“Looking & Staying Great” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Monaco Washington DC, a Kimpton Hotel

Save Saved
You added Monaco Washington DC, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Monaco Washington DC, a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   700 F Street NW, Washington DC, DC 20004 (Downtown / Chinatown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for $1
Ranked #26 of 130 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
Jupiter, Florida, United States
“Looking & Staying Great”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

Just back at the Monaco again. There's so much to like about this quirky boutique hotel. It's just off-center enough, and in all the right ways. (Given that it's DC, you can choose if it's off to the left or right.) I love the 4th floor - when you look up at your ceiling, it's giant, full of cool moldings and arc shapes. The stairs (who needs an elevator here) are gorgeous with in laid marble you don'd see any more. So many details to appreciate. The service is great, although the staff has changed recently and I miss some of the old faces. Coffee time in the morning and wine hour in the afternoons are friendly and warm. Great location, too. This hotel is a real gem in a city of average hotels.

Room Tip: I love the 4th floor and anything below a Monaco room is kind of small.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
GM1004, General Manager at Monaco Washington DC, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Jeff B - quirky... well I guess I resemble that remark! I so appreciate your kind comments, and truly miss a lot of the old faces too (I've been here a few years now...) though most of them have moved into other great Kimpton Hotels in the city - spreading that Monaco love to the masses! We appreciate your loyalty, and I know the new faces, like Chef's new menu, will surprise and delight on your next visit.
Cheers,
Ed Monaco GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (261)
Alexandria VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

This was a last minute weekend getaway for us. Having seen this hotel many times when we go out to Chinatown/Gallery Place, it seemed like a great place to stay. The hotel is right across the street from Verizon Center on 7th and F street. There are about 20-30 restaurants all within walking distance. It's a boutique hotel which used to be the US postal building. It has only 4 floors, floor 1 being below street level. The service at the front desk was very good...the person at the front desk told us that our 4th floor room was on the same floor as a wedding and asked if we wanted to be on a different floor. She didn't have to do that and I appreciated it. We ended up on the 1st floor, below ground, and there was a real small window...but that was ok because it was a one night stay. The room was a little small, but had high ceilings and a decent sized bathroom. It was very quiet as well, which I appreciated. The restaurant in the hotel has an amazing reputation, but was so full, that we neve ate there. The walk to the smithsonian museums is 6 short blocks. The hotel is right across from the Gallery Place/Chinatown (red line) metro stop, so if you need to take metro, it's SUPER convenient. There is also another Metro stop, Archives/Navy Memorial (blue and yellow line) 4 blocks away. We drove in from VA, and valet parking is 40 dollars a night. If you live in Northern VA like we do, it probably would be a lot cheaper to take metro (or a taxi to the metro) to get into the city. The hotel has C.O. Bigelow toiletries (soap, lotion, shampoo, conditioner) which did the trick. Room service menu was very reasonable ($10 for sandwiches and burgers), but we chose to eat in Chinatown (3 blocks away). This is a great place to stay if you want to be close to the touristy spots or come in to catch a game/concert at Verizon Center. We would come back again.

Room Tip: If you want a quiet and dark room to get a good night's sleep, request the 1st floor...it's...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Lisa B - you had me at Unique! What great comments - I thank you for your time - and you're right, our award winning Poste Moderne Brasserie is very busy, but worth the call for reservations. In the mean time, summer is coming and it's a great opportunity for a NoVA resident to grab a DC outside dining experience second to none! Let us know if we can assist with grabbing a table for you.
Cheers
Marco Island, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

This is a boutique hotel and we expected a lot more than we got for the money. The one saving grace is that the staff are totally awesome. Anything you want they will do their best to see that you get it and with a big smile. The hotel needs more work on cosmetic issues, and the rooms were very small for "king deluxe". We will say, that the food at the reception we attended was excellent.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Hi Thomas J - what can I say - I couldn't agree with you more - our staff goes the extra mile so you don't have to (and our great location has something to do with that too). They are really the element that makes this Historic Landmark unique! Many thanks for the kind words,
Leesburg, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

