“Cool” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Monaco Washington DC, a Kimpton Hotel

Save Saved
You added Monaco Washington DC, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Monaco Washington DC, a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   700 F Street NW, Washington DC, DC 20004 (Downtown / Chinatown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Stretch Out The Weekend!
Ranked #26 of 130 hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
USA
“Cool”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2009

I stayed here in January of this year. The hotel is located in a historic building built sometime in the early to mid 1800's that apparently served at different times as a post office, a hospital, and government offices during the civil war. The hotel is grand and quirky at the same time. Because of the time period of the original construction, there are marble floors everywhere and amazingly high ceilings. Some of the hallways that the guestrooms are located on are wide enough to land a plane in. Despite the historic nature of the architecture, the furniture and decor is ultra modern - almost gaudy. It's jarring, but once I got used to it, it grew on me. The rooms must all be different, because my room was extremely small and the colleague I was traveling with apparently had a very large room. I've attached some pictures. The same blend of traditional architecture and modern, quirky decor extends to the rooms. It may be hard to see, but the ceilings were amazingly high and very ornate. The walled in section in the corner of the room is the bathroom. You can hopefully see how little room there was between the bathroom and the bed. Just past that though, the room gets bigger again, which is where the armoire was. I was only in the room one night and so the size wasn't a problem, but if I stayed again, I'd ask for a larger room. I didn't eat here, so can't comment on any food options or the food quality. I would definitely stay again.

Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
Kimpton_DC, Reservations Manager at Monaco Washington DC, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, July 16, 2009
Hello Hesitant-Traveler,

Thank you for staying with us. I see you enjoyed the historical significance of the building. I too like the high ceilings and marble floors. They look great. I understand your feelings on the quirky nature of the hotel. Because it is a historic landmark we cannot change the physical structure of the building. This means the rooms come in all shapes and sizes. But it does add to the character of the hotel. Thank you for staying and please come back again soon!

1,017 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2009

Just stayed here from July 3rd to the 6th. Great location. Right across the street is the metro below the Verizon Center. Just up the block is a Dunkin Donuts. The other direction is a Starbucks. Had those each day for breakfast. Lobby is cool. Building is unique. Had a room on the 3rd floor. View out our window was to the windows of the workout center. Not great. Wished we had something else. Didn't ask. Not too concerned. Only used the room to sleep. Clean room. King bed. Also right outside and across the street is one of the stops for the CitySightseeing Hop on Hop off bus which was convenient.
We arrived at about 11a on Friday and our room was ready. Very cool. On Monday we left our bags with them all day as our flight wasn't until the night. Taxi's are always right out front if you need them. Staff was always polite and helpful. They did charge me the wrong amount on the bill as we checked out. My wife caught it and we had it changed. It took a bit but no problem. They had a cool deal going where I think it was the 3rd night with a Saturday stay was only $17.76 (called "Party Like It's 1776) You can find info on their website.
Location was cool. Just a nice stroll down 7th to the Mall. We walked everywhere and it was nice. I would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Hello Lakeshow1,

Thanks for staying over the July 4th weekend. The hotel is in a great location right in the heart of China town. I see that you found some local favorites such as Starbucks and Dunkin Donuts. I am glad the staff were polite and helpful. I know they do their best to make everyone feel at home. Thank you for staying and please come back again soon!
San Francisco Bay Area
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2009

You can't go wrong at any Kimpton property with the level of service you receive. Both Victor at the Monaco, and Vanessa at the Palomar gave me service above and beyond the call of duty, for which I'm truly thankful! Due to a slight mix up I ended up at one hotel when I should have been booked at the other, these Managers handled the situation with grace and professionalism even though I am a just a regular Kimpton InTouch member. Having that level of service for every guest is exceptional. It's no wonder that I chose this hotel group more and more over the larger chains.

Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Hello Elizabeth247,

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I know that both Vanessa and Victor will be pleased to hear that they made great impressions on you. I know that everyone at the Kimpton Hotels works hard to make our guests feel like friends and the hotel feel like home. Thank you for staying and please come back again!
Charleston, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2009

My wife and I were in D.C. to attend the wedding of our friend's son. Hotel Monaco was the hotel they chose to use for the wedding party and guests.

It is an excellent hotel with a fabulous location. Because it was originally the Federal Post Office building it has the grand and stately appearance typical of old government buildings. The renovation and conversion into a hotel has been very nicely done.

TENNDAWG's review of June 22, 2009 (see below) discusses this very well and I shall not repeat. Suffice it to say that we found the hotel to be grand and the "little things" he touched upon in his review did not bother us either. In fact we feel it adds character.

Room size was more than adequate for us and the beds are wonderfully comfortable.

Location can't be beat (again see TENNDAWG's review of June 22, 2009 below for details). It had been MANY years since we were last in D.C. so we took the opportunity to do a lot of tourist activities in addition to attending the wedding. Everything you would want to see is a nice walk or short Metro (subway) hops from the hotel including travel to Regan National Airport.

