As a former DC resident I thought the central location in the transformed neighborhood was incredible. Close to all of the tourist sites DC has to offer and in a lively neighborhood, it is a winner. The rooms are great, but be sure to request a room on the second or third floor. Rooms on the first floor are half below grade and would have angered me. Also, some rooms are on the courtyard and you should be aware of that when booking. I found the hotel to be very good for the money, got a three day deal for $149 a night, a steal, compared to the fourth night for $359, but both worth it in DC. Just be careful, it seemed to me that the placement of the hotel in a historic building created lots of opportunities for rooms that would have been unacceptable to me.
Friends warned that the "Poste" restaurant service was poor and that was confirmed by us on three occasions during our stay. The bar staff was slow to offer, slow to serve and slow to return. The space was not busy during any of our visits and we would have drank more, for better or worse.
Our local friends had stated that they tried the restaurant on a few occasions and had "given up" because service was so poor. Breakfast was quite good, but again, the pace of the service just was not good. There are many good restaurants very close by and those would be chosen by me. It would be great if this very good hotel had very good bar service (and lobby service - none is presently available) and a good restaurant, but we would still recommend the hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The luxury Hotel Monaco Washington DC, centrally located in Penn Quarter, occupies the former General Post Office and is a National Historic Building. Built in 1839, this recently renovated beautiful marble building has a stately grace that is matched by the hotel’s exemplary service and luxurious amenities. From the comfort of elegant guestrooms, you are steps from the bustling Poste Moderne Brasserie, Verizon Center, the Smithsonian, National Mall and a plethora of museums. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Tingo, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Agoda, Otel, Odigeo and Jetsetter so you can book your Monaco Washington DC, a Kimpton Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Monaco Washington Dc
- Kimpton Washington Dc
- Monaco Hotel Washington Dc