“Definitely unique...and great location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Monaco Washington DC, a Kimpton Hotel

Save Saved
You added Monaco Washington DC, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Monaco Washington DC, a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   700 F Street NW, Washington DC, DC 20004 (Downtown / Chinatown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for $1
Ranked #28 of 130 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
Atlanta, GA
“Definitely unique...and great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

This hotel was converted from a historic post office building. From the outside, it looks like many of the other historic federal buildings...you feel like you are walking into the Smithsonian instead of a hotel. The interior is also unique for a hotel, with extremely wide hallways and incredibly high ceilings. There are many historic aspects left intact, such as a huge spiral staircase, and other interesting details. The "feel" is definitely different, which is what boutique hotels are about.

Positives:

Great location a very short walk to China Town, Verizon Center, Gallery Place/China Town Metro station, movie theater, and numerous restaurants and bars. It's also very close to the National Portrait Gallery. If you want to be in the China Town area, this is one of the best choices.

Unique look and feel, including soaring high ceilings in the guest rooms and hallways.

Friendly, helpful staff.

Negatives:

Maybe because of the nature of the buildings interior, with high ceilings and vast expanses of space, it seemed like sound traveled. This was more evident when in the hallways than in one's room, but there was a lot of noise from staff pushing carts, moving around furniture (some minor interior construction was occurring on the 4th floor), picking up carts, and so on. Sound seemed amplified.

The wide, long halls, high ceilings, and somewhat dim lighting made for an almost Gothic experience when walking around this hotel. It was a little creepy at times in those empty hallways... I wasn't sure if I felt that the uniqueness factor outweighed the haunted old building factor...

While the room was nice, the bed was nothing special. It was adequate but nowhere near the comfort of the upgraded Marriott beds.

To enter the hotel, you must walk up stairs. This is a bit inconvenient with luggage.

I was fortunate not to have stayed in the sub-ground floor (Floor 1), but having walked down there to look around, I would definitely think that it's a less than optimal situation. It seemed sort of musty down there, and who wants a hotel room where the windows are at or below street level? Too much like a basement for me. Avoid Floor 1 unless you get a great deal. Floor 2 is actually street level.

Overall, I would probably stay here again if looking for a place close to China Town. It's not perfect by any means, but it's definitely different (mostly in good ways).

Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Joshua L, Assistant General Manager at Monaco Washington DC, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Good afternoon ATLDawg,

Thanks for taking the time to review your recent stay here at the Monaco; we appreciate the detailed positive and negative bullets. Being the historic building we are there are certain elements that cannot be changed such as the entrance stairs. I am not sure if had noticed that we are in the middle of upgrading the 1st floor corridors, as well as half of the guest rooms, from ceiling tiles, lighting, and furniture we think it is a step in the right direction.

You are correct when it comes to the location, it’s hard to beat us, we are right in the middle of everything DC has to offer, with the convenience of the Metro or a cab right out front. I hope you had the opportunity to have joined us for our complimentary Wine Hour in the living room, great place to meet fellow travels and exchange sightseeing tips.

We look forwarding seeing you again the next time you are in our Nation’s Capital!

JL

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (261)
glasgow
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

We stayed here for three nights on a sightseeing trip. the room we had was a little disappointing as we were in the basement floor, but think they are in the middle of remodelling which may then improve things there. they had a wine reception each night 5-6 which was enjoyable, and a good chance to pick up ideas for sights to see and other restaurants to try.

Room Tip: A higher floor in the refurbished part of the hotel.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Joshua L, Assistant General Manager at Monaco Washington DC, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Good afternoon holiday50Glasgow,

Thanks for taking the time to review your recent trip here at the Monaco; I am sorry that you were disappointed with your first floor experience. You are correct that we are in the midst of an upgrade to the first floor, including the public space, ceilings and 18 of the guest rooms, this will certainly make a big impact once completed.

I’m glad you enjoyed the wine hour, it sounds like you might have made some new friends as well.

We look forward to seeing you again the next time you are in our Nation’s Capital!