We highly recommend Hotel Monaco for your visit to D.C.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Kimpton_DC, Reservations Manager at Monaco Washington DC, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, June 30, 2009
Hello Truckstop39,

Thanks for staying with us with your wife while attending a wedding. I agree that the location is perfectly suited for many travelers needs. I am glad that the hotel met your needs and expectations. Thank you for staying and please come back and visit again soon!
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2009

I have to admit on this trip, my wife and I did come to a consesus that the Kimpton Hotel Chain is our favorite. Whenever given a choice of hotels, it will be our first.

To count, we have stayed in 5 different properties. Three of these in DC and we will make The Hotel Monaco our #1 choice.

Before I go into why that is, I will attempt to temper this review with some reasons why this hotel may not be everyone's "cup of tea". First, the hotel is a converted historical building. It used to be the Post Office. Those who are glass half full (that would be us) would say that this gives the hotel charm and character - and it does. Those who are glass is half empty will not be thrilled with the small rooms. Notice I said small and not tiny. Because of the age of the hotel, it's obvious bathrooms had to be custom built in some (if not all) of the rooms. Again, I've been in more uncomfortably small bathrooms. However, I will admit this was a little "quirk" that was easy for me to get used too.

Quite frankly, if one is looking for amenities that lend to hanging out in the hotel room and watching TV, you probably won't have the experience you're looking for here. While I was there on pleasure, my wife was there on business. I did bring my laptop with me and would have found the workspace/desk quite adequate. As a Kimpton Frequent guest member, we received free wi-fi so I was good.

If you're there as a tourist, you can't pick a better location. Just start with your arrival. If you're coming from Reagan, just take the Metro to the Chinatown/Gallery stop (make sure you come of the 7th&F street exit) and you're catty-corner from the hotel. From de-planing (w/ carry on luggage) to opening hotel room door it was 40 minutes!

Also, if you're there as a tourist all you want is comfortable bed & quite room at night and this hotel has it for you. If you're hungry you are less than 2 blocks from enough world class dining (and inexpensive dining too!) that you won't have to eat at the same restaurant 2x (if you choose). The National Portrait Gallery is across the street, the International Spy Museum is 1 block over, Fords theater is about 4 blocks, you're 2 blocks from the National Archives & 3-4 blocks from the mall and all the smithosonian you can handle.

If you want to relax in the hotel, The Hotel Monaco offers Kimpton's traditional managers wine reception every day @ 5p. But they also have popsicles and free wi-fi (not to mentione non-alcholic drinks) for the kids.

But all of this pales in comparison to why my wife and I really love Kimpton hotels - it's the staff! In all of my stays at Kimpton hotels I've only had one questionable experience with staff and it wasn't on this trip.

Due to it's location to food, transportation and sites this is our #1 choice for our future stays in DC.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
Hello Tenndawg,

Wow thank you for the great compliment both for our hotel and that of Kimpton Hotels as a whole. You said it all. We appreciate your returning to the Kimpton Group and we’ll do our best the Monaco to keep you happy each and every time you come back. Thank you again and please join us again soon!
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2009

I took my family to DC for the Memorial Day weekend and spent two nights at Hotel Monaco. As other reviewers pointed out, the hotel is in a 170-year old historical building constructed in marble. Therefore, the room's layout and dimension is kind of odd from modern hotel standards. The room we had has one king-size bed, which occupies half of the room. But the ceiling is very tall, which may suggest our great, great grandfathers were 8 feet tall?

What lacks or confines the space and comfort of the room was made up by the location and service of the hotel. Our two young boys enjoyed the walk to the Natural History, as well as Air and Space Museums, although they did complain on the way back since they used up all the energy. The neighborhood near Verizon Center is more culturally diversified to offer a bit of everything.

My elder boy was unfortunately stricken by the famed DC pollen during our visit. The concierge on duty, Kimberly, was quick to help us to locate medical service and subsequent needs. My son recovered well after a night's rest and we hit the museums on the next day.

While the modern decor strikes me as out of sync with this historical building, travelers can expect great location and service to add colors to their DC visit.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Kimpton_DC, Reservations Manager at Monaco Washington DC, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, May 29, 2009
Hello Whipp00rwill

Thank you for bringing your family to stay with us during your recent visit to Washington DC. I am glad that you liked the location of the hotel. I am sorry one of your son’s got sick with allergies but I am glad that Kimberly was able to help final a remedy. Thank you for staying and please bring your family back again soon!
Seattle, WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2009

Stayed at this property for a business meeting. I wouldn't have chosen the place myself, but the client booked the room. Upon arrival, you'll find that you (or a valet) will have to carry your luggage up several steps to get to the lobby. Once inside, the service was prompt and helpful.

My room was located on the third floor. The interior hallways are long with high ceilings. It's a little edgy. The room was a nice size, and furnished with the types of details that make business travel bearable (good toiletries, didn't gouge on the bottled water, wall-mounted flat screen, free wifi (with registration for their frequent stay program), robe and slippers, mini-bar, etc.

I would stay here again. The location was convenient for my meeting, it was in close proximity to dining. They have a great outdoor patio, but it was packed as the weather was very nice.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
Hello Reston10,

I am glad you were able to stay because your business meeting was at the properly. I understand your concern about the steps at the front entrance as our building is unique in the sense it was built such a long time ago. I am glad that you like the hotel and the room and the amenities found inside. I am glad we turned your opinion around from when you first stepped into the hotel. Please come back and visit again soon!

Been to Monaco Washington DC, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!