“Excellent Location for Business, But Some Poor Rooms” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Monaco Washington DC, a Kimpton Hotel

Save Saved
You added Monaco Washington DC, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Monaco Washington DC, a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   700 F Street NW, Washington DC, DC 20004 (Downtown / Chinatown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for $1
Ranked #24 of 130 hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
Chicago, Illinois
“Excellent Location for Business, But Some Poor Rooms”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

The Monaco might be a little bit of an acquired taste; as with other hotels of this type, it's over-designed and seems sometimes a little more concerned with appearances than comfort. As an example, while the rooms are interior-designed to the hilt, the quality of the towels and other linens are just okay for this price point.

I will say the service at the front desk is quite good. The hotel was fully booked during my stay, but after one night in an unsuitable room, they changed me to a much better room. You do need to be very careful with room selection in this hotel, however. The building was not originally built to be a hotel, and so some of the room locations are awkward. For reasons I cannot fathom, they have guest rooms in the basement; I did not have one, but a friend did and said it was awful. I was on the first floor initially, in a room with two double beds. The room looked onto the interior courtyard, and by "looked on" I mean there were tables and chairs for the hotel's on the patio a foot from my window. Luckily it was too chilly for patrons to spill outside, but I imagine in the summer this would be a real issue. The room was also located all the way around the building from the lobby, requiring a rather long walk half-way around the whole building to reach my room. I was moved, however, to a much better room on the fourth (top) floor with a king bed. It was quiet, it was comfortable, and the amenities were fine.

The only other service quibble, which I did mention to the front desk, was that two out of three mornings I had housekeeping knocking on my door at 8:30am. This seems a bit on the early side. The first morning, I can't really fault them, because I'd forgotten to put a do-not-disturb out. But the second morning, it was not only 8:30am, but the do-not-disturb sign was also out. I still got a knock and a housekeeper starting to enter the room as I woke up. That was unacceptable. The front desk was apologetic, but of course the damage was done. And on the other housecleaning tip, I found two long dark hairs when I moved into my room, one on the bathroom floor and one on the bed. Suffice to say I do not have long dark hair.

I will likely return to the Monaco since I travel to DC frequently for work and it's close to my hotel (and it's close to some nice restaurants and bars as well). But that's not saying as much as it could, because a big part of my return visit is that the Monaco is better than the other hotels in close proximity...it might not otherwise be my first choice, mostly because of the strange arrangements of the rooms themselves. But the hotel is attractive and pretty clean, a reasonable value for the quality, well-located, with nice and accommodating staff.

Room Tip: Request something above the second floor.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

1,040 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Our daughter lives in DC and met her husband there, so they wanted to get married in DC, even though we live in Florida and the groom's parents in N. Carolina. So inviting all our friends and family to Washington made this a destination wedding. But what better destination than the nation's capitol? The hotel was unbelievable! The catering staff, front desk, restaurant, and service staff all went out of their way to make our wedding experience unforgettable. The catering department, which handled all of the details for the reception rooms and food service, knew every vendor in the area, and were extremely helpful in pointing us to the best people, as well as making excellent suggestions for virtually every aspect of their function. The hotel gave us a fantastic deal on a block of rooms for the wedding guests, and the rooms were great. Quiet, comfortable and a little funky, as this hotel is an old federal post office that was rennovated. The location is perfect; close to all of the attractions, and a short cab ride from Georgetown. We couldn't be happier with the overall experience, and thought the prices were very reasonable for DC.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