Philadlephia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

Stayed here for a few nights for a business trip at the Convention center, which is a 5-10 min walk away. The best things about this hotel are the location, incredibly friendly and helpful staff, and the early morning (6 am) coffee cart with newspapers. Although I didn't take advantage, many people enjoyed the wine happy hour in the late afternoon. I was placed in one of the newly renovated rooms in the basement, where there is barely a window high up on the wall. For the first night it was cozy, but after that I would have liked more sunlight. The internet worked well throughout, and is included in the price of the room. I only have 2 complaints: I used my vouchers (for not having housekeeping for a couple of nights) to have a breakfast in the nice hotel restaurant. I ordered the $12 oatmeal which was milky mush and completely tasteless. The waiter was clearly not happy to have me there and gave me the check minutes after I was served. The second complaint concerns the ambiance during the early morning coffee in the very cozy lobby area. At that hour, it was mainly populated (besides me) with adults reading the morning newspaper or checking email. So why do they have to have LOUD country music playing? Why does nearly every hotel I stay in think that people like this? On both mornings I asked them to turn it off, which they did once, but how about some soft classical music so we can enjoy our morning coffee and paper?

Room Tip: Basement rooms good for maybe one night.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Good afternoon ajlcdl,

Thanks for taking the time to review your recent stay here at the Monaco, it seems that overall it was a pleasant stay. Convenience to the Convention Center and all that DC has to offer is certainly one of our best features. I am sorry to hear that the oatmeal was not up to the standards one would expect, I have forwarded your comments to the Chef so he is aware, as for the morning music, I would agree that sometimes it can be a little overbearing when trying to enjoy the paper and a pleasant cup of coffee, we will pay more attention to this. It’s too bad that you did not have the opportunity to join us for Wine Hour; it really is a nice why to wind down after a long day, perhaps next time.

Bowling Green, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

The location was awesome. Right across from the Metro Gallery Place stop. They gave the kids a free toy pack and a goldfish for the room. The architecture and history of the building was cool as well. Right next door to international spy museum and a short walk from Fords theatre.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Joshua L, Assistant General Manager at Monaco Washington DC, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Good afternoon Blake H,

Thanks for taking the time to review your recent stay here at the Monaco; wow can’t get much better than an Awesome! I’m glad the kids loved the bag and gold fish, it’s what we like to call our “Guppy Love” program and it’s not just for kids.

We have to agree, our location is the best for all DC has to offer, we are smack dab in the middle of it all.

We look forward to seeing you again the next time you visit our Nation’s Capital!

Brooklyn, New York, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012 via mobile

I selected this hotel after watching Samantha Brown's weekend in DC. It was a pretty penny, but worth every one. My mother isn't one for travel so I had to make sure we were comfortable. The room was petite but well appointed.

• Stayed May 2012
Joshua L, Assistamt General Manager at Monaco Washington DC, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Good morning ilbdaycakesli,

Thanks for the quick review from your stay here at the Monaco, maybe I should thank Samantha Brown as well. I’m glad that you felt the money was well spent and you and mom had a good stay. Hopefully you had a chance to enjoy a glass of wine during our complimentary wine hour.

Mesa, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

My wife and I spent 4 days in Washington D C and one of the highlights of the trip was our stay at the Monaco! From the early check in to the effortless check out this hotel made everything perfect. The front desk helped with every thing we needed. The wine reception was one of the most interesting. Got to meet people from different walks of life and was something to look forward to. The room was spotless. Very nicely decorated and quiet. This is one hotel I will definitely return to and recommend to my friends.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Good afternoon 596tennislovers,

Thanks for taking the time to review your recent stay here at the Monaco; it looks like we made a great impression right from the start. Reading how the staff took care of you and your wife throughout your trip is fantastic to hear. I agree Wine Hour is a great gathering place to meet new friends and potential colleagues. Hopefully you had a chance to enjoy a meal at Poste.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012 via mobile

Great service, clean and friendly. Would definitely go back. Lots of good restaurants and shops in walking distance. Coffee shops close by too. Really enjoyed it. The staff were all pleasant and helpful and seemed genuine in wanting my stay to be comfortable and satisfying.

• Stayed September 2012
Joshua L, Assistant General Manager at Monaco Washington DC, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Good afternoon JGDcanada,

Thanks for taking the time to review your recent stay here at the Monaco; I’m glad that you found everything pleasurable during your time here in DC.

I hope you had the opportunity to enjoy a glass of wine during our complimentary wine hour or a chance to enjoy a meal at Poste.

JL

Been to Monaco Washington DC, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!