I stayed here in January of this year. The hotel is located in a historic building built sometime in the early to mid 1800's that apparently served at different times as a post office, a hospital, and government offices during the civil war. The hotel is grand and quirky at the same time. Because of the time period of the original construction, there are marble floors everywhere and amazingly high ceilings. Some of the hallways that the guestrooms are located on are wide enough to land a plane in. Despite the historic nature of the architecture, the furniture and decor is ultra modern - almost gaudy. It's jarring, but once I got used to it, it grew on me. The rooms must all be different, because my room was extremely small and the colleague I was traveling with apparently had a very large room. I've attached some pictures. The same blend of traditional architecture and modern, quirky decor extends to the rooms. It may be hard to see, but the ceilings were amazingly high and very ornate. The walled in section in the corner of the room is the bathroom. You can hopefully see how little room there was between the bathroom and the bed. Just past that though, the room gets bigger again, which is where the armoire was. I was only in the room one night and so the size wasn't a problem, but if I stayed again, I'd ask for a larger room. I didn't eat here, so can't comment on any food options or the food quality. I would definitely stay again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The luxury Hotel Monaco Washington DC, centrally located in Penn Quarter, occupies the former General Post Office and is a National Historic Building. Built in 1839, this recently renovated beautiful marble building has a stately grace that is matched by the hotel’s exemplary service and luxurious amenities. From the comfort of elegant guestrooms, you are steps from the bustling Poste Moderne Brasserie, Verizon Center, the Smithsonian, National Mall and a plethora of museums. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jetsetter, Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Despegar.com and Tingo so you can book your Monaco Washington DC, a Kimpton Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Monaco Washington Dc
- Kimpton Washington Dc
- Monaco Hotel Washington Dc