So when you check in it appears very nice. Nice people at the front desk are very nice, free wine in the lobby at 5 pm. And so on. But after that it is down hill. I have stayed at the hotel 3 times now on business and will never stay here again. The first time I was put in a basement room that smelled of stale kitchen grease (the restaurant is on the street level) The second time I asked for a room on a higher level. I was given a nice room on the fourth floor but when I returned from dinner there was a group of drunk men in the room next door. I found out that they had rented the room next door out as meeting space, they only had the room until 5:30 according to the front desk but when I complained about the noise the front desk asked me to move rooms at 10:30 at night! Why not move the loud drunk group next door who did not have access at that time of night? The third time I checked into the hotel I asked for foam pillows. They not only took my pillows but the comforter and everything else and left me with a nasty blanket with no top sheet covering it. When they left me a down comforter with not cover. they don't get customer service and obviously don't know how to train their people or their managers. For almost $400 a night you would expect more. The night manager mad excuses instead of fixing the problem. Don't stay here. You will be disappointed.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
GM1004, General Manager at Monaco Washington DC, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Dear Catherine S
I know I'm disappointed - but I'm glad we had the chance to finally chat about your experience. You know where to find me if your travels bring you back out way, and I hope they do!
Best
Ed - General Manager - DC Monaco
Fort Worth, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

My husband and I decided to stay at the Hotel Monaco after a securing a reservation at Minibar to celebrate our anniversary. We noted that many of the restaurants we wanted to try were all in the same area and Hotel Monaco seemed to be the most convenient hotel to stay in order to have easy access to all the restaurants. It was a great choice.

The hotel is eclectic. I loved the historic aspect of the building. The hallways, vaulted ceilings, and winding staircases all added to the historic charm of the building.

My one complaint would be that no one assisted us as we arrived. We had to drag our suitcases up the stairs, open the front door with our arms full, in order to enter the lobby. It wasn't a great first impression but things got much better after that. The lobby was a little cluttered but otherwise I liked the decor.

Our room was ready for us early as we had requested. We were congratulated on our anniversary and my birthday. They were nice enough to leave a gift of complimentary champagne, cookies, and a card to congratulate us as well.

We stayed in a Monte Carlo room since I had read that the standard rooms were on the smaller side. The Monte Carlo room was a good size and we were quite comfortable in the room. Our view was of the street, nothing spectacular but not bad either. Housekeeping did a good job.

We enjoyed the free wifi (for Kimpton Loyalty members), the cute animal print robes, and some sake during the reception hour (I think the sake was special for the Cherry Blossom Festival, normally it's just wine and beer offered.)

Getting to the museums and monuments was a breeze from the hotel. Everything was just blocks away. We didn't need to use the metro or cabs at all.

We had brunch at Poste on the day we checked out and were impressed with our meal. We also stopped there one night for drinks and enjoyed the selections.

Overall, it was an enjoyable stay and I highly recommend the hotel for anyone looking to have a fun trip checking out the National monuments and museums.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

This is our 3rd Kimpton hotel, and we bought our pet with us on this trip. Reserved with this info, called ahead to make sure room would be ready, and also at check in staff made sure to note this. After all that, the room still did not have the pet amenities needed after several hours of flying with a pet. Had to rush back and ask, never a good start to a stay. In any case, the other front staff did a great recovery. The hotel is superbly located, walking is a breeze to the major sights.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

Located in an old post office building, the monaco is a charming hotel. The location couldn't be better and the amenities, wine, lemonade , etc. all made for a delightful experience. There are plenty of restaurants to choose from and the metro is right there.

Room Tip: No pool but nice gym.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Lyndhurst, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I alway stay at The Hotel Monaco while in DC. We come at least once a year down for a Capitals game and this location cannot be beat. Cool, historic bulding with adequate room selections for what you need or your length of stay, great place to eat at Poste as well as the complimentary wine hour each day from 5-6pm. The staff is wonderful here, so pleasant and always accomodating. While checking in this trip, I realized the date and laughed to the girl checking us in that it was our wedding anniversary and we totally forgot! Later that evening after my husband and I came back from the hockey game, in our room wasa bottle of champagne and chocolates with a card wishing us a happy Anniversary, what a nice suprise!
They sure do know how to delight their customers, always a pleasure here.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Monaco Washington DC, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!