“My favorite hotel in DC” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Monaco Washington DC, a Kimpton Hotel

You added Monaco Washington DC, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Monaco Washington DC, a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   700 F Street NW, Washington DC, DC 20004 (Downtown / Chinatown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
3rd Suite Night Free!
Ranked #33 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersGold level
Easton, MD, USA
“My favorite hotel in DC”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

I just arrived home after a 12 day business trip to Washington, DC. I spent long days outside on the Nationl Mall overseeing the setup of a big event under a tent. What made me able to carry on was the bright and helpful early morning staff ( e.g. Front desk, bellmen and valet staff, etc.) at the Hotel Monaco. Coming back to the hotel in the evening to a cool glass of wine was an added bonus. Monaco staff keep up the good work. I look forward to my return.

Room Tip: Stay away from the elevators and ice machines. Which of course is the case with all hotels. I prefer...
Green Features: I like the watersaving practices and the $5 credit for participating.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (288)
Los Angeles, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

I have stayed at the Monaco in D.C. several times. It is centrally located for business or tourism. You couldn't ask for a better location--close to major sites, transportation, and the Mall. Plus, the hotel is quite nice, well decorated and appointed. The staff always aim to please and are super friendly. On one prior visit, I arrived VERY early from a redeye flight and they even let me check in at about 7:00 a.m.

Usually, I would give the hotel five stars (at least for each of my past visits). I am knocking a star off this time only because I had the front desk arrange a cab for me to Reagan National this time (usually under $20). I didn't notice at first because it was early in the morning, but the cabbie didn't run the meter and instead gave me the "pay me what you think it was worth for me to pick you up at 4:00 a.m." shakedown. This was somewhat distasteful, but I'm not sure I can blame the hotel for that (unless the clerk had some sort of "arrangement" with the cab--not sure).

lynchburg, va
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

I have stayed at the Hotel Monaco on 4 occasions and they were wonderful until this trip. We arrived around 1230 on Sunday and were told our suite was not ready. We gave Douglas our phone number to call us as soon as it was ready. When 3 o'clock came and we had not heard anything we went to the desk. The suite was ready because that is what time check in was. We would have payed to be allowed to check in early but that was not offered to us. The manager was aware we were upset with a situatation but never contacted us to find out what the problem was. The server for breakfast never came to our table once she took our order. Other people brought our food and check. She was busy hanging out and talking to the cooks. Reggie and Aaron the bartenders did a great job, keeping our drinks full, taking our food orders and Aaron even went to the front desk to check on our suite. The valets and doormen are wonderful but managment and the front desk left a lot to be desired. We are booking our next trip at a different hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Providence, Rhode Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013 via mobile

The staff is amazing. The rooms are beautiful. The food at Poste is so yummy. The patio is great. Hour hour Kimpton hotels to boot. What a great place. Everything you could ask for is in the hotel. We hated to venture out. Looking forward to our next visit.

• Stayed April 2013
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

I travel to D.C. frequently for work and it is now solidly my choice of where to stay. Reasons:
1) Location: There are fabulous restaurants nearby, its across the street from the Portrait Gallery which is opening in the evening, and a quick metro ride to the airport or anywhere else you need to go.
2) Service: The staff has gone out of their way for me, honoring my room request and even upgrading me last time to the best suite simply because I have stayed with them before.
3) Kimpton extras: Love the happy hour, raid the mini bar, free wifi, choice of newspapers

Highly suggest you give Hotel Monaco and Kimpton a try

Room Tip: I ask for a room in the back of the hotel (quieter) and not the basement
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013 via mobile

The service from the staff is worth a review in itself . They are so kind and gracious . Really go out their way to help you with anything you may need , even directions .

The rooms are very boutique looking , which I liked . VERY spacious rooms(we had a double room with 2 double beds) . Lots of walking around space with a wardrobe with a safe , mini bar , iron , ironing board and night gowns.

We also had in room wifi (for free !) which was very useful .

The quality of food is also something you must try . We only had breakfast there each morning , and it was really worth it . Very FINE quality .

The location couldn't be better . Right in the heart of DC . 5 minutes from the national mall and 2 minutes from the verizon center (downtown) . Everything is on your doorstep .

Please don't hesitate staying here . Just do it . It is such a pleasent stay !

Big Thankyou to the hotel monaco for making our stay an enjoyable one.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

The Monaco might be a little bit of an acquired taste; as with other hotels of this type, it's over-designed and seems sometimes a little more concerned with appearances than comfort. As an example, while the rooms are interior-designed to the hilt, the quality of the towels and other linens are just okay for this price point.

I will say the service at the front desk is quite good. The hotel was fully booked during my stay, but after one night in an unsuitable room, they changed me to a much better room. You do need to be very careful with room selection in this hotel, however. The building was not originally built to be a hotel, and so some of the room locations are awkward. For reasons I cannot fathom, they have guest rooms in the basement; I did not have one, but a friend did and said it was awful. I was on the first floor initially, in a room with two double beds. The room looked onto the interior courtyard, and by "looked on" I mean there were tables and chairs for the hotel's on the patio a foot from my window. Luckily it was too chilly for patrons to spill outside, but I imagine in the summer this would be a real issue. The room was also located all the way around the building from the lobby, requiring a rather long walk half-way around the whole building to reach my room. I was moved, however, to a much better room on the fourth (top) floor with a king bed. It was quiet, it was comfortable, and the amenities were fine.

The only other service quibble, which I did mention to the front desk, was that two out of three mornings I had housekeeping knocking on my door at 8:30am. This seems a bit on the early side. The first morning, I can't really fault them, because I'd forgotten to put a do-not-disturb out. But the second morning, it was not only 8:30am, but the do-not-disturb sign was also out. I still got a knock and a housekeeper starting to enter the room as I woke up. That was unacceptable. The front desk was apologetic, but of course the damage was done. And on the other housecleaning tip, I found two long dark hairs when I moved into my room, one on the bathroom floor and one on the bed. Suffice to say I do not have long dark hair.

I will likely return to the Monaco since I travel to DC frequently for work and it's close to my hotel (and it's close to some nice restaurants and bars as well). But that's not saying as much as it could, because a big part of my return visit is that the Monaco is better than the other hotels in close proximity...it might not otherwise be my first choice, mostly because of the strange arrangements of the rooms themselves. But the hotel is attractive and pretty clean, a reasonable value for the quality, well-located, with nice and accommodating staff.

Room Tip: Request something above the second floor.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Been to Monaco Washington DC, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!