“Would definitely stay here again” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Remington Executive Suites

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Washington DC
Remington Executive Suites
601 24th Street, N.W., #102, Washington DC, DC 20037 (Foggy Bottom - GWU - West End)   |
San Diego
“Would definitely stay here again”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

My husband and I just returned from six nights at The Remington to celebrate my 50th birthday. We were overall pleased with many aspects of staying here, and would like to thank Barbara, Rosemary, and Ken for making our visit most pleasant.

The building, lobby, and unit itself could use some updating, I won't lie to you. It reminded me of a converted student apartment building (perhaps because it's adjacent to the George Washington University campus), but it was absolutely fine for our needs. I really wanted to be able to spread out and not feel cramped in a hotel room without access to a kitchen and a washer/dryer, and I wanted to be in a nice area. The Remington accomplished both of these things. We really liked the secure building and the fact that everyone needed an electronically coded key to enter the lobby at all times of the day or night. It really felt like our little home away from home after just a short time.

Upon our arrival (it was late afternoon on a Saturday), I followed the easy instructions to get into the lobby where Ken greeted us with our documentation and keys. I mentioned we'd need to go out and get bottled water right away, and he was kind enough to get us some from their own storage to tide us over until we could make it to the market. Much appreciated, Ken!

We loved, loved, loved the Foggy Bottom location and being on the GWU campus. The metro is an easy couple of blocks away, and there is a Whole Foods one block from the metro, which we went to at least three times during our stay. We had no problem hailing a cab when we were in a hurry or going somewhere that didn't lend itself particularly well to using the metro. We also found the unit to be pretty quiet except for the sirens coming from emergency vehicles en route to GWU Hospital, which is right next to the metro. One easy fix for that, though, is to sleep with ear plugs, which we did. The sirens didn't bother me during the day too much -- I chalked it up to being in an urban environment.

Our unit (804) faced student housing, which I was initially concerned about, but it proved to be no problem (no loud parties or music). It might have been nice to face the other way and have the view of the Kennedy Center and Watergate, but I was happy to be up high and our neighbors were very quiet -- I never heard a sound from anyone else either above, below or next to us.

The only major glitch occurred when flowers delivered to me via UPS for my birthday (ProFlowers was used) were refused by the front office because they "didn't recognize the name on them". I had even called in advance and told them I was pretty certain my best friend would be sending flowers in a box, so please keep an eye out for them. I was assured they would get them and hold them for me in the office. Barbara was absolutely mortified and extremely apologetic when she discovered the mistake, but I still don't understand how it happened since the reservation was in my name and I had even pre-warned them that a delivery would be coming. As a result, my friend had them resent, so I got to enjoy them for a few hours rather than several days.

At the end of the day, we paid about $200 a night (once you factored in the taxes and the cleaning fee) during cherry blossom season for a place that met our expectations and provided us with a nicely-equipped apartment for our time in Washington D.C. If we ever get back to D.C., we will probably stay here again unless I win the lottery and we can pop for a week at The Four Seasons.

Room Tip: Might want to face the Kennedy Center/Watergate instead -- we faced GWU campus housing and the stree...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

14 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Edmond
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

I was in DC for 5 nights, and picked this apartment due to the price (less than most hotel rooms), free WiFi, and convenient location near George Washington University and Foggy Bottom Metro station. The apartment was large, very clean, and the bed was comfortable. The bathroom is huge. There is a nice balcony, a dishwasher, a full-sized refrigerator, and all the usual amenities. The washer and dryer were a wonderful plus. Everything worked perfectly, and the staff were very helpful with suggestions for shopping. Trader Joe's is within walking distance. I will definitely stay here again when I am in DC. It is near the GWU hospital, though, so light sleepers might be bothered by the ambulance noise.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Manila, Philippines
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

We stayed in 3 different units. The first unit, 605, we occupied for one night. The second unit, we stayed for 5 nights before going to NY. The last unit, we stayed for 7 nights. In the second unit, the washing machine and dryer did not work properly. There was still detergent on the clothes after washing. The dryer barely dried our clothes. They were furnished with the same traditional furniture. The kitchen had a 4 burner range with oven, a microwave and a coffee maker. One burner did not work. The bathrooms are old but clean. The heating was not even throughout the unit. The bedroom could get too warm while it was cold outside in the living room. Though there was a modern thin led tv in the living room, the bedroom had a small,old fashioned tv. The beddings were comfortable in all 3 units. There was no hair dryer in the last unit, though there was one in the second unit.