I usually stay at the Willard when I spend the night in DC. So, I tried a location closer to Verizon Center for a New Year's Eve dinner. I reserved a junior suite. When I got to the desk, the clerk was looked up my name and confirmed my reservation. She sent me upstairs with my key. However, she came running up the stairs shortly after and took my keys. She said she forgot to program them. OK...I was impressed by the attitude to make it right. We got the new keys and entered the room. After unpacking and laying on the bed (in a very small room that didn't look at all like a suite), a maid walked into the room without knocking on the door. Luckily we were only watching tv on the bed. Then, a guest entered the room using a room key...she exclaimed something to the effect of "not again", evidently she had gone to more than one room that was occupied. Then a phone call to the front desk. The clerk asked my name and room number. She didn't have me assigned to that room. Well that made sense because I was in the wrong room type. So, another call from the desk to confirm what room I was in. Then a knock at the door by the manager; he asked my name; evidently, they still did not know what room I was in. OK...so, getting comical at this point. We headed downstairs for a happy hour drink and snacks in the lobby. My wife went upstairs to put her purse in the room. The key did not work. Here we go again. After our screwed up stay, I contacted the hotel via email. The manager's fix was to offer me that next time I would get the room that I booked. YGBSM! I told her not a chance I would come back to an room that was not able to be secured from the inside--security issue; and after they screwed up so bad I would only come back after they acknowledge the screw up...which she at no time accepted responsibility for the defects, and after they provided some incentive (DISCOUNT for something; maybe a dinner in their supposedly excellent restaurant)...nothing, no acknowledgement, just excuses...NO WAY I GO BACK! They can't even do the core things like check people in...oh and did I mention they kept screwing up my payment...they could even let the guest pay!

Room Tip: Don't go!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear JimGAF1979 - reading this - I hope that your new year the last three months has been a smoother one than the way it started with us. My best wishes for a happy and healthy one.
Lawrence, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

This was the third time we had stayed at the Monaco and the first time we were disappointed. The location is great - across from the Portrait Gallery and an easy walk to many other attractions as well as to the Convention Center. The hotel is in the historic US Postal Building. Wide hallways and very high ceilings. When we first checked in, we had a room on the first floor. The window was partially obstructed so there was little natural light and the room was about the size of a postage stamp! After complaining, our room was changed. This room was slightly larger although not as large as the rooms we had had on our two previous visits. The staff at the hotel is very friendly and accommodating. As Kimpton members, we had internet acess in our room which is a nice plus.

Room Tip: You don't want to e on the first floor.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

We are locals who wanted to have a romantic night away in a fun neighborhood. The Monaco fit the bill perfectly. We enjoyed the wine happy hour, went out for dinner and drinks and then had a great soak in the giant bath. The upgrade is totally worth it!
The bed was incredibly comfortable, the service was lovely and the location is ideal. I would recommend the Monaco to anyone. Sign up for Kimpton rewards before your stay and you'll get $10 to raid the minibar.

Room Tip: The upgrade to the suite is wonderful.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
GM1004, General Manager at Monaco Washington DC, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Maxbmom - now you've gone and done it! Let out our little secret about the best value upgrades in Washington DC! They truly are the best way to experience the hospitality of the Monaco. We so appreciate your comments and look forward to your next getaway! Make it soon!
best
Northeast
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

First of all, it's right near the Verizon Center -- so it's a perfect location for game day! Great location overall .... there are plenty of options to choose from at night! The hotel is beautiful... the rooms were a bit on the smaller side, but comfortable. We couldn't get the room to stay at the right temperature - it seemed either too hot or too cold, but I feel that temp. control is often a common hotel issue. We also had difficulty with the WiFi - which was a bit of pain throughout the weekend. The service was great - from the front desk, to the valet, to room service. Everyone was friendly, gracious, courteous and quick! The room doesn't get a perfect cleanliness score. There were some hairs in the bathroom (that weren't ours) and stains on the headboard. Don't get me wrong though. Despite the minor issues, this hotel was wonderful. I would definitely stay there again and would recommend it to anyone that was in the area. We attended a wedding within the hotel -- it was a nice choice. Plenty of beautiful spots for photographs, hotel rooms on the same floor as the ballroom (FABULOUS!!) and good service throughout the wedding. The food wasn't the best hotel food ever - I felt the wedding food lacked somewhat, as well as the room service food that we got delivered. So while I don't think I would necessarily eat at the hotel next time in town, it would still be a definite contender for a sleepover!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Monaco Washington DC, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!