regular room to this suite, but if you're looking for a really special experience, look no further. Two-room suite on the corner with lots of windows, amazingly high vaulted ceilings, and a bathtub deep enough to dive into (stand back when flushing the toilet, though - there's enough pressure to go to China). Loved the glass shower and Aveda products, street views out the windows, and the NY Times at the door every morning (including Sunday!) There's also a small business center with computers for a fee, but I simply used to check in and print my boarding pass (for free).

As for the service, it equaled or surpassed the room. EVERY single employee I encountered was at the least very pleasant and friendly with a big smile, with several going out of their way for that extra service. Example 1: Pam, the housekeeper who offered to open my room door when she saw me walking down the hallway (super long hallway, like in 'The Shining') with two cups of coffee in my hands. Example 2: the attendant at the evening happy hour (not only beer and wine, but also tasty mixed nuts and olives), who offered great conversation and had even looked up the origination of the term 'church key' for a bottle opener that I had mentioned the night before. Example 3: the front desk attendant who immediately provided two great nearby restaurant suggestions when I found out the hotel restaurant was closed for breakfast. (Slight quibble: why is a hotel restaurant closed at any time, with people coming in from different time zones and eating at different hours? Also, the hotel restaurant host was pleasant when telling me the restaurant was closed for an hour between breakfast and lunch, but couldn't come up with another restaurant suggestion - surely he's been asked this before.)

On top of all this is the GREAT location others have mentioned. Yes, it's near lots of attractions and the Mall, but also attended Sunday service at nearby St. Patrick's, went to the cupcake shop across the street, and there are five different subway lines within two blocks (caught one to Foggy Bottom and then a shuttle over to Kennedy Center all in 15 minutes, took another to Dupont Circle and back for dinner, and rode one in from Union Station and another out to the airport), each for only $1.35 a ride - you can't beat that!

Finally, there were two intangible assets that sealed the deal - first Juliette, the golden retriever belle of the ball from Philadelphia who made the evening happy hour that much more enjoyable, and second, spotting Tina Brown in the lobby - if the Monaco is good enough for Tina, then it's good enough for me!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
HMDC_AGM, Assistant General Manager at Monaco Washington DC, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, November 21, 2009
Dear ‘caseyko,’

Thank you so much for this detailed review of the Hotel Monaco. We are so grateful that you had a wonderful stay with us and chose to share your comments with the World. I am sure it took you a while to write such a lengthy review and I truly appreciate your time.

Our employees will be so happy to see that their hard work paid off. This review is reward enough, although I know that Pam (housekeeper) and Patrick (wine hour attendant) will be ecstatic to have received specific mentions.

Thank you, thank you, and thank you!

Assistant General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (292)
Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Hotel Monaco in early October while visiting DC. The location can't be beat. You can easily walk to the Capitol, White House and all the museums. After reading other reviews, I requested a room on an upper floor when I made our reservation. Upon arrival we were given a room on the "1st" floor which is actually the floor below street level. They changed us to a 3rd floor room with a view of the fitness center and another roof top. Maybe the lower floor would have been better! The rooms are on the small side, but the high ceilings make them seem much more spacious. Warm cookies in the afternoon and a wine reception each evening were nice perks.

Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
HMDC_AGM, Assistant General Manager at Monaco Washington DC, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, November 9, 2009
Dear ‘Bayboonk,’

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review of the Hotel Monaco on Trip Advisor.

I am thrilled that you had a great visit in the Nation’s Capital and that we were able to move you to a higher floor after your initial disappointment with being placed on a lower floor. Due to the historic status of this building (the hotel was built by Robert Mills in 1839 and was once Washington, D.C.’s General Post Office), we do have rooms that are on street level, but below the lobby level. We always hope that the unique construction and history of the building adds charm to any guests’ visit.

Thank you for highlighting that our hotel is perfectly situated and for mentioning warm cookies and a hosted evening wine reception in the evening. The wine reception is a Kimpton standard, and is a great way for guests to meet one another, and our location does make it very easy to reach almost all of the major tourist attractions. For future reference, don’t forget that the subway is directly across the road – just in case you need to venture a little further than the immediate area.

I look forward to you staying with us again.

