“Great value. Great service.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Monaco Washington DC, a Kimpton Hotel

You added Monaco Washington DC, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Monaco Washington DC, a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   700 F Street NW, Washington DC, DC 20004 (Downtown / Chinatown)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #28 of 135 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
Baltimore, Maryland
“Great value. Great service.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012 via mobile

My fiancé and I stayed here for the second time this year for a work event, and we had a very pleasant stay. Service, location and accommodations were all fantastic. The only two watch outs we would share is that there is a significant difference in the size of the rooms depending on which floor/class of room you book, and the room service options are somewhat limited and maybe too European/gourmet. Overall this is one of our favorite choices for DC stays, and we'd highly recommend it.

• Stayed November 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (309)
Cleveland, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Interesting hotel,
previuosly a post office building which was renovated to make a hotel,
however bathroom in the room was like a small closet, doesnt look good,
No coffee machine in the room,
Clean, but small rooms,

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Joshua L, Assistant General Manager at Monaco Washington DC, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Good afternoon alpit,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay here at the Monaco; I am sorry to hear that it does not seem as if you had a favorable experience. You are correct that it was a post office, in fact it was the original home of the US Postal Service circa early 1800’s, the bathrooms were added during renovation, we do have several different size and layout of rooms, something to consider while booking your next reservation. We also have coffee makers available upon request as we have found this to work very well since we have complimentary coffee every morning in the lobby.

We hope you will give us another shot the next time you visit our Nation’s Capital!

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Great location, great sheets, fine bed. Interesting decor. Zebra and tiger print robes. But it seems the average room has a queen bed and is 325 sq ft. (Including the bath). I was "upgraded" to a king bed. My initial reaction was -thank you! BUT -the basement is a regular hotel "floor". Virtually no natural light, an 18" view of people' shoes going by. Mold in the corner of the tub shower. Just too creepy for me. Friends who had rooms on other floors, also all experienced business travelers, complained about the lack of a desk , or chair, etc. because of the small size of the rooms. Probably an okay hotel if you don't have to stay in the basement. There are better choices in DC.

Room Tip: Refuse a room on the first floor. It is the basement below the reception floor.
Good morning LuvsAllTrvl,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay here at the Monaco; I’m glad to see that you enjoyed the location, comfort of the bed and found our décor “interesting”. I am sorry to hear that you did not like the room size and location. We have been working on our first floor to make it feel more homelike and we hope these changes will enhance the experience for our guests. Also we are hoping 2013 will bring us new desks and armoires for all of our guest rooms.
We look forward to seeing you again the next time you visit our Nation’s Capital!

Dearborn, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

I was there 9/28/12-9/30/12 for my daughter's wedding which was held at the hotel. It is a former Beaux Arts post office from the turn of the century and is architecturally stunning. If you like the grand old style of hotel, this is the place for you. The rooms are relatively large for an old hotel, and decorated in a very lively, modern style. Beautiful appointments and very upscale toiletries, with luxury linens and great plush bathrobes. Like most DC hotels it is expensive, but the location is great and close to many attractions (Ford's Theater, Spy Museum, Smithsonian Museum of American Art are all within 2-3 blocks). A seven block walk to the Mall. Many restaurants, bakeries and unique shops in the immediate area and it is right on the Chinatown Metro. Try for a deal online, or check the website as they often have specials. Staff is friendly and very helpful. Free coffee/tea in the morning and wine in the afternoon. You will not be disappointed!

Room Tip: When you book you will be offered a free Kimpton Hotels membership. Take it and you get to raid the...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Good morning cacmsu,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay here at the Monaco; and may I say congrats on your daughter’s wedding. Did you know the Monaco was actually the original home of the US Postal Service originally built in the early 1800’s; in fact this building was designed by Robert Mills the same person to have designed the Washington Monument. I’m glad to hear you appreciated the upscale amenities offered and you enjoyed the morning coffee & the afternoon complimentary Wine Hour. As far as location, you are correct; we are most definitely positioned perfectly for taking in all the sights DC has to offer.

Halifax, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I treated myself to the Monaco during a conference trip to Washington and it made my whole trip! It was perfectly located beside the Smithsonian Art Institute and from an architectural stand point it is a knock out. The scale of the hallways, rooms, ceilings is monumental. The way it has been decorated turns it from a neo-classical period piece to a hip spot. My room was incredibly quiet, and I loved the courtyard view. The coffee and tea in the morning, the afternoon cookies and the wine in the evening were all lovely touches. I took advantage of the "lender" bicycle to tour around and it was a super time. I can't wait to return.

Room Tip: Ask for a courtyard view room, it is lovely out there.
Good morning Disneyfan41169,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay here at the Monaco; I was so happy to read that you “treated yourself” by staying with us, makes us feel very special. Did you know it was actually the original home of the US Postal Service originally built in the early 1800’s? I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed all the different daily amenities in the “living room” so lovely.

Our bike program is new this year and has really taken off; given our location it makes it so easy to see the sights of DC.

We can’t wait for you to return either the next time you visit our Nation’s Capital!

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

The Monaco is in a converted post office and the structure is beautiful --wide hallways, high ceileings, stone steps. It has a great deal of old character but with modern well appointed rooms. In the morning there are 5 different newspapers and free coffee in the lounge, followed by free wine at 5pm. These services give the hotel a bed and breakfast feel although its very large. The staff are helpful and friendly and the hotel is just a block from the metro and close to so many great restaurants as well as the MCI center and the Spy museum. I will stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Joshua L, Assistant General Manager at Monaco Washington DC, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Good morning ti727,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay here at the Monaco; you are correct that the hotel is a converted post office, but did you know it was actually the original home of the US Postal Service originally built in the early 1800’s. I am so glad to hear that you found the services and staff so accommodating. I love your comparison to a B&B, just a lot bigger and the location can’t be beat.

Helsinki, Finland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Monaco is a small hotel in an old building, located close to everything important in Washington. High ceilings, nicely decorated rooms and a touch of personality separates this hotel from the rest. I happened to stay there during the Hurricane Sandy, which naturally made my stay even more memorable. The staff is really nice and helpful and I have no complaints whatsoever. If I have a chance, I will definitely go back. If you want to stay in a place which is not so standard, consider this hotel. Not the cheapest, but not overtly expensive either.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Joshua L, Assistant General Manager at Monaco Washington DC, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Good afternoon LPekkala,

Thanks for taking the time to review your recent stay here at the Monaco; I agree it was memorable as I myself stayed in the hotel during the storm.

You mentioned an old building, not sure if you had the chance to ask, but this is actually the original home of the US Postal Service circa 1840’s. The layout and design is original to the way things were built 175 years ago, pretty cool stuff. I am glad to hear that the staff took care of you, it was tough I realize with all the closings, but I hope our evening Wine Hour helped to ease the pain.

We can’t wait to have you back again, hopefully next time the weather will be more cooperative for sightseeing in our Nation’s Capital!

JL

Been to Monaco Washington DC, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!