This is an excellent location, just a few minute walk to the Foggy Bottom Metro station. However, if one can afford to pay more, one should look elsewhere.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Louisburg, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

It was wonderful having our our little apartment for the same price (or less) than a hotel room. The staff told us where we could find a grocery store so we could use our kitchen. The washer/dryer made packing easier. Didn't have to pay for extra suitcase. The building was just 3-4 blocks from the Metro Rail System stop. The Presidential monuments were all within walking distance, Watergate could be viewed off our balcony and Kennedy Center right next to it! The only draw back was that it was near the hospital and could hear ambulances in evening and nights but seemed to stop by midnight. I felt safe there.

Room Tip: Gym with pool located across the street.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2012

Our family of 4 stayed at the Remington in late October 2011 for our Fall Break from a Wednesday night departing on Sunday afternoon. I was surprised to discover how expensive DC hotels were---worse than NYC--and I couldn't find any deals. I went to VRBO.com to see if we could find a condo or apartment suitable for a family who didn't want to break the budget with an extended visit to DC. The Remington is essentially an apartment building in the Watergate area just a few blocks from 2 Metro stops, a Whole Foods grocery store and the George Washington University campus. My impression was that the building is a mix of residents and short- and long-term rentals. We booked a 1-bedroom condo for 5 nights with tax plus a $75 cleaning fee for $850 which by DC standards was a steal. The apartment was very nicely decorated and immaculate. The full kitchen was stocked with all the essentials to cook and eat at the apartment for a family of 4 (plates, cutlery, pots and pans, frig, stove, microwave, frig, wine glasses, etc.). The apartment also had a washer and dryer. We requested a rollaway (no charge) for our daughter and our son slept on the hideabed couch which was not the best, unfortunately. The neighborhood is clean, safe, beautiful and easily accessible to drive or take the metro around the city with parking on the street. You can quickly get into and out of the Mall and surrounding tourist destinations without wasting a lot of time. We elected not to eat at any of the nearby restaurants because by the end of the day the kids just wanted a light dinner and to relax in front of the TV. The building requires keys to get in and there are few steps up to the elevator level from the front lobby. There's also a small work-out facility which we didn't use. The staff were very flexible in letting us check out a little later the final day in order to leave our luggage in the room before catching our late afternoon flight. All in all, an ideal choice for our family.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Hopewell, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2011

The Remington was a real find! We were looking for a hotel room at the last minute that could accommodate four people, only three of whom were related. So, we wanted a separate bedroom and a bathroom in a shared space rather than in the bedroom. Not easy to find in DC, unless you want to spend $400 a night!

We found The Remington on VRBO. It is a small apartment building (50 units) in the Foggy Bottom historic district. What a great location! It's only a 10-minute walk to the Metro and walking distance to the Lincoln and Vietnam memorials, and to the Kennedy Center. For you history buffs, it's across the street from the Watergate complex. The per-night rate and parking fees were far lower than comparable hotel rooms. (The DoubleTree is in the same neighborhood.) In all, we spent about $223 a night, including the 14.5 percent city tax and parking.

You can request a roll-away bed at no cost in addition to the pull-out sofa. (I must say, though, that the sofa bed was pretty awful. We asked for extra blankets to cushion the bars.) The kitchen is useful for breakfasts and simple meals. For groceries, there's a Whole Foods two blocks away. There are many inexpensive eateries nearby, including a Dunkin' Donuts and a Pot Belly sandwich place, because you're in the middle of George Washington University. Also for no charge, you can get passes to the GWU Lerner Fitness Center, which is steps from the building. I used a pass to swim in its lap pool.

The office staff is professional, pleasant and accommodating. If anything is amiss, Ken is dispatched immediately to assist you. Thank you, Ken -- the place couldn't survive without you! I've left a more complete review of our trip in a Trip List, "Washington, DC, with teens." We couldn't have asked for anything more!

Room Tip: The building is in a city and next to the GWU hospital, so there's street noise. We were on the...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family

Been to Remington Executive Suites? Share your experiences!