“Slept in the basement with a cockroach” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Monaco Washington DC, a Kimpton Hotel

You added Monaco Washington DC, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Monaco Washington DC, a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   700 F Street NW, Washington DC, DC 20004 (Downtown / Chinatown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
3rd Suite Night Free!
Ranked #33 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersGold level
NYC
“Slept in the basement with a cockroach”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2007

I'm really not one to write whiny hotel reviews, but I was horrified by the Hotel Monaco. My room was literally in the basement with two very tiny windows way above my head that let in no light. The smell of mildew was overpowering and an enormous cockroach joined me for my shower. There was a problem with the internet that took 20 or so minutes to resolve. I had to slam my body against the door in order to get it to lock. And I ordered room service, which took twice as long to come as the time they told me and the food arrived cold (my special order grilled cheese as they informed me they had positively nothing on their menu they could offer a vegetarian). All and all, incredibly disappointing. I stayed at the Westin the next night. Much better.

Stayed October 2007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (292)
Kaohsiung, Taiwan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2007

At first glance, I really loved this hotel. I thought the location was great and the accommodations luxurious and the staff friendly. It only took about 30 minutes for that image to be replaced by the harsh reality. The restaurant closed at 10:00pm, but room service offers a limited 24-hour menu. Since I checked in at 10:15pm, and was starving, I had no other option than to order from the limited menu. I ordered a ham & cheese sandwich. After an hour I called the front desk to find out where my sandwich was. I was told they would have room service call me. After 10 minutes I called again and was told that room service would call me. Another 10 minutes passes and I'm about to lose my temper but Patrick, at the front desk, sympathizes with my plight and makes something happen. Room service calls and makes a pitiful excuse for the tardiness and says I'll have my food in 2 minutes. 10-15 minutes pass and Patrick is the one that delivers my food. They didn't charge me for the food - but that didn't help my anger. Over the course of the 2 nights/3 days that I spent there, I found the staff to be rude, misinformed and unhelpful. I've gotten better service at Best Westerns - which actually appreciate my business. I hated this hotel and I'll never stay there again.

• Liked — I thought the location was convenient to the Metro
  • Disliked — All services were lacking
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Perth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2007

Stayed here for 4 nights in August 07 and thought it was a great hotel and good value for money. I booked through the website's "hot dates, great rates" deal which was a lot cheaper than the regular price. Strangely though it worked out cheaper for me (about $100 cheaper) to book 2 lots of 2 night stays then if I booked one 4 night stay. This is a beautiful old building that has been transformed into a hotel that has all the modern facilities. We stayed on the 3rd floor which was very peaceful. The location is excellent, within walking distance to most DC attractions. The bed was very comfortable and the bathroom excellent.

• Liked — Location, room, price
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
New Orleans, LA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2007

After ready many traveler reviews - we decided to give this hotel a try. I have nothing but good things to say! Kimberlie, the hotel concierge, was very knowledgeable and very friendly and helped us out tremendously. The room was the average size of a hotel room, but with the high ceilings, it was hardly noticed at all (we weren't in the room that much anyway). Daily complimentary coffee in the morning is a plus. The managers evening wine tasting/reception was perfect - and they kept our glasses full the whole time. The business center was a little disappointing ($5.95 for 15 minutes of internet access) since you could not charge your business center computer use to your room (credit card required, so I had to leave the business center, get my credit card and come back) but I was able to log on and check email while in for vacation. The hotel does offer free wi-fi, but I did not bring my laptop- my fault!

The hotel is right across from a Metro stop, so location is great. We were a short walk from the National Archives, and the other museums as well. Many places to eat at nearby, including Teaism - which you must try! There are "greasy spoons" as well (the Waffle Shop) and another place called the 8th Street Deli. We love to eat breakfast, so these 3 choices were outstanding.

Overall - I really like this hotel, and would definitely stay here again.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Hotel Restaurant - not friendly
DURHAM
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Hotel Monaco for a week-end get away to enjoy the museums in DC. The hotel is in an excellent location, being very close anything and everything there is to do in Washington. After reading recommendations from fellow travelers, we requested a room on the upper floors. We were give a room on the second floor, unfortunately at the beginning of the hallway and very close to the elevator. The only negative about our room and/or stay was the noise in the nighttime when people were returning to their rooms. There must not be much insulation within the doors.

Otherwise, the hotel was quite wonderful and would definately recommend to to fellow travelers. A nice italian restaurant in Dupont Circle is Othello's, where the food is excellent with a good wine selection.

• Liked — Location, Location, Location!
  • Disliked — Noise at nighttime from hallway.
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2007

RIght smack dab between Chinatown and Metro Center, this is a great hotel for people looking for a place close to the Mall and the heart of DC. The Spy Museum is close by, as well as dozens of great bars and restaurants (I recommend Ten Penh).

For what I paid for, I felt like I had to walk a long ways to get to my hotel room on the first floor. The rooms were fantastic though, high ceilings, and comfy bath robes for guests to wear. Very spacious. Hotel staff were very friendly. They even offer you a pet goldfish for the duration of your stay!

This is a very modern-euroesque hotel, not like your common everyday hotels. The decor is very interesting, and every hotel has a type of theme. If you got the money go for it, but if you are looking for a great bargain this place is not for you. Of course, DC is not known for its cheap hotel rates :-)

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — price (but it was the weekend)
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
Sacramento
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2007

The Hotel Monaco has lovely, spacious rooms, a very helpful desk staff and concierge who helped with reservations. We had already stayed in NYC & Boston on this trip and had received extremely polite and respectful assistance from the bell staff. We learned that this is not the norm in DC. Instead of helping us they often stood around on the stairs outside chatting and laughing loudly, apparently waiting to do something that would include a tip. As we later learned from our son's friend who lives in DC, it is not a particularly friendly town. The monuments and museums are worthwhile and amazing but the surrounding areas are in stark contrast. This was our first trip to DC and we had heard of the poverty in DC but the reality of it is shocking. There seems to be two socio-economic levels - very wealthy and powerful & the other very poor. Our son's friend said everybody else drives in because it's too expensive to live there. In contrast, NYC with its mixture of poor, middle class and wealthy feels much safer and the locals, contrary to rumor, are extremely helpful and go out of their way if you seem lost or confused. One trip to DC was enough but I'll never get enough of NYC.

• Liked — spacious rooms
  • Disliked — bell staff
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Monaco Washington DC, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!