“Loved this Place” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Monaco Washington DC, a Kimpton Hotel

You added Monaco Washington DC, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Monaco Washington DC, a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   700 F Street NW, Washington DC, DC 20004 (Downtown / Chinatown)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
3rd Suite Night Free
Ranked #41 of 138 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
Cooma, Australia
“Loved this Place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

We were here for the second part of our 30th wedding anniversary trip. We had never been to Washington before.
We had the best time and loved this hotel. The central position meant we were able to walk most places. We met up with some friends for the weekend and they had organised a Segway tour and a tour of Ford's Theatre.
We loved the hotel and our room. We did not eat at the hotel at all. We tended to have a late breakfast-lunch in one.
Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

Hotel is ideally situated in the city, close to the Verizon Center, a few blocks off of the Mall, with ready access to the Metro. Building is unique, and the third floor hallways (I had an interior room looking down at the courtyard) are simply spectacular. Room rate was reasonable for the City. Room service from "Poste" was excellent and prompt. The welcome at check-in was exemplary. The room I had was cozy, a function of the original architecture and the need to use part of the original room for the bath and HVAC system. Overall a pleasant stay, with a slight markdown for the room needing a bit of paint freshening.

Room Tip: My interior room facing the interior courtyard was very quiet. I didn't rent a car, and flew int...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank cooncat123
Bridgewater, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Went for a short family trip to DC in early Jan. This hotel is in the middle of many great sites, stores and museums. We walked a lot, did not drive the car and had a great time.
rooms are spacious and well furnished. One spot of humidity on wall and ceilling over the headboard. Restaurant "Poste" was tasty for dinner and breakfast.
Had also one breakfast in the room and the croissant was bland.
Everyone was very helpful and the check in/out was seamless. We would go back if in the area.

Room Tip: On3rd floor, no noise from F street.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Interlochen
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Although a regular at Kimpton Hotels, this was my first at this property in DC, usually staying at the Palomar on the other side of town. Housed in a huge former federal office building/post office, the huge public spaces, columns, marble and woodwork of 120 years ago make this a unique spot. My room was spacious, beautifully equipped as always, spotless, with 15' ceilings and a huge window about as high as the ceiling. The hotel is quiet, the front desk staff attentive, and remember your name, the staff pleasant, and the food at Poste quite good. The hotel is close to museums, the Mall, Capitol and major Federal office buildings, as well as Union Station. For the price and value, why pay more in my view? Another hit for the Kimpton franchise.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Jeffrey K
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013 via mobile

What a wonderful cute hotel! Flew in this past weekend for my brother's 50th birthday and stayed here overnight. Killer location with a very professional staff. Everyone was pleasant and extremely helpful. Only negative was the waitress at restaurant when we had breakfast. Her service was slow and she would disappear for long period of time. What made up for her terrible service was the excellent quality of food. Nevertheless, it was a great time. Highly recommend!!

• Stayed January 2013
Waterford, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

We stayed recently for a night in the town (DC) to see the Wizards. We were a group of 3 families (1 couple; 2 families) traveling. My rating is mixed.

5 stars:

Location - great for Verizon Center, metro, shopping, etc.

Room was nicely decorated & comfortable, including bed. TV - nice flatscreen; bathroom clean & pleasant. For price (paid through Amex points), I have no complaints about room.

Bar (Poste): (Fri night in January after 10:30) was hoppin' - if you don't mind being late 40s amongst a bunch of 20-somethings... & service was good.

3 stars:

Service - Mediocre at best. No one seemed happy to be there. While I understand they are working, aren't they supposed to make you feel more welcome? Also when I called to find out about rates for a family of 5 (we were 3 families traveling), the first customer service rep was not very friendly and implied we couldn't put 5 in a room because of DC fire code. However, when I called Sales Agents in morning, it was no problem.

Elevator - cold.

Hotel Space - a bit weird. It is an old building so it's cool in that sense, especially the wide hallways, but it's a maze; hard to navigate. More signs would be appreciated. Restaurant bathroom is far from dining area. My kids liked the design/decor of the lobby, etc, but I thought it needed some warming up. Strikes me as too eclectic or something - can't quite put my finger on it. Maybe too much green? This is just my personal opinion though, as many in our party did like it. I forgot to take room pics but am attaching some lobby pics.

Restaurant - Bar at night was fine as I said above & service was good then, but I was less than impressed at breakfast. Made the mistaken assumption that you could eat breakfast in the hotel restaurant (Poste Brasserie), but when we got down there the hostess asked if we had a reservation - just me & my 2 kids at that point. I told her no & she said that they were "fully committed at this time." I had to ask about the bar seats since she did not offer that, and then she agreed that was fine. But of course then service was slow. After 15 min waiting for waitress she said she'd be with us to take our order, but we didn't even have menus yet. I think the hotel needs to provide a small buffet for people staying at the hotel if they cannot accommodate guests in the restaurant. On a good note, the food was good.

Room Tip: 1st floor rooms are below the lobby level, level 2. We were on floor 3 which was fine.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank HerbyD428
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

The corridors are so magnificent that every evening, after a long work day, I feel I am heading to a ballroom rather than to a hotel room. The corridors are long, wide, with deep beautiful carpets, high-backed benches spaced out on each side, and glittering chandeliers! It might sound superficial but, to me at least, it gives the Hotel character so sorely lacking in most major hotel chains.

Room Tip: Rooms on either the 7th Street or 8th Street side means you can exit through the side doors and ther...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business