“Another wonderful Kimpton!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Monaco Washington DC, a Kimpton Hotel

You added Monaco Washington DC, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Monaco Washington DC, a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   700 F Street NW, Washington DC, DC 20004 (Downtown / Chinatown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
3rd Night Free!
Ranked #30 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
Churchton, Maryland
“Another wonderful Kimpton!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

I stayed a few nights in this hotel this week, and thought the staff was exceptionally friendly, even by Kimpton standards. From the check-in to wine hour, to hunting something down in the middle of the night, every one I encountered was genuinely warm, and actively sought to make our stay a good one. The building is gorgeous -- the original US Post office and then the Tariff Building. They've done a gorgeous renovation that honors the historic architecture while keeping the "look" they're known for. My favorite of the Monacos.

Room Tip: We had an even-numbered room, which put us on the outside (street view) of the building. I expect th...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
GM1004, General Manager at Monaco Washington DC, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, April 29, 2014
Aww Janebeard, very high praise indeed, my favorite of the Monaco's is about all I can ask for. Thank you so much for your review and for being a loyal fan - I'd love to say hello on a future visit!
Ed - Monaco DC GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

Thanks to their support of the Washington Area Bicyclists Association, I won (paid good cash as a donation) a night's stay at the Hotel Monaco figuring I'd treat my wife to a night on the town. Well did I ever earn major points! Our stay was a seamless and luxurious treat from check-in before dinner to a delicious breakfast at Poste (in the hotel) and check-out. From the amazing decor to the super plush rooms (amazing high ceilings you won't find in many hotels), we loved our night of luxury. "Wild side" bathrobes with giraffe and zebra prints were a fun touch. But the best surprise was the quiet - it was the best night's sleep we've had in weeks! Thanks to Greg Winger and all the team who helped arrange our stay!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
An amazing review Jeff M - many thanks for staying with us - and for supporting our friends at WABA! As an avid cyclist and user/appreciator of the DC bike commuter routes, we know they do great work in support of the community. (Did you get to check out a Kimpton bike?) I'm glad Greg was able to help you out and get things just right - hopefully we'll see you again for another fantastic staycation!
Kerhonkson, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

Stayed last week with my 2 sons (12,16). Staff were fabulous. Very friendly and helpful! We didn't go to the restaurant -way to pricey-but found lots of local places much more reasonable. Room was nice BUT my son has terrible allergies and being on the bottom level (below street level) he really struggled with coughing and congestion. I'm sure it was the carpeting in the room. Other than that our stay was great!

Stayed April 2014
Thank you for a great review Robin1614 - as an allergy sufferer myself, I can empathize with your son. Unfortunately this time of year in Washington is world famous for our allergy season - and I know firsthand what that is like with the high pollen counts. We hope you all come back when things are a little more seasonable for you!
Best
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

First disclaimer: I am a huge fan of the Kimpton chain of hotels. Being an Intouch member (free sign up), gives you free Wi-Fi access, $10 credit for the restaurant/minibar and a morning paper of your choice. Generally, the service and quality of the hotel exceed other chains relative to price, decor, restaurant/food choices, lobby amenities, valet parking, etc. But, what sets this particular hotel from all others in the DC area is the exceptional location. The Smithsonian Art Museum is across the street, the Spy Museum is next door, the White House is 8 blocks away, and Shake Shack is on the next corner. The immediate surrounding neighborhood is safe and full of cool shops, cafes, etc. The hotel staff is also so friendly and accomodating. We were immediately upgraded to a larger room at no additional charge when I didn't receive an online request for a room upgrade. There's no place I'd rather choose to stay in the area for my young family.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
First off CristinaP73, I am a huge fan of people who are huge fans of Kimpton Hotels! Many thanks for your loyalty and recognition. We truly do have the best location of any Kimpton anywhere (but don't tell the other hotels that!). I appreciate the kind words, and we hope your family always will stay with us at Monaco DC.
Best
Brussels, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

A great Kimpton hotel in a magnificent building. This hotel is located in the old post office of washington dc and the hallways are huge as well as the rooms. The height of the ceilings is beyond spectacular. The service in this hotel is great and there are super friendly people at the front desk. As an inner circle member i am sure i will come back to this hotel. The only thing that could be better is the amount of dust behind the bed. I would recommend this hotel to anybody. Being able to sleep in such a building is just amazing.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Many thanks for your kind words and appreciation of our Grande Dame Emmanuel V. We hope you do indeed come back again soon.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

This was a really great place to stay, beautiful historic post office converted into a charming hotel. Amazing location 2 blocks from the Mall!, really friendly staff, great service, stylish and charming. Cannot wait to return.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
We cannot wait for you to return either Annemarie W. Thank you for the kind words, and especially recognizing our staff, whole make all the magic happen (that isn't related to location anyway!)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

Easter weekend/Spring Break...a crazy tourist time in DC. I booked a room for my parents and nephew who were visiting for the long weekend. I reserved and paid for the Monte Carlo room, but it turns out it wasn't a great choice for a couple with a young child. Thaxton at the front desk was fantastic! He upgraded us to a suite to accommodate my poor planning and was incredibly helpful explaining the sights and amenities the hotel has to offer. Could not ask for a better service experience - Thank You Hotel Monaco!!!

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Thank you Biscuit202 for the great review! I love hearing that we were able to be flexible and make things just right for your family - Thaxton to the rescue!
Please come back again soon - we have plenty of suites!
Ed - Monaco DC GM

Been to Monaco Washington DC, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!