Asheville, NC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2009

My group of three adults was genuinely looking forward to our stay at Kimpton's Hotel Monaco in Washington, DC but we were greeted by stress and left our stay (early) stressed. They overbooked the hotel and when we arrived they made our group of 3 adults stay in a small room with one queen-size bed. This is unacceptable. We then had to argue to get them to deliver a roll-out bed. The room was then even smaller, with three adults' things, we were very uncomfortable. They refused to transfer us to a room with two beds even though we were booked for 3 nights. When we left early after the second night they attempted to charge us an extra $100 for leaving early. Unbelievable! We had already paid for our entire trip, they could sell their room twice and they try to give us a penalty charge!?!? After yet another argument they waived the fee for leaving early.
I recommend saving over $100 a night and staying at an economy hotel if Hotel Monaco is an option. The service will likely be better and the space and comfort level will be the same.
What a let down. I haven't encountered horrible service such as that from the Hotel Monaco staff anywhere before. Don't stay there.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
Dear Asheville Traveler,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of our hotel on Trip Advisor. I am so disappointed that we left such a negative impression with you and our guests, especially since I know we could have done much better.

Kimpton has achieved outstanding customer satisfaction scores over the last few years and I apologize that our great skills were not evident when you visited with us. I apologize that your weekend getaway with your friends was ruined. It was never our intention. I am hoping that our front desk agents were only inflexible because of the limited availability on the evening in question.

We hope you can forgive us and visit us again.

Beautiful Potomac Falls
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2009

My wife and I had rare opportunity to steal away for a relaxing, child-free, weekend in July. We chose the Hotel Monaco Washington because of its reputation and location. We were not disappointed. The stressors of the outside world melted away the moment we walked in. We were assigned a delightful, light-filled room on the second floor, facing the International Spy Museum to the west. We noticed that soft music played as we entered the room. The room was decorated in trendy, yet sophisticated style. Our favorite features were the uber-comfortable Kimpton bed made in the ultraluxurious Frette linens, and the soft dressing robes, woven in a leopard design! Perhaps it was the Monaco's intent that we not leave the room.

The hotel occupies a historic marble building, built and originally used as Washington's first post office. Despite being marble, and having very high ceilings, the hotel was not cold or noisy, as one might expect. It is located in the middle of the Penn Quarter, a stone's throw from the Verizon Center, the National Portrait Museum, the Spy Museum, and many, many fantastic restaurants (Matchbox, Clydes-Gallery Place, Zaytinya, Proof all get thumbs-up). I must say that Poste Moderne Brasserie, located within the Hotel, is the best choice of any. We thoroughly enjoyed brunch there. The creative menu offerings make choosing a trial! You won't go wrong with anything you order, and you just never know who you might see dining along with you!

Each night management hosts a wine hour in the "living room" lobby. We thoroughly enjoyed talking with Ed Virtue, the GM, and his staff. It is not possible for me to say enough positives about this guy and his team. They took great care of us, and made lifelong fans of these first-time Kimpton guests! They are top-notch professionals.

I recommend the Hotel Monaco Washington without reservation, and can't wait to visit again.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Dear ‘pudgecat,’

Thank you so much for your great review of the Hotel Monaco, and especially for taking the time to post it on Trip Advisor.

I am so glad that our property could serve as a relaxing getaway for you both. If you ever decide to visit with your children, please know that we are a kid-friendly hotel group and this hotel is perfectly located for them to enjoy a fun-filled and educational visit in the Nation’s Capital also.

You have highlighted all the many attractions in our area and the great amenities that we have to offer. I am thankful for that. I know that your positive feedback will be a deciding factor in many future guests choosing to stay with us.

Do visit us again soon.

knoxville tn
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2009

nice hotel beautiful lobby and great staff.
the location is perfect,decent distances from area attraction

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Dear ‘kibura,’

Thank you so much for posting a review of the Hotel Monaco on Trip Advisor. Your positive feedback is greatly appreciated, especially your comments about our great staff. I know they will be pleased to read your review.

Do come and stay with us again soon.

southern california
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2009

Stayed for two nights to attend meeting at the NAS Keck Building (2 blocks away). Location was fantastic. Room 325 facing inner courtyard, very quiet. High ceiling, strong AC, but could turn it off. Leopard print robe and zeebra socks were unusual. Robe could have been a larger size. Comfy bed (king). Some items in room did not work - phone by bed had nonworking handset and engineering was there a couple of times and did not fix it. Sound system has an orange light that refused to go off on second night so I unplugged it. First night I ordered room service - sandwich and french onion soup. The soup was terrible - do not order. I asked for a refund. Morning I ordered breakfast - they were out of yogurt so I got oatmeal, which came with a dwollop of butter melting that I had to scoop out. Menu is overpriced mediocre "french" food - they would do much better to put simpler, fresher, healthier fare on the room service menu and cut way back on the butter. (my sandwich was also soaked in butter). The second night I bailed on room service - called dominos down the street and got a mini pizza and salad in 20 minutes delivered to hotel. Faster delivery and better food than in room dining (and cheaper). I would stay here again for location and room, but would skip the room service if at all possible.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2009

We had a fantastic 7 night stay at the Hotel Monaco. We found it to be the perfect home base for seeing the sights in, D.C. We highly recommend the property and would definitely stay again.

I would recommend booking through Kimpton's website. After much research we decided to book a Monte Carlo room, as we feared the standard room would be too small for us for a week long stay. We booked it for $220/night, which we found to be a very competitive rate based on the other hotels we were considering. Immediately after booking, Kimpton's reservation system sent us an e-mail with an offer to pre-book an upgrade to a Mediterranean Suite for $35/night more if one was still available when we arrived. I thought this was a particularly smart way for Kimpton to handle this and the value was exceptional so we agreed and hoped for the best (no money was required up front, of course). Upon arrival, there was on Med. Suite left, but it was on the first floor, often maligned here as the "basement". Worried because of complaints I'd seen here, I asked the front desk clerk if he could show us the room, and he gladly obliged. The room was great. The windows do look out at the sidewalk, which is above your head, but this puts you no closer to the sidewalk then you would be on the 2nd floor (ground level) and really not much different than the 3rd floor. Sound from the street and the sidewalk was surprisingly subdued. The windows seem to be soundproofed or insulated in the living room and bedroom of the suite. This was clear because the window in the bathroom let in much more noise (not a problem). Anyway, the Med. Suite was great. A decent sized living room with a couch, and armchair, a desk, and an entertainment center underneath a wall mounted flat screen. Inside the entertainment center were the safe and the mini bar, and plenty of excess storage. The Mini-bars can also be used to store your own items, they are not the automatic-billing sort.

We found the Monaco to be a perfectly located home base for sightseeing during the week. Even better than we had expected. Accessibility to all the major areas is fantastic. You can easily walk to the White House or to the Mall if you're so inclined. The metro station kitty-corner from the hotel services the Red, Green, and Yellow metro lines (Gallery Pl./Chinatown station). One stop over on the red line you (Metro Center station) you can transfer to the Blue or Orange lines. So all 5 Metro lines are easy access. One of the Hop-on/Hop-Off double decker bus companies has a stop directly across the street on the National Portrait Gallery side. The Penn Quarter area is filled with a wide variety of restaurants too suit most any need. Plus many, many well known spots available by an easy walk down to Pennsylvania Ave. For convenience there is also a Starbucks on one corner opposite the hotel for those who can't do w/o and there is a CVS on another corner if you need supplies or water/munchies for the room. Again, the vast majority of sites in D.C. were within walking distance or 1-2 metro stops away.

We found the staff to be extremely friendly and helpful throughout our trip. The Wine reception each night was a great way to cap off a busy day. I'm a wine snob and although it was cheap wine, it was perfectly drinkable. I didn't expect to get the good stuff for free. Importantly offer beer, sangria and soda at the wine reception. They also have fresh baked cookies out on the front desk in the afternoon, and there are bar munchies around the lobby during the wine reception. We always felt at home when we walked back into the Monaco.

I would also recommend signing up for the Kimpton frequent guest program via their website. If you join this free program, you get free wireless internet at the hotel. We also received several welcome amenities when we checked in, including free continental breakfast and/or drink coupons. A very nice touch.

My wife and I found this hotel to be exceptional and plan to look for Kimpton brand spots in our future travels. Enjoy your trip!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Kimpton_DC, Reservations Manager at Monaco Washington DC, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, October 1, 2009
Hello DownforceFan,

Thank you for staying for a week at our hotel. I am glad you found it the perfect home back for Washington DC. I see you were able to take part in the optional upgrade program based on availability at check in and I am very happy you enjoyed your suite. Overall I see you thoroughly enjoyed your stay. I hope that you and your wife will be able to return soon.

Been to Monaco Washington DC